Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver, SPG P+
Back to the DYKWIA topic:

Yesterday was on a flight from LAS to ATL. 757 with over 40 people on standby. Boarded in zone 1 after watching about 65 people board as Sky (and there's no way some of the people in line were GM/PM/DM; rather it looked like the first air travel experience ever for some of them). The wife and I wind up stowing our bags about 6 rows back, but were happy to find any space at all. Then the departure is delayed because the last 20-30 people (a bunch of whom must've been cleared off the standby list as I overheard their conversations about it) were allowed to bring their bags on board when it was painfully obvious that the bins were full. I watched all the bags march past toward the back of the plane, and march right back out a few minutes later to be checked.

Part way through the flight I noticed the gentleman in the aisle of our row having plenty of foot room but thought nothing of it - that is until we landed and he pulled two bags from the overhead compartment above our row, one of which had a diamond tag. To top it off, another diamond one row ahead of us did the exact same thing.

We are all just privileged to live in your world, gentlemen.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL DM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Whatever medical school issued your degree needs to take it back.

Call the parents of this deceased college student and explain their child died of a psychogenic illness.

Reach to the parents of this thirteen year old who died in their arms after eating a Rice Krispies treat that unbeknownst to them had peanuts.

I could post many additional links. The problem is people like you who think they know better. You think a peanut allergy isn't real, so, like happened with the college student, you think it's a joke and claim something doesn't have peanuts when, in fact, it does. The result of this ignorance can be death, as it was in the cases above.

Peanut dust can kill people with this allergy. It's a particularly lethal allergy. I know, your having peanuts on a flight is more important. I mean what is the death of a teenager compared to your missing out on a Mr. Peanut fix for an hour? My gosh: the horror of having to get by on pretzels! Explain to the parents of the kids linked above that their suffering is nothing compared to your not having peanuts until the flight lands. I'm sure they would give anything to have been able to stand outside the college dorm and squeeze the hands of the other kids making sure they understood the possible implications of feeding their son peanuts. How dare you begrudge parents of children with this allergy from saving their children's lives. Sorry if that's inconvenient to you.

Hopefully nobody reads your post and takes it seriously. Thinking it's fake is as dangerous as pointing a loaded gun at someone or driving a car directly at somebody.
Your rant just helped proved every little bit of my psychogenic analysis on the peanut allergy. Thanks for that.

FYI, 450 people die every year from falling out of their beds. Nearly 5x as many from the peanut. Ah, I see. This may be why Delta is getting rid of the lay-flat beds in FC. It all makes sense...

Enjoy your weekend.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by AEHawk52
Your rant just helped proved every little bit of my psychogenic analysis on the peanut allergy. Thanks for that.

FYI, 450 people die every year from falling out of their beds. Nearly 5x as many from the peanut. Ah, I see. This may be why Delta is getting rid of the lay-flat beds in FC. It all makes sense...

Enjoy your weekend.
More people in US dies from handguns in the past 50 years than ever before, allergy to bullets must be psychogenic
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL DM
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
More people in US dies from handguns in the past 50 years than ever before, allergy to bullets must be psychogenic
Ah, the Association fallacy, one of my favorite Red Herring logical fallacies...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; UA Gold
Originally Posted by met19
I'd like to point out my dog was much quieter than the DYKWIA on board.
There are of course passengers with genuine animal allergy issues, and when my wife and I travel with our cat we are more than happy to accommodate any requests regarding seating or else, and to begin with we never take him out of his carrier (out of respect to other passengers, but also because it can be stressing and dangerous for the animal). But that said, unfortunately there are also some passengers who seem to only have an allergy if they happen to notice the pet (), so in our experience the best is to of course abide by all the rules and accommodate any reasonable requests, but mainly and most importantly, try to avoid displaying the animal in the first place. We have a very discreet carrier which at first glance passes as a sports bag, (and which is also very convenient because it can adapt to any under-seat contour), so nine times out of ten passengers not seated in our immediate vicinity will not even now that we have a cat with us, and many times not even they are none the wiser. So far we have never had a problem, and we very much look forward to this continuing to be the case...

PS Any airline that goes ahead and charges a "DYKWIA-in-cabin" fee will have my wholehearted support!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by AEHawk52

Enjoy your weekend.
How does people dying from an allergy prove that it isn't real? Would you actually look at a parent of a child with a peanut allergy and say, "I'm going to eat peanuts around your kid even though he might die because more people die falling out of bed."

