Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Mom is in Row 12 seat B. 7 year old is in Row 11 seat B. You are in 11C.

Mom asks you to switch with her. Now what?

Adding insult to injury, 11 C is EC but 12B is not. And its a transcon - 6 hours gate to gate.

Who on this board bits the bullet and makes the change?
Some people pay to upgrade to EC, might make it a no go for some
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:50 pm

Mom should ask the person in the middle seat in her own row to swap with her son.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
If you are sitting in my assigned seat telling me you are in seat X, and you are sitting with your wife, I am definitely not going to be accommodating.

The issue a lot of us have here is when someone is asked to swap out a seat for a less desirable one or someone is just sitting in our seat before we board basically demanding we move to another seat.
These two sentences I can fully agree with.

Any seat change request I make is just that, a polite request. I will not take someone else's seat unless they have agreed to it, and I will only ask to swap seats with someone if I am offering one that is the same or better than the one they will be giving up (this means that when Mrs. Lee and I are both assigned middle seats somehow, we suck it up and won't ask anyone to swap with us). And if they decline, I still thank them and then quietly take my original seat.

I understand that not everyone acts that way, and that's unfortunate, but I don't think it should lead to a generalization that all seat swap requests are evil.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
These two sentences I can fully agree with.

Any seat change request I make is just that, a polite request. I will not take someone else's seat unless they have agreed to it, and I will only ask to swap seats with someone if I am offering one that is the same or better than the one they will be giving up (this means that when Mrs. Lee and I are both assigned middle seats somehow, we suck it up and won't ask anyone to swap with us). And if they decline, I still thank them and then quietly take my original seat.

I understand that not everyone acts that way, and that's unfortunate, but I don't think it should lead to a generalization that all seat swap requests are evil.
I wish there were more folks like you. Also, whenever I make any seat change request, I always say upfront that it's not a big deal, and please don't feel pressured to move if you really don't want to.

Re: people taking your seat/the seat they want before you board, for some reason, I have encountered this most on NY to South Florida routes. Beats me why. Vacation entitlement?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Re: people taking your seat/the seat they want before you board, for some reason, I have encountered this most on NY to South Florida routes. Beats me why. Vacation entitlement?
That is also my experience on that route that I fly at least once per year.

"New York State of Mind?" - Billy Joel
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:14 pm

[Delete Please] - Just realized I dropped a UA story in a DL forum. My bad!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:27 pm

Weighing in on the idea of proactively taking someone's seat when trying to sit with a friend.

Yes, the person with the boarding pass is the person entitled to the seat. However, could it be considered a courtesy to proactively sit down in the seat.

Hear me out.....

I'm in 24C, my wife is in 18C so i sit in 18B and leave my bags on my lap. When 18B comes by I explain the situation and politely ask if he will take 24C. If he says yes, I say thank you and settle in. If he says no, i get up and go to 24C.

OR

I go sit in 24C. Towards the end of boarding I swim upstream to ask 18B if he will switch. He has his bags in the overhead, his seatbelt on and has taken a sandwich and ipad out of his personal item. It is now much more of a hassle to him to move than if i asked him before he could sit down. If he says no, thats fine. If he says yes, we cram the aisle as I gather my things and move up, having 18C get up and let us in/out, he moves his stuff, etc....

Of course, anyone who cops an attitude or demands the switch remains a pita. But couldn't this method above almost be considered more courteous?

Just a thought.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by injera
Weighing in on the idea of proactively taking someone's seat when trying to sit with a friend.

Yes, the person with the boarding pass is the person entitled to the seat. However, could it be considered a courtesy to proactively sit down in the seat.

Hear me out.....

I'm in 24C, my wife is in 18C so i sit in 18B and leave my bags on my lap. When 18B comes by I explain the situation and politely ask if he will take 24C. If he says yes, I say thank you and settle in. If he says no, i get up and go to 24C.

OR

I go sit in 24C. Towards the end of boarding I swim upstream to ask 18B if he will switch. He has his bags in the overhead, his seatbelt on and has taken a sandwich and ipad out of his personal item. It is now much more of a hassle to him to move than if i asked him before he could sit down. If he says no, thats fine. If he says yes, we cram the aisle as I gather my things and move up, having 18C get up and let us in/out, he moves his stuff, etc....

Of course, anyone who cops an attitude or demands the switch remains a pita. But couldn't this method above almost be considered more courteous?

Just a thought.

Or...You could keep your seat in 24C and simply ask the person in 24B if they'd mind switching with your wife. As a bonus, they'd get an aisle seat and move up a few rows.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cher905
Or...You could keep your seat in 24C and simply ask the person in 24B if they'd mind switching with your wife. As a bonus, they'd get an aisle seat and move up a few rows.
Sure, but still the same premise. Wife takes 24B upon boarding and asks if they'll move seats. If they say yes, great. If they say no, she moves. If she waits until 24B has settled in then it becomes a bigger hassle to move.

Of course, me being in 24C i could just ask 24B before they sat down if they would consider moving and if so flag my wife down to take the seat.

All i'm trying to say is i dont think every person who takes the seat is doing so with the attitude of 'this is my seat now, screw you if its a problem'
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Injera...I get what you're saying. Swimming upstream is no fun. The drawback with the first approach is that you may come off as a seat poacher, even though you're completely willing to move back to your original seat. That could possibly leave a bad taste in 18B's mouth, and he might deny your request "just because".
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold

Hear me out.....

OR

Just a thought.
...or ask the GA or FA to see if s/he can make this happen well ahead of the start of boarding. "Sir, would you mind switching to accommodate a family?" sounds better to me--and garners a better chance of being fulfilled--when coming from a GA or FA.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton

Hear me out.....

OR

Just a thought.
...All i'm trying to say is i dont think every person who takes the seat is doing so with the attitude of 'this is my seat now, screw you if its a problem'
I understand where you're coming from about the swimming upstream thing. You are right, not every person does it in that interest but the way that they present it may seem that way.

I was boarding an MD-88 last year. I was in a E seat and the row in front of me was occupied by a teen/young 20s couple. The person walking down the aisle in front of me had one of those 2 seats. She stopped in the aisle and just looked. The guy said something along the lines of "oh would you mind sitting in 29E?" I was in 22E I believe. He acted like the passenger who originally had that seat would just not care. All settled in from what I could tell.

To me it depends on where the new seat would be and how the person requesting presents themselves. I would've said no in the case that I witnessed since the guy acted like everyone was entitled to switch for him, the seat was more than 5 rows back (again on a MD-88), and I was really tired at that point.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cher905
That's what I was thinking. I don't think it's fair to ask someone to move back when you're asking for a favor unless it's a better seat for whatever reason. If you're asking to switch with someone by giving them a better seat, I don't see anything wrong with that. I've done that a few times. They were always happy to oblige (moving from coach to FC).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4

Hear me out.....

OR

Just a thought.
how about if your wife asked if he would mind changing seats before the passenger got comfortable?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HMO
But the airline was guilt of splitting them! If the the evil airline had given upgrades for the children too, the kids will be close of their parents!

Bad airline! .
Bad airline for giving upgrades to those parents. If the evil airline had left the parents in coach with their offspring, the problem wouldn't have arisen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.