Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
75 years and older gets you the precheck line as well, with or without it indicated on the BP
This is not so in MSP. Age 75 and older allows passengers to keep shoes on but they cannot use PreCheck line unless it's on the BP.

There seems to be some variation in PreCheck regulations at different airports.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.1; SAMSUNG SCH-R970 USCC Build/LRX22C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) SamsungBrowser/2.1 Chrome/34.0.1847.76 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Originally Posted by Widgets
75 years and older gets you the precheck line as well, with or without it indicated on the BP
This is not so in MSP. Age 75 and older allows passengers to keep shoes on but they cannot use PreCheck line unless it's on the BP.

There seems to be some variation in PreCheck regulations at different airports.
This is how it is in DSM, get expedited thru regular line, not necessarily pre-check.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Why no precheck

I am new to Delta. When I flew today, I did not get precheck. This is very odd because, since the inception of the program, I have gotten precheck on every one of dozens if flights on UA, AA and Virgin. The last time I flew Delta was about two years and I think, although I'm not sure, that I had precheck on that flight (but it was irrelevant because it was a small airport where the precheck line was closed).

The check in agent checked everything out and said my KTN was in the record. I have checked that my name, DOB, etc. is all correct. I did not notice that, in the ticketing fields on the website, my KTN was also filled in as the "redress" number. I don't have a redress number and I can't see a field for one in my profile. I just made another booking, and manually removed the redress number, but still the new boarding pass did not show precheck.

Any ideas as to what to do for future flights?

P.S. I am a Global Entry member

Last edited by sfolawyer; May 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm Reason: add info re Global Entry
Old May 8, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I am new to Delta. When I flew today, I did not get precheck. This is very odd because, since the inception of the program, I have gotten precheck on every one of dozens if flights on UA, AA and Virgin. The last time I flew Delta was about two years and I think, although I'm not sure, that I had precheck on that flight (but it was irrelevant because it was a small airport where the precheck line was closed).

The check in agent checked everything out and said my KTN was in the record. I have checked that my name, DOB, etc. is all correct. I did not notice that, in the ticketing fields on the website, my KTN was also filled in as the "redress" number. I don't have a redress number and I can't see a field for one in my profile. I just made another booking, and manually removed the redress number, but still the new boarding pass did not show precheck.

Any ideas as to what to do for future flights?

P.S. I am a Global Entry member
KTN in the "redress" field is bad - definitely won't work.

On DL, there's two places where you want to verify that your KTN is on file correctly. First, in your "profile" on DL.com, verify that your GE KTN is in the KTN field on the "International Travel Info" section. You will also want to verify that your birth date is accurately recorded in the profile.

Second, in each reservation, there is a "Secure Flight Passenger Data & Contact Information" section. Open that section, and verify that your NAME is displayed exactly as displayed on your GE card, and that the KTN field has your GE number and the redress field is blank.

To verify all is OK, you could create a "test" booking - for a month or two from now - and once you've created that test booking, view the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" fields. The redress field should be blank.

Finally, a question. Are you booking your ticket on DL.com? Or another site / agent? If another site / agency, you should know that Secure Flight Passenger Data is provided to DL by that agency, and it does not matter what your DL.com profile has - it only matters what that other site / agency has for your Secure Flight data. Not very common these days, but when Secure Flight process first started, it was very common for KTNs to end up in the redress field when reservations moved from one system to another.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Checking the birthdate (again) did the trick. I put my birth year as thirty years after I was born but it was hard to catch because it involved a 9 in place of a 6. Doh!
Old May 24, 2016, 8:51 am

The majority of my airline travel consists of a single itinerary that I repeat at roughly the same time each year. I'm trying to decide if it's worth doing TSA Pre in advance of this year's trip.

Delta flight from my local airport to Atlanta. Then Virgin Atlantic operated VS110 ATL-MAN flight. Return trip is VS109 MAN-ATL, connecting to a Delta flight back home. Everything booked on one ticket through Delta.

As I see it, the TSA Pre will only come into play twice during that trip. Once is the security screening at my local airport. That's not usually a big deal as it's a small airport and the plain old non-Pre TSA line usually takes 10 minutes or so.

The other time is when I get off the return TATL flight and have to submit to screening before walking to the game for my domestic connection. I'm usually tired and grumpy at that point in the trip and man, do I hate that particular line.

So am I thinking about this correctly? It seems that not having to unpack all my electronic gadgets and take off my shoes during that hectic Atlantic re-screen might just be worth paying for TSA Pre. Is it pretty much 100% of the time that there's a Pre line for that international-to-domestic connection screening?

And I can't imagine that having TSA Pre will make any difference at all when going through the UK screening in Manchester, right?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BrentHutto

The other time is when I get off the return TATL flight and have to submit to screening before walking to the game for my domestic connection. I'm usually tired and grumpy at that point in the trip and man, do I hate that particular line.
It has been a couple of years since I flew TATL into ATL but at that time they did not have pre-check for international arrivals. Has that changed?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Like Dovster, I'm not sure if there is a TSA PC line between customs and going to a gate in ATL, but two points:

Point 1: Instead of PC, get Global Entry. For fifteen dollars more, you get five years of expedited return to the US. Those regular lines can be long.

