Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Dovster
I am at high risk for blood clots (having had a quadruple by pass) and have to get up numerous times during a flight just to walk around. I always get an aisle seat because of this but one time was upgraded into a window seat.

I boarded before the person in the aisle, sat in her seat, and when she arrived explained the situation to her and asked if she would prefer that I move to the window seat (thus inconveniencing her several times during the flight) or stay in the aisle.

She preferred that I stay in her assigned seat -- but I left the choice up to her. I believe your wife would have the same experience or, if not, at least the person in the aisle seat would be forewarned and know what to expect.
You left the choice to her??? As your rear end is in her seat? Pretty presumptuous. I agree with everything you did except sitting in her seat. You couldn't have asker her when she arrived to her seat and ask from the window seat?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by scottsam66
You left the choice to her??? As your rear end is in her seat? Pretty presumptuous. I agree with everything you did except sitting in her seat. You couldn't have asker her when she arrived to her seat and ask from the window seat?
Actually, when she arrived I stood up. It was just quicker and easier to get up and out from an aisle seat, if necessary, than from a window seat.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If someone is in my seat, they go. At that point I don't care what the offer or justification is, it's just wrong to take over my seat and settle in before asking. Plus, I don't want their cooties on my blanket and pillow.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:49 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
We've already gotten way off topic into seat switching debate, and I hate to contribute any more into the diatribes but I'm curious about this.

Say a parent asks you to switch seats so they can sit next to their child and you decline. What do you do if that child starts throwing a fit in the middle of the flight? Now their parent isn't their to take care of them.
I always travel with noise canceling headphones. If the kid gets violent it is the FA's problem to fix it.

Usually the passengers in the last row would like to move up.

What about tantrum kids with parents that ignore it? Some parents are responsible and some aren't. Hard to tell the difference by looking at them.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If someone is in my seat, they go. At that point I don't care what the offer or justification is, it's just wrong to take over my seat and settle in before asking. Plus, I don't want their cooties on my blanket and pillow.
+1
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So this morning flew ASH-ATL-PHX, on the ATL-PHX flight I boarded late when I went to my seat (4C) there was a women in my seat. So just to check me BP yup I had 4C, now mind you this women wouldn't look at me, so my gut was telling me she knew she wasn't in the correct seat. I asked the lady if she is in the right seat, her reply was "Go and take my seat." Now I don't mind changing seats if asked politely but to be dismissed, no freakn way. I asked her to please move to her own seat, by this time the FC FA asked if there was a problem, I explained to the FA that this women was sitting in my seat, and I was dismissed to sit in her original seat. The FA, then asked the women to please take her original seat, Well come to find out, she was sitting with her husband and wanted to sit with him. Now, if the women JUST told me what was happening I would have traded, no biggie, but to dismiss me, move your large arse... This is what I told her too, after 5 minutes she finally moved making a big scene and pulling the "DYKWIA" card. Her husband was embarrassed and apologized for her behavior.. He is a DM..
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:19 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by steppie
how about if your wife asked if he would mind changing seats before the passenger got comfortable?
His wife or him - they could have asked for the first neighbor pax who had arrived.

He was trading a back aisle with a front middle. Probably same seat "value". But the most fair should be seating both in the back, to maximize the chances of changing.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:35 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
...Plus, I don't want their cooties on my blanket and pillow.
Haha! You make me LoLoLoLoLLLLLLL!!!!!! ^
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
+1 from me as well. If someone asks nicely to swap seats (and their seat isn't one that I try to avoid) then I'd almost always agree to moving. Don't be sitting there trying to claim it and act dismissive and assume you get the seat. Rudeness gets no cooperation.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
+1 from me as well. If someone asks nicely to swap seats (and their seat isn't one that I try to avoid) then I'd almost always agree to moving. Don't be sitting there trying to claim it and act dismissive and assume you get the seat. Rudeness gets no cooperation.
Totally agree +1
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:10 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Mom is in Row 12 seat B. 7 year old is in Row 11 seat B. You are in 11C.

Mom asks you to switch with her. Now what?

Adding insult to injury, 11 C is EC but 12B is not. And its a transcon - 6 hours gate to gate.

Who on this board bits the bullet and makes the change?
To be honest, I'd probably switch if she asked in a normal manner. Although, I've mostly always resided between the 90-100*W longitude lines so my flights are usually no more than 3-3.5 hours when I'm doing most of my flying domestically.

I remember flying with a buddy one time and we had intentionally booked aisle seats across from each other for both legs. I think something like AUS-IAH and IAH-FLL (probably on Continental back in the day). We get on the first flight and the people in the middle seats next to both of us ask if they can switch and I switched with one of them. We were joking about it and sure enough on the next flight the same thing happened, so I was nice and switched again. I don't suffer from any issues like people have mentioned so I'll usually bite the bullet and let someone sit next to their spouse/child/friend/whoever if they ask. To me, sitting in a middle seat isn't the end of the world, and if someone else cares enough to ask, then I'm fine with it.

And that's a ballsy move asking the person to switch from EC to non EC when that person is making a sacrifice for you. I would guess a majority of people would ask to switch the other way moving themselves out of EC. But I suppose there's people that just don't care much about others and would do it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
passenger shaming

From CNN.com

Jeanne Moos reports on retired FA and her Facebook page:

Seriously, who does this on a flight?

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...aming.cnn.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Agree with both concepts. People have almost always been real nice about switching so my wife and I can sit together (most of our flights are together) so I will probably almost always offer to do the same. Last week when we got upgraded early there weren't any seats together. So I selected 1B and 2A to make it easier. Most of FC had boarded so I just asked if either would switch. The gentlemen in 2B said he would be glad to move up and sit with his father so everybody was happy
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

What a story, Esltroy! Hope you are better by now.

Originally Posted by Esltroy
GA#1: (starting to get a little tired of this guy, but still pleasant) I will clear them as soon as possible. Two people have checked in but are not responding to the page
Out of curiosity: Shouldn't the upgrades been given when scanning the boarding passes while boarding? I mean, what if the people were in the rest room? Or sitting in the SkyClub? In such a case they would lose their F seat? I did not know that this is possible... I think from now on I will always be super early ...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
I was with you until your last sentence. A member of this board as tenured as you should know full well that whether or not someone was sitting in your seat for your flight, there was certainly someone sitting there the previous flight(s). Do you honestly think DL is changing those paper thin covers on their pillows after every flight? No! So if cooties is your concern I suggest you never touch another domestic FC pillow again or drop the phobia.

Being upset because someone was presumptuous and just took your seat without asking is one thing. Reverting back to the kindergarten playground and pulling the "cooties" card is another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.