Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by drpsych
You cannot be "pre-selected" by Delta without a Known Traveler Number in the profile, as reported to me by Delta "higher ups". No favorites in the government approved program.
I was preselected and I have no known traveler number in my profile. I've gone through the preselected line every single time I've traveled since it came to MSP (which is every week excluding this week since this is the first week I haven't traveled this year). I also wasn't enrolled in any of the other government programs until I applied for GE late last week. I have my interview at JFK Sunday while on my way to CPT.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yohanson
I was preselected and I have no known traveler number in my profile. I've gone through the preselected line every single time I've traveled since it came to MSP (which is every week excluding this week since this is the first week I haven't traveled this year). I also wasn't enrolled in any of the other government programs until I applied for GE late last week. I have my interview at JFK Sunday while on my way to CPT.
There is no doubt that "elite" travelers qualify without having a known traveler number in their profile (or at all).

But Delta/TSA officials haven't ever made known what the cutoff is for free inclusion as an elite (either GM or PM, I believe) or how often they add pax as they qualify.

I was FO when the program rolled out in ATL and was not included. I am now GM, but was never selected in ATL until I was approved for GE and added the number to my profile. This leads me to believe that the cutoff is PM, but here is what I still don't know:
  • Is the cutoff officially PM? (I have heard rumors of some GMs being included)
  • Would I have immediately been eligible when I reach PM in a few months?
  • Is it market-specific (are pax added in markets as precheck is added?)
  • If I was PM/DM last year and I dropped down to FO this year, would I still qualify?
I gave up with the guessing game and just paid for GE, but it would be really nice of Delta to clarify the program better. That is probably the TSA's role, but as a government agency it would likely take a miracle for them to communicate this information clearly to everyone anytime in the near future.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by dcline414
There is no doubt that "elite" travelers qualify without having a known traveler number in their profile (or at all).

But Delta/TSA officials haven't ever made known what the cutoff is for free inclusion as an elite (either GM or PM, I believe) or how often they add pax as they qualify.

I was FO when the program rolled out in ATL and was not included. I am now GM, but was never selected in ATL until I was approved for GE and added the number to my profile. This leads me to believe that the cutoff is PM, but here is what I still don't know:
  • Is the cutoff officially PM? (I have heard rumors of some GMs being included)
  • Would I have immediately been eligible when I reach PM in a few months?
  • Is it market-specific (are pax added in markets as precheck is added?)
  • If I was PM/DM last year and I dropped down to FO this year, would I still qualify?
I gave up with the guessing game and just paid for GE, but it would be really nice of Delta to clarify the program better. That is probably the TSA's role, but as a government agency it would likely take a miracle for them to communicate this information clearly to everyone anytime in the near future.
GM+ can qualify. Ask the TSA agent at the pre-check gate for a flyer. They were handing them out to SkyPriority flyers at MSP the last couple times I went through.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nogophers
GM+ can qualify. Ask the TSA agent at the pre-check gate for a flyer. They were handing them out to SkyPriority flyers at MSP the last couple times I went through.
Hah... I asked in ATL and they said "it's random, you weren't selected today, go to the right lane, keep moving."
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Miniflyer
Never received an email from anyone, didn't sign up through the DL website and am not a member of Global Entry (yet). It just magically happened one day (and continues to). So cool that I can actually go through security with real shoes. Not that it makes much difference when I'm traveling with others--still have to wait on the other side.
Happened to me at LAS this past Monday. The TSA agent said my wife and I were both eligible and to go through that line. There was no one in line there (regular security line was packed), and I went through with shoes on, laptop in my backpack and liquids in my carry on. Super fast and really nice. I didn't sign up for anything beforehand that I can recall.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drpsych
You cannot be "pre-selected" by Delta without a Known Traveler Number in the profile, as reported to me by Delta "higher ups". No favorites in the government approved program.
Your first two posts are misinformation...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Rewards Plat
Same here. 2 for 3 out of DTW.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
... So far I am 0 for 3 on being selected for the Pre-Check line.
I'm 1/3 out at DTW (Global Entry, DM basis).

One time the green light came on but the TSA checker said "use the normal line"

Last edited by djm3; Mar 7, 2012 at 11:51 am Reason: more info
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:47 pm

Question, I got approved and received my Global Entry card on 2/22. I have a flight tomorrow and I'm Silver flying out of ATL. Is there anything that prints on the boarding pass at all on whether you made the cut or not? The reason I ask is I believe that the South T gate that the line is in is for Gold/Platinum/Diamond so if I go down there and I haven't made the cut then I need to go all the way back to the regular line rather than just popping over to the elite line.

Thanks

Josh
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JoshFink
Question, I got approved and received my Global Entry card on 2/22. I have a flight tomorrow and I'm Silver flying out of ATL. Is there anything that prints on the boarding pass at all on whether you made the cut or not? The reason I ask is I believe that the South T gate that the line is in is for Gold/Platinum/Diamond so if I go down there and I haven't made the cut then I need to go all the way back to the regular line rather than just popping over to the elite line.
#1 -- Make sure your GE info is included in your profile. If it isn't, chances are slim you will get through PreCheck anyway. Actually, you can't even check on that now since it it locked at T-72 hrs. It is either already in there or it isn't.

#2 -- Technically you have to be 'invited' by DL to enter through PreCheck so it is possible you are not coded properly anyway.

#3 -- The TSO operating the scanner may let you go through the SP line if you scan red.

TSA uses the barcode on the BP to determine if you get through or not. Very important: Just because you have GE does not automatically allow you to use PreCheck.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
#1 -- Make sure your GE info is included in your profile. If it isn't, chances are slim you will get through PreCheck anyway. Actually, you can't even check on that now since it it locked at T-72 hrs. It is either already in there or it isn't.

#2 -- Technically you have to be 'invited' by DL to enter through PreCheck so it is possible you are not coded properly anyway.

#3 -- The TSO operating the scanner may let you go through the SP line if you scan red.

TSA uses the barcode on the BP to determine if you get through or not. Very important: Just because you have GE does not automatically allow you to use PreCheck.
1. If he hasn't submitted his PASS-ID with his Secure Flight info, then he won't be able to use PreCheck.

2. You do not have to be invited by Delta. Providing a TT PASS-ID is sufficient to be eligible for PreCheck.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JoshFink

I'm assuming you associated your Global Entry number with your SkyMiles profile and the answer to your question is that the Pre-Check is embedded in the scannable code on the BP AFAIK.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
+1
and the PreCheck gate is a far walk from the car rental. For me it's worth it.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:52 am

Thanks for the responses.. My GE is in my profile but I think I actually booked this flight before I got my info in there. I called Delta and they said it was associated but who knows with them?

I guess I'll find out today what's going on. One plus is that I think with my Delta Reserve card I can go through the medallion line anyways so it might not be a big deal. Plus it's a Sunday afternoon, shouldn't be too busy.

Josh
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Maybe I'm missing something. In ATL I just walk right to the precheck line at the south secutity and scan my boarding pass. No issues there, no need to be "invited".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.