More people die of Cancer than AIDS. Does that mean it's okay to share hypodermic needles? More people die from heart disease than car accidents. Does that me people shouldn't buckle up? Malaria is way down on the list, so we can obviously scratch those preventions. You realize that is your thinking, right? Since more people die of something else, we don't have to take preventive steps that may save a life.

For those running the hypotheticals about "what if I kissed someone who just ate a Nutter Butter..." you are minimizing, not eliminating risk by not allowing peanuts on the plane. Just because a smaller risk remains is no reason not to get rid of a manageable larger risk. You might be hit by lightning. Avoiding standing under trees on golf courses during electrical storms decreases risk, but doesn't eliminate it. Certainly you have the common sense to not stand under that tree despite it not eliminating the risk completely.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:18 pm

I have a bad cat dander allergy (coughing, itchy, watery eyes and very runny nose). It is not bad enough to warrant an ER visit, but if anything it can be a very unpleasant experience for me and people around me who have to listen to my coughing and sniffling. I carry Benadryl and Zyrtec with me to try and minimize any symptoms and I also carry an Epi-pen if the symptoms ever get severe. I may not like sitting near a cat on a plane, but I also realize we both have to find a way to co-exist so I do everything possible to try to minimize my symptoms.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:02 pm

For those running the hypotheticals about "what if I kissed someone who just ate a Nutter Butter..." you are minimizing, not eliminating risk by not allowing peanuts on the plane. Just because a smaller risk remains is no reason not to get rid of a manageable larger risk. You might be hit by lightning. Avoiding standing under trees on golf courses during electrical storms decreases risk, but doesn't eliminate it. Certainly you have the common sense to not stand under that tree despite it not eliminating the risk completely.
I don't think most people are disagreeing with you on mitigating the risk without getting rid of it entirely. But there have been some good questions asked--where does the line of reasonable and fair go? Not eating peanuts on the plane? Sure, that's reasonable. Having the airline wipe down the entire cabin? Seems pretty unreasonable to the rest of the passengers on the flight. And since life isn't composed of extremes, where do we put that line?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
One thought on allergies- it probably is in one's own self interest to assume that it's as bad as claimed because a worst case anaphylactic shock situation is not only bad for that person but could also result in the flight being medically diverted and causing some annoyance one's self on that flight.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
There is a thread in OMNI/PR for handgun discussions and statistics...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
A number of years back on US, a woman in PSP threw an utter hissy fit with both the GA and FA regarding her son's peanut allergy. She was demanding that no one open anything peanut related in flight. Both the GA/FA told her they had no way of guaranteeing a pax would not do so. The woman continued her tantrem as she boarded. Eventually, the FA made an announcement...

Now.. in my opinion, I will be happy to not eat something if I know someone is going to have a reaction, BUTI do that of a choice to be respectful. It is this lady's obligation to insure that she takes every precaution. Maybe that means having her son wear a mask or perhaps drive if appropriate distance.

I am sure many would be more respectful if the favor was returned. It often seems as though these over zealous believe that the world must stop for them and their afflictions. I for one would not want to make my afflictions everyone else's business. I have lived with impaired vision since birth, but I have taken great strides not to let it show or have people feel sorry/accommodate me. Maybe it's just a generational thing...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Do these people with peanut allergies go to the grocery store, out to eat, sporting events, concerts, etc? Can they live in Georgia (peanut capitol)?

Why do they not wear a mask when they fly. Millions of people in Asia wear a mask. It seems to be the trend.

My DYKWIA is bring peanuts back on the plane, now! If not, I smuggle on a snickers bar, 2 cats, wear three day old socks and take my shoes off, and use a half of bottle of my favorite cologne - High Karate.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by kettle1
...and use a half of bottle of my favorite cologne - High Karate.
"Hai Karate -- be careful how you use it!"
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k
How does people dying from an allergy prove that it isn't real?
I think you need to look up what pyschogenic illness means. With regards to peanut allergies, the self-report rate is considerably higher than the rate found in various peanut allergy studies. That doesn't mean it's not real, or very dangerous to those who *do* have it, rather it simply means that a lot more people think they have it and will die immediately if exposed than actually have the allergy.

That said, the severity of peanut allergies vs typical food allergies does lead me to wonder why peanuts are still served on airplanes.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If peanut allergies are so bad, why does DL have a "hub" in ATL?

"Georgia is the number-one peanut-producing state in the country, accounting for approximately 49 percent of the crop's national acreage."

Simple. If you are allergic to peanuts PUT ON A MASK.

I DEMAND TO HAVE PEANUTS ON MY DL FC FLT. My wife and mistress ban peanuts in their homes, because the dogs are getting too fat from eating dropped peanuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.