Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat; Hilton Gold; Holiday Inn Gold; Hertz Presidents Club, Marriott Gold, AA Silver
BUMP!
This is my favorite thread, let's keep it going!

Where are those stories?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 am

I heard someone yelling at a gate agent last winter that she needs to reopen MKE airport after the FAA/DOT (not sure who's call it is) shut it down due to weather, because he needs to get home! As though everyone else on that flight didn't really need to travel.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
I heard someone yelling at a gate agent last winter that she needs to reopen MKE airport after the FAA/DOT (not sure who's call it is) shut it down due to weather, because he needs to get home! As though everyone else on that flight didn't really need to travel.
That would be giving the GA a lot of power!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Swagfndr
BUMP!
This is my favorite thread, let's keep it going!

Where are those stories?
While this thread has little educational value, it's great on "entertainment." I don't know what's better, reading about what dumb people do, or reading about how some people react to what perfect strangers do.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That would be giving the GA a lot of power!
I wanted to tell him to call his Congressman. But instead I just snickered to myself. Kudos for the gate agent for not busting out laughing.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Allan38103
While this thread has little educational value, it's great on "entertainment." I don't know what's better, reading about what dumb people do, or reading about how some people react to what perfect strangers do.
Judging by the posts in this thread, I'd think that these strangers are not exactly perfect.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AMEX DL
The movie Leap Year has a great scene with Amy Adams trying to get a flight during bad weather. The GA's are stoic. ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Judging by the posts in this thread, I'd think that these strangers are not exactly perfect.
Maybe in the mathematical sense.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Long time lurker, first time poster here with a DYKWIA story from earlier this year.

Was on a 7:30 a.m. Monday morning flight from ATL-TPA (it's the first flight of the day). Flight gets into TPA at 8:50 a.m. right on time.

After the FA made the normal arrival announcement, she came back with a second announcement. She said that there were three businesspeople sitting in the last row of coach that were late to a very important meeting. They had asked her to let everyone know that they wanted to de-plane first. Pretty sure that no one remained seated to let them off first from the back of the plane.

People never cease to amaze me sometimes.

Edited for a couple of clarifications:

1. This flight was the 1st flight of the day. If the flight wasn't going to get them to their meeting on time, they should have flown in the night before, or scheduled their meeting for a later time.

2. They could have purchased EC seats, and been first off the plane after F.

Last edited by DYKWIA2014; Aug 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Long time lurker, first time poster here with a DYKWIA story from earlier this year.

Was on a 7:30 a.m. Monday morning flight from ATL-TPA (it's the first flight of the day). Flight gets into TPA at 8:50 a.m. right on time.

After the FA made the normal arrival announcement, she came back with a second announcement. She said that there were three businesspeople sitting in the last row of coach that were late to a very important meeting. They had asked her to let everyone know that they wanted to de-plane first. Pretty sure that no one remained seated to let them off first from the back of the plane.

People never cease to amaze me sometimes.
I always hate the announcement about not getting out of your seat so you can let connecting passengers out first. This happened on a flight to ATL and MSP lately. I would venture a guess that upwards of 75% of the plane is connecting at these hubs.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by United747
I always hate the announcement about not getting out of your seat so you can let connecting passengers out first. This happened on a flight to ATL and MSP lately. I would venture a guess that upwards of 75% of the plane is connecting at these hubs.
When a flight is late, I can see accommodating people with tight connection.

But the right way to empty the plane fast is to tell people not to stop for others to get into the aisle, but that if you're in the aisle keep going and get off the plane. Let the people who aren't in the aisle yet wait; if you stop, you're being polite to one person and rude to the 50 behind you (who don't really exist because you can't see them).

When done properly, the plane empties in under half the time.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014

Edited for a couple of clarifications:

1. This flight was the 1st flight of the day. If the flight wasn't going to get them to their meeting on time, they should have flown in the night before, or scheduled their meeting for a later time.

2. They could have purchased EC seats, and been first off the plane after F.
Who's to say that they didn't plan to take a flight the day before, but due to a delay they were forced to stay overnight in ATL and take the first flight? This could also explain why they didn't have access to better seats closer to the front.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sethb
When a flight is late, I can see accommodating people with tight connection.

But the right way to empty the plane fast is to tell people not to stop for others to get into the aisle, but that if you're in the aisle keep going and get off the plane. Let the people who aren't in the aisle yet wait; if you stop, you're being polite to one person and rude to the 50 behind you (who don't really exist because you can't see them).

When done properly, the plane empties in under half the time.
I tend to disagree, and it is this attitude that sways me against window seats in FC. If I am on the aisle, I am up and grab my bags within a minute of the seatbelt sign going off. I then make room if possible so others may do the same. As the flow begins, I let those out in front, as long as they seem ready and capable of keeping the flow going. Obviously families with a lot of kids and older people who were preboarded are excluded. I often even offer to grab the window person's bag for them to speed up the process. .

I hate being in a window seat where the aisle person hogs the space. When the flow dtarts the people behind push forward, preventing me from accessing the aisle and my bags. I find this means to be very rude. Those pushing forward are likely the same people who do not believe in a proper line while boarding.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I tend to disagree, and it is this attitude that sways me against window seats in FC. If I am on the aisle, I am up and grab my bags within a minute of the seatbelt sign going off. I then make room if possible so others may do the same. As the flow begins, I let those out in front, as long as they seem ready and capable of keeping the flow going. Obviously families with a lot of kids and older people who were preboarded are excluded. I often even offer to grab the window person's bag for them to speed up the process. .

I hate being in a window seat where the aisle person hogs the space. When the flow dtarts the people behind push forward, preventing me from accessing the aisle and my bags. I find this means to be very rude. Those pushing forward are likely the same people who do not believe in a proper line while boarding.
In the west, most of us were socialized to stay in line in kindergarten. Engineers are socialized in a separate workshop at approximately age 30.

ROW it's a free for all of course. I use my defensive back skills to assert my space into the flow if needed. Or fly FC....
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
In the west, most of us were socialized to stay in line in kindergarten. Engineers are socialized in a separate workshop at approximately age 30.

ROW it's a free for all of course. I use my defensive back skills to assert my space into the flow if needed. Or fly FC....
I am a bigger guy, so using myself as defense is no issue. I just find it rude to have to push my way in.... I do it when necessary. ....

Flying FC solves nothing if in the window as mentioned earlier. If anyone believes that FC pax are more polite than Y pax, I have oceanfront property in South Dakota for sale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.