Point 2: If you do not choose to get GA, make sure you download the customs mobile app: http://www.mobilepassport.us/. Friends recently traveled abroad and could not thank me enough for telling them about this. The app allows you to skip the long customs line. Since so few people are using the app, and there is a dedicated line, it's practically just walking out of the airport without stopping.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 24, 2016 at 10:35 am
Old May 24, 2016, 10:03 am

I do think Global Entry would be preferable but the nearest place to do my interview is about 100 miles away. So it would basically mean missing a day of work (or most of it) to drive there and do the enrollment interview.

By contrast there's a TSA Pre location with 10 minutes drive of my office. So it's a pretty strong incentive to just do Pre.

Thanks for the tip about the app. I had never heard of that before...maybe that's why it's not heavily used. Not many people know about it!
Old May 24, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I do think Global Entry would be preferable but the nearest place to do my interview is about 100 miles away. So it would basically mean missing a day of work (or most of it) to drive there and do the enrollment interview.

By contrast there's a TSA Pre location with 10 minutes drive of my office. So it's a pretty strong incentive to just do Pre.

Thanks for the tip about the app. I had never heard of that before...maybe that's why it's not heavily used. Not many people know about it!
You might consider getting a GA interview during your layover in ATL? It's pretty quick and easy, and getting back into the secure area in ATL is pretty quick on the International Terminal side. It won't help you on this trip, but it will for the next five years.

A concern: Kasim Reed mentioned yesterday that they may start busing people from the long domestic lines to the shorter international security lines.

While waiting for my interview, a guy stopped in who had obviously just gotten off a long international flight, said he had an interview scheduled for the afternoon but asked if they would see him now. They were able to take care of him without problem. My meeting only took about five minutes, so they appear flexible and on schedule.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
DSM Pre-Check configuration change

And not for the better

Changed 6/22/16: Now the Pre-Check lane is located to the far left, at the only security station, which is up the escalators.

It remains a dedicated lane, with signage beginning already on floor below, funneling Pre-Check passengers to left escalator, which funnels to the now U-shaped Pre-Check lane. Pre-Check is now in the enclosed glass room.

ID check is either at beginning of U or in the middle of U (meaning, if you change your mind for whatever reason, you'll have to back upstream through the standing passengers to get out of Pre-Check area.) Where the checker is will depend upon staffing and business.

Remains full Pre-Check, liquids and laptops can stay in the bags. Remains open at all times TSA is open.

HOWEVER, there is only the one Pre-Check body scanner. So, because of configuration - if get dinged for random scan, hardware, or any other reason, options will be 1) pat down, or 2) swimming back upstream through all the waiting passengers to go back to security area to go thru other machine. Apparently the pat-down "type" will be randomly assigned (hands, hips, bags) via some protocol.

TSA officer I spoke to explained this was an airport decision and TSA isn't thrilled as they know this will be problematic. He said hopefully TSA will get them the second (hands-above-head) type of scanner ... eventually.

If sometime reminds me of the name/designations for the two scanners I will edit this post. Of note, also posted in UA forum.

Thx
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
On my redeye from SFO Monday night they were doing Pre-Check light. At least they had a separate ID checker for the precheck passengers, unlike MIA and EWR so that helped a little. Was still a pain waiting behind all the non-prechecks in front to take their shoes off, etc. I wish if they were going to do precheck lite they would allow those passengers to move to the front of the belt since we can through right away.

Something weird a TSA officer was doing was blocking off the magnometer. He put something like a piece of wood in front of the magnometer and was only moving it when he saw the precheck card. I don't know why he just didn't direct passengers over to the nude-o-scope and just allow precheck cards to go through the magnometer.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:12 am

FWIW, last night I received my Known Traveler Number less than 48 hours after completing my TSA Pre in-person visit for fingerprinting and interview. I've seen media reports of a surge in applications lately but it does not seem to be causing any delays in processing.

My next trip is about eight weeks out and today I was able to used Delta.com to add KTN to my Profile and to "My Trips" for that August departure. I've read somewhere on FT that we need to call Delta to get the KTN added. Am I recalling that incorrectly or is Delta.com fooling me into thinking my KTN is in place and will be on my boarding pass?

I just now went and re-checked and it still seems to be there in my profile and in the international contact section of my upcoming ticket.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
FWIW, last night I received my Known Traveler Number less than 48 hours after completing my TSA Pre in-person visit for fingerprinting and interview. I've seen media reports of a surge in applications lately but it does not seem to be causing any delays in processing.

My next trip is about eight weeks out and today I was able to used Delta.com to add KTN to my Profile and to "My Trips" for that August departure. I've read somewhere on FT that we need to call Delta to get the KTN added. Am I recalling that incorrectly or is Delta.com fooling me into thinking my KTN is in place and will be on my boarding pass?

I just now went and re-checked and it still seems to be there in my profile and in the international contact section of my upcoming ticket.
In your upcoming reservation, check the "SECURE FLIGHT PASSENGER DATA & CONTACT INFORMATION" section. If the KTN is in there, you area all set.

At about 72 hours prior to departure, this section is locked to us and only DL can change it. That's why you'll often read references here to "call DL to add your KTN" because the poster is typically within that 72 hour window where the customer cannot modify the Secure Flight Passenger Data section of the reservation.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:51 pm

Ah, that was it. I figured I wasn't remembering the whole context. Thanks.

Mine is still there right now so I'll check it again right before my 72-hour window starts, just to be sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.