Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jwbbx
DrPsych, this is not correct. I am specifically NOT part of GE and have been through Pre-Check many times in DTW since it started last year.

From the Delta Web Site:
Our most frequent fliers and members of Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs who are U.S. citizens may be eligible to participate in this pilot program. Eligible members must opt-in to be considered for Pre√. Members may opt in by updating and saving their Secure Flight Passenger Data, or by adding their Trusted Traveler / Membership Number / PassID (for Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS members) in the Known Traveler field in the Secure Flight section of their profile on delta.com.

You must complete the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" and agree to share it with TSA.

BTW - I have learned over the years that 'Higher-Ups' are the very worst source of information on operational issues.
+1. This is my experience as well.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
TSA Pre in TPA (Airside E only)

July 10th is the date in Tampa, but for the DL/AC 'E' airside only.

This airside already has a few lanes off to the side that are not being used, they are converting those.

The other airsides require construction, but are still scheduled for this year.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I went through the TSA approved secure traveler for Delta yesterday and loved it.
Questions:
1. Is it airline specific?
2. is it "valid" for my future flights by the same airline?
3. Is it still valid if current medallion status changes?
4. Is it only within US as I do expect a foreign travel?
Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:14 pm
mpp

1. Is it airline specific?
4. Is it only within US as I do expect a foreign travel?
1. It is both airline and airport specific. See the list.

2. I don't "understand" the question.

3. I think it will be, because I don't think "status" will matter in the future. For example, I have no status on Alaska airlines but get to use Pre-Check when flying on Alaska (probably because I have Global Entry, I suppose...but not sure how Alaska Airlines knows this since I've never told them). Maybe because my Alaska fights are linked to my Skymiles account.

4. Yes. It is only valid at the airports and airlines on the list.

The only downside is the nasty looks you get from all the people waiting in line or if there is no Skyclub on the other side. I used it on a busy Sunday evening in Las Vegas and it was awesome to get through security in one minute...downside was there is nothing to do on the other side of security. Maybe I should have waited in the 45+ minute security line.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If you are departing on an international flight you are not eligible for PreCheck, even if your US departure airport is on the list in mpp's link.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Gynob001
Originally Posted by mpp
3. I think it will be, because I don't think "status" will matter in the future. For example, I have no status on Alaska airlines but get to use Pre-Check when flying on Alaska (probably because I have Global Entry, I suppose...but not sure how Alaska Airlines knows this since I've never told them). Maybe because my Alaska fights are linked to my Skymiles account.
Can ANYONE answer this question in reverse?

Is there anyone who does not have GE/Nexus that has attained first-time GM status and been randomly selected? My guess is that there were either a few one-off transfers of passenger data to the TSA as the program was rolled out and expanded, or perhaps there are periodic updates to the list of medallions included.

My experience was that I was FO when the program rolled out in ATL, but immediately after reached GM status. Yet I was never randomly selected until after I applied for GE and added my info to my DL profile. That was 15+ trips through ATL security after reaching GM status without being selected, FWIW.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
If you are departing on an international flight you are not eligible for PreCheck, even if your US departure airport is on the list in mpp's link.
This is no longer true. PreCheck encoding appears to be less likely on international itineraries, but is not impossible.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by 14940674
This is no longer true. PreCheck encoding appears to be less likely on international itineraries, but is not impossible.
Source? Very curious on what is the criteria to get Pre for Int'l. I have GE and do not get it.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
So far I am 100% on being selected but all my travel has been domestic since it's been introduced. I am flying DTW/LHR in July and when I flew a couple weeks ago I asked the TSA agent if you were eligible for precheck if you were flying internationally. She told me that you can't use precheck if you are flying internationally, including if you are you are connecting in another domestic airport. Not sure of the reasoning.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Source? Very curious on what is the criteria to get Pre for Int'l. I have GE and do not get it.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
So far I am 100% on being selected but all my travel has been domestic since it's been introduced. I am flying DTW/LHR in July and when I flew a couple weeks ago I asked the TSA agent if you were eligible for precheck if you were flying internationally. She told me that you can't use precheck if you are flying internationally, including if you are you are connecting in another domestic airport. Not sure of the reasoning.
When I flew internationally out of MSP about a month ago the TSA agent told me I could not do PreCheck because I was on an international flight.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gynob001
Yes, and no. If you qualify for PreCheck, you may be entitled to use it for future flts with the same airline but as noted here many times, not everyone qualifies on every flt. TSA has made it very clear that there is a random element to selection. Bottom line, some get PreCheck every time, some most of the time, some only some of the time, and some who are close to none of the time. TSA claims selection/non-selection is random and AFAIK, that seems to be the case.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
More than a few posters on the AA forum have reported PreCheck success on international itineraries. It would be a shame if the same did not apply when flying DL.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
She told me that you can't use precheck if you are flying internationally, including if you are you are connecting in another domestic airport. Not sure of the reasoning.
I've used Pre-Check on the 1st leg (domestic) of an international itinerary (2nd leg) on Delta. I had my GE card out as ID and must confess that I didn't pay attention to the beeps when my BP was scanned, but was glad to be allowed to use PC.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Originally Posted by mpp
1. It is both airline and airport specific. See the list.

2. I don't "understand" the question.

4. Yes. It is only valid at the airports and airlines on the list.

The only downside is the nasty looks you get from all the people waiting in line or if there is no Skyclub on the other side. I used it on a busy Sunday evening in Las Vegas and it was awesome to get through security in one minute...downside was there is nothing to do on the other side of security. Maybe I should have waited in the 45+ minute security line.
Thanks-What I meant was whether I am TSA approved for any future flights by the airline that I flew this time. Apparently not so.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Can someone point me to where you store your passport number with Delta.com? I searched in profile, but only see boxes for Redress and Trusted Traveler, but nothing for passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.