Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
It is a work trip booked through Amex Travel. I bet I need to add it to my Work profile.

I thought it was linked to the Delta and Alaska number, but it looks like as long as it is added when the reservation is made, you wouldn't even need to list any frequent flyer number.

Thanks.
It is processed from the reservation/PNR. If linked to your FF#, it should pull in at time of booking, but sometimes not.

If you can find your reservation directly on DL.com, there should be a place by your name to enter your KTN under Secure Passenger Data.

However, this must be done 72 hrs in advance, which it doesn't sound like you have if you're already getting a BP.

A ticket agent at the airport can also add it, though, and print you a new BP.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
It is processed from the reservation/PNR. If linked to your FF#, it should pull in at time of booking, but sometimes not.

If you can find your reservation directly on DL.com, there should be a place by your name to enter your KTN under Secure Passenger Data.

However, this must be done 72 hrs in advance, which it doesn't sound like you have if you're already getting a BP.

Good info. Thanks. We will see if the line for the agent is longer than the security line tomorrow morning.

My FFN was in the reservation and I made sure I added the trusted traveler number the day before I told the travel department to book.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gooselee

If the OP calls DL res, they can un check him in and then add the KTN. I had an issue on my DL ticket to YYC last week. KTN and middle name was missing, so no PreCheck on the OLCI BP. Called to cancel check-in and had new BPs with PreCheck five minutes later.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:26 pm

Location: New Jersey most of the time, also Germany, California and Florida for family and other places for business.
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold. Global Entry since 2014
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If the OP calls DL res, they can un check him in and then add the KTN. I had an issue on my DL ticket to YYC last week. KTN and middle name was missing, so no PreCheck on the OLCI BP. Called to cancel check-in and had new BPs with PreCheck five minutes later.
Not sure if anyone will know but wanted to check ... my wife is an LPR (German citizen with a US Green Card). She was approved for GE this past Saturday, and provided with her KTN ... I submitted the number online to her DL FF profile, and then confirmed with a DL phone rep that they 'saw' it.

We are traveling the end of August (so we're well outside of the 72 hour rule). Under the scenario above, what are the odds that she'll see PreCheck on the Boarding Pass when she checks in?

Thanks

Michael
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Good info. Thanks. We will see if the line for the agent is longer than the security line tomorrow morning.

My FFN was in the reservation and I made sure I added the trusted traveler number the day before I told the travel department to book.
Line looked short, so I didn't bother. Save the world TSA agent running the Xray machine. Took forever. Went into the SkyClub and got the number added there. Agent reprinted my current boarding pass to show it would show up.

Figured I'd have it on my return a week later.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by MikeNJ1109
Not sure if anyone will know but wanted to check ... my wife is an LPR (German citizen with a US Green Card). She was approved for GE this past Saturday, and provided with her KTN ... I submitted the number online to her DL FF profile, and then confirmed with a DL phone rep that they 'saw' it.

We are traveling the end of August (so we're well outside of the 72 hour rule). Under the scenario above, what are the odds that she'll see PreCheck on the Boarding Pass when she checks in?

Thanks

Michael
Pretty good chance. They've allowed LPRs to join Precheck for sometime now, and as long as her info is correct, she has a near 100% chance of getting Pre. There is always a small chance she won't get it, but a KTN helps out considerably.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Has anyone else been getting PreCheck all of a sudden? I am GM and NEVER got it before this summer...now I get it 100% of the time. I have not changed a thing in my profile nor given the government any money for GE or any of that extra taxation crap.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pgh234
Has anyone else been getting PreCheck all of a sudden? I am GM and NEVER got it before this summer...now I get it 100% of the time. I have not changed a thing in my profile nor given the government any money for GE or any of that extra taxation crap.
I have always been silver until two weeks ago. Then I finally moved to GM. Just prior to becoming GM I received PreCheck. I fly in two weeks and hope what you say happens to me.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Pre-Check Hours at RDU?

Does anyone have recent experience with PreCheck hours at RDU? Flying DL on Sunday morning and hoping for PreCheck access. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Question

BFF and I flew to ATL over the weekend. She has never flown DL, it's been a little over a year since my last DL flight. Tix booked under my profile with her as companion. Printed the return boarding passes at the airport, hers says TSA Precheck.

Huh? What happened? We're both on the same ressie, why didn't mine do the same?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by butta1898
BFF and I flew to ATL over the weekend. She has never flown DL, it's been a little over a year since my last DL flight. Tix booked under my profile with her as companion. Printed the return boarding passes at the airport, hers says TSA Precheck.

Huh? What happened? We're both on the same ressie, why didn't mine do the same?
Because the TSA trusts her more, obviously. It's not like they have valid reasons for what they do.

You could ask to be unchecked-in and checked-in again, that sometimes changes things.

(I presume you don't have PRE, GE, NEXUS, etc. If you do, then the procedure above is very likely to change things.)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
Does anyone have recent experience with PreCheck hours at RDU? Flying DL on Sunday morning and hoping for PreCheck access. Thanks!
In case anyone runs into the same question: PreCheck at RDU was open at ~5am on Sunday morning (although it was funneled to a lane that combined Pre and non-Pre passengers, and appeared to "randomly alternate" metal detector, body scanner, and pat down massage screening).
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In case anyone runs into the same question: PreCheck at RDU was open at ~5am on Sunday morning (although it was funneled to a lane that combined Pre and non-Pre passengers, and appeared to "randomly alternate" metal detector, body scanner, and pat down massage screening).
So it was a shorter line but everyone got the same randomized screening? Not even "PreCheck lite" that allows you to keep light jackets and shoes on?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So it was a shorter line but everyone got the same randomized screening? Not even "PreCheck lite" that allows you to keep light jackets and shoes on?
I wish! It was both better and worse - the bag scanner was fully PreCheck. But for personal screening, they treated it like a PreCheck line (shoes, jackets stay on), but "randomly" moved about 1/5 of the people to the body scanner after their bags had already been put through and they were at the front of the line for the metal detector (at the very last second, as if unveiling a prize, they'd move people to the body scanner as they tried to approach the metal detector), forcing them to take shoes/jackets/etc. off at a bad point in time. I can't imagine that waiting this long to tell people they were going to be screened differently does anything material for security, other than slow the whole process down of course.

In fairness, it did appear something somewhat unusual or increased was going on - lots of dogs and security patrolling the security lines and checkpoint areas.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I wish! It was both better and worse - the bag scanner was fully PreCheck. But for personal screening, they treated it like a PreCheck line (shoes, jackets stay on), but "randomly" moved about 1/5 of the people to the body scanner after their bags had already been put through and they were at the front of the line for the metal detector (at the very last second, as if unveiling a prize, they'd move people to the body scanner as they tried to approach the metal detector), forcing them to take shoes/jackets/etc. off at a bad point in time. I can't imagine that waiting this long to tell people they were going to be screened differently does anything material for security, other than slow the whole process down of course.

In fairness, it did appear something somewhat unusual or increased was going on - lots of dogs and security patrolling the security lines and checkpoint areas.
Perhaps they've amped up the security in the days around 9/11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.