Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IrisT
I just completed my GOES interview in DTW yesterday, and I was told that I can use the PreCheck line. She told me to enter my number on my profile, and my BP will reflect that I am approved.
There is nothing on your BP that will show you are approved. The approval is handled internally as you are not supposed to know ahead of time. I'm 5/5 on eligible itineraries (I didn't get it on an itin involving an international flight which apparently currently disqualifies one for Pre-Check).
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I wish my upgrade percentages were as successful as being chosen to go through the TSA line at detroit, at 100% so far. Just wish they had a different queue to go through than the sky priority waiting line. They need a separate entrance for people that area chosen to use that lane instead of waiting in the line.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by LBJ
There is nothing on your BP that will show you are approved. The approval is handled internally as you are not supposed to know ahead of time. I'm 5/5 on eligible itineraries (I didn't get it on an itin involving an international flight which apparently currently disqualifies one for Pre-Check).
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
wish my upgrade percentages were as successful as being chosen to go through the TSA line at detroit, at 100% so far. Just wish they had a different queue to go through than the sky priority waiting line. They need a separate entrance for people that area chosen to use that lane instead of waiting in the line.
Well, I am confused since I was told that being able to go through the PreCheck lane is one of the GOES perks. How do you know if you are selected then? Does something come on the screen when you print your boarding pass?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IrisT
Well, I am confused since I was told that being able to go through the PreCheck lane is one of the GOES perks. How do you know if you are selected then? Does something come on the screen when you print your boarding pass?
Yes, the TSA has scanners at the SkyPriority lane. It will tell them whether or not you are approved when they scan your boarding pass.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
But as far as Pre-check scanning, it is totally random on the day of travel. The fact that there is no way to verify that the data was sent is one of my biggest gripes about program.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Thanks, LBJ! Now I understand ~
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by 14940674
That TDC doesn't seem to understand TSA policy. You should never allowed into the PreCheck line based on showing a TT card. You are supposed to submit your eligibility information to the airline. Then, if randomly selected, your status will be encoded into the BP. That is the only way it should work, officially.
I will assume you are simply not current with TSA practices. As per the TSA, officially,
Certain frequent flyers from Delta Air Lines, American Airlines and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate.
As the program evolves, the eligibility requirements are updated.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
As the program evolves, the eligibility requirements are updated.
You clearly misunderstand the definition of eligibility in PreCheck. Being eligible simply means you have a chance of using the PreCheck line, rather than being a guarantee. Showing the card should never get you into the line. To gain entry, you must share your TT status with the airline, which will encode it into your BP.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
It is a totally random selection process on the day of travel (with no way of knowing if you are selected until you get to security).

I am 2/5 since paying my $100 to join the club.
It's interesting you say that.... At the end of last year I got to Plat and all of a sudden every flight through ATL my boarding pass did the 3 beeps. I don't have the $100 global entry because I don't want my finger prints on record just to get entry into my own country...

Anyways, beginning of this year, my boarding pass hasn't done it once, until today. Guess what I did today before I got to the airport... I called the Plat line to ask why it hadn't been working. They told me the same thing about it being random.

Of course I was already in the normal security area because I thought it wouldn't beep. dammit. They really need to make this more "detectable" to the business traveler that has access to it. The random crap is annoying and counter productive.

rant over.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by atlantauser
The TSA is annoying and counter productive.
Fixed that for you
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
The above is correct. I am not enrolled in Nexus, Privum, or Global Entry. When the TSA Pre-Check program was announced a few months ago I was invited to "opt in," which, as I recall, consisted of checking a box or replying to the Delta email and making sure I had the necessary info in my profile. The letter said that participants in the trial program could qualify either by being PM or DM or by being enrolled in a program such as Global Entry.

Since I heard nothing further (there may have been a vague message about the start of the program at MSP) I wasn't certain I was really in the program, but when I flew out of MSP a few days ago I was selected for Pre-Check that day. Since selection on any given day is apparently random, now we can obsess before each trip about both upgrades and Pre-Check!

Correct. just update your profile. No special number needed, no fees to pay, no interview. I am 4 for 4 out of MSP as a GM.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
I noticed at MSP C-G connector checkpoint a few days back, that the ID checker was scanning BP's, checking for the green light, then putting tick marks on a sheet. Glancing at the sheet ( as my BP beeped and the light turned green ) it was a tally of how many pre-selects were "processed" broken into 1 hour time slots. I, and everyone else, were processed "normally" through the nude-a-scope.

edit: On further thought, perhaps they are just gathering data to assess adding pre-check to the connector TSA checkpoint. That would be nice.

Last edited by Frozentech; Mar 7, 2012 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Count me in the group that does not have GE, Nexus, or a trusted trav number. I am a DM and 2/2 (ATL+LAS) for being selected.

My only variable is thati do have CLEAR.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Had pre-check for the first time leaving LAS on Monday. I'm DM with GE (and Clear), one non-status psgr with GE, and a GM with a very recent GE (GE # in profile but not in reservation) and all 3 used pre-check. Very nice.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm a PM without Nexus or GE and fortunately I am 100% which is nice since al lmy flights originate out of DTW.

The program is set up a lot better at LAS than DTW though. At DTW, you still have to wait in the security queue, at LAS they just scan your BP and you walk right up to the line. Takes less than 1 minute to get through security at LAS now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.