Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
OP here and in the original post (and I believe in at least one other post) I stated it was the cup of peanut butter at the ATL E club by the PB machine and one of the girls wanted to make her own cup instead of taking one off the try (not sure if it was the one with the allergy or not since I'm not sure which one had the allergy). This is fresh ground peanut butter sitting next to a machine that is full of unshelled peanuts. If the peanut allergy was so bad the entire flight had to be peanut free then why didn't she have an issue with the girls being next to fresh ground peanut butter?

I don't even know how you could get cashew butter into a skyclub. AFAIK none of the stores post security sell it and unless if it's in container under 3 oz you won't get it past TSA, my daughter tried bringing Cookie Butter in a sealed jar from Trader Joes thinking it was a solid and TSA told her it was considered a liquid and she'd have to toss it or check the bag.
Oh this is definitely a my bad scenario. I thought PB machine was a typo of some sort and that the homemade PB was brought in. Apologies all around.

Also, with a peanut allergy myself it just seemed all so bizzare.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Oh this is definitely a my bad scenario. I thought PB machine was a typo of some sort and that the homemade PB was brought in. Apologies all around.

Also, with a peanut allergy myself it just seemed all so bizzare.
NP, they have a machine that makes fresh ground peanut butter at the ATL E club (and IIRC they also have one at the F club). Sometimes you push the button to grind it yourself and on this occasion they had a tray with a bunch of cups (the solo type cups that they use for to go salad dressings in a restaurant) of it preground. It's a fairly recent addition and the PB is very good and I think it's a nice addition to the club but with all the problems of peanut allergies I'm surprised they added one in an open area of the sky club. I also don't recall seeing a sign warning people with peanut allergies of the machine. And it's not off to the side in it's own area, it's in the same area where all the other food is which would get exposed to the peanut dust.

I don't know much about peanut allergies but it seems like there would be a lot more exposure to peanut dust being around that homemade PB than there would be from someone opening an item with peanut products in an airplane.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:04 am

NP, they have a machine that makes fresh ground peanut butter at the ATL E club (and IIRC they also have one at the F club). Sometimes you push the button to grind it yourself and on this occasion they had a tray with a bunch of cups (the solo type cups that they use for to go salad dressings in a restaurant) of it preground. It's a fairly recent addition and the PB is very good and I think it's a nice addition to the club but with all the problems of peanut allergies I'm surprised they added one in an open area of the sky club. I also don't recall seeing a sign warning people with peanut allergies of the machine. And it's not off to the side in it's own area, it's in the same area where all the other food is which would get exposed to the peanut dust.

I don't know much about peanut allergies but it seems like there would be a lot more exposure to peanut dust being around that homemade PB than there would be from someone opening an item with peanut products in an airplane.
It is Georgia we're talking about.

Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
OT, but I wish they would add the peanut butter machines to more SkyClubs. If you have that with a cup of a soup it makes for a nice light meal. I have gone to the E Club before if I have had a long layover or my flight is severely delayed mainly to have that. Now if they would bring back the pancake machines they had for a while a couple years ago and still have at the Alaska clubs, I'd be really happy. The peanut butter on those pancakes would make for a satisfying breakfast and I could just skip breakfast on an early morning flight and sleep.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Not sure if this is DYKWIA or just "have you ever flown/do you listen"

Boarding a CR9 this morning there was an older couple in the row behind me (5 C/D) the man was complaining that because the GA would not let him bring his bag on board and made him pink tag his bag, that he would have to exit security retrieve the bag and come back through and they were going to miss their connection.
Then another passenger said excuse me I believe that's my seat. The guy pulls out his BP and says oh we're in 8 A/B can't you sit there?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by 3furballs

Boarding a CR9 this morning there was an older couple in the row behind me (5 C/D) the man was complaining that because the GA would not let him bring his bag on board and made him pink tag his bag, that he would have to exit security retrieve the bag and come back through and they were going to miss their connection.
Then another passenger said excuse me I believe that's my seat. The guy pulls out his BP and says oh we're in 8 A/B can't you sit there?
Uh, no. Go to your seat, it's only a couple rows back.
I guess he didn't know that a valet check gives bags back at the plane, or well supposed to anyway.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 3furballs

I assume they were quite gracious when you explained the reality of the pink tags?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I assume they were quite gracious when you explained the reality of the pink tags?
I wouldn't. A big difference in time between row 5 and row 8? If they wanted to poach, they should have at least been creative.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
FA did that, I was just more amazed that anyone could sit through the many many explanations that the GA gave and still not get it
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:20 pm

FWIW, make sure the machine is cleaned daily and refilled with fresh peanuts. Peanuts that are old or stored improperly can form aflatoxin which is highly carcinogenic. IIRC, several years ago, CU tested peanut butters including the 'grind it yourself' kind from health food stores. Those later ones had the highest amount of carcinogens. I've seen some pretty gross nut grinding machines in stores. I hope the ones in the lounges are better.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
FWIW, make sure the machine is cleaned daily and refilled with fresh peanuts. Peanuts that are old or stored improperly can form aflatoxin which is highly carcinogenic. IIRC, several years ago, CU tested peanut butters including the 'grind it yourself' kind from health food stores. Those later ones had the highest amount of carcinogens. I've seen some pretty gross nut grinding machines in stores. I hope the ones in the lounges are better.
WHAT? Aflatoxin only forms in the presence of the right Aspergillus species which produce them only under the right environmental conditions. Peanut allergies are NOT related to aflatoxins, but hepatic carcinoma may in rare circumstances only when present in a correct innoculum concentration--which varies so widely that there is NO accepted level which is considered toxic versus non-toxic.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by pharmalady
WHAT? Aflatoxin only forms in the presence of the right Aspergillus species which produce them only under the right environmental conditions. Peanut allergies are NOT related to aflatoxins, but hepatic carcinoma may in rare circumstances only when present in a correct innoculum concentration--which varies so widely that there is NO accepted level which is considered toxic versus non-toxic.
You seem to have a superior knowledge than I about this toxin and I will gladly yield to that. Perhaps the threat of peanut butter was overblown in what I read. I do remember an article several years ago about fresh peanut butter ground in the store having higher amounts of the toxin that the stuff people buy in the jar, IF the grinder is not kept clean and free of mold.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
You seem to have a superior knowledge than I about this toxin and I will gladly yield to that. Perhaps the threat of peanut butter was overblown in what I read. I do remember an article several years ago about fresh peanut butter ground in the store having higher amounts of the toxin that the stuff people buy in the jar, IF the grinder is not kept clean and free of mold.
That could be straight up mold being the problem. Cause you know mold is bad.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
As I have posted before - I own a limo company here in PIT. A few weeks ago, a customer called me to make a reservation to take her to the airport. From her neighborhood it's a 30-35 minute drive to the airport - most people leave 2 hours before their flights. She wanted to be picked up 75 minutes before flight departure. I nicely suggested leaving a little earlier. She said - - - -

I DO NOT need to leave earlier . . . .

I have NO LUGGAGE to check - and -

I have TSA PreCheck - - - AND - - -

I'm a Delta G O L D Medallion!!!

Just thought it was cute!
I would think about 30-40% of us on this thread have those credentials or better
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I would think about 30-40% of us on this thread have those credentials or better
but most of that 30-40% know that trying to convince davetravels that those credentials really mean anything would truly be an exercise in entertainment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.