Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Prefered seats out of control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Delta Prefered seats out of control

So as a former airline employee I understand that preferred seats are neccessary to accommodate status members but are also there to accommodate inconvenienced passengers. We are going on a family vacation, the first flights our kids will be on, and experienced the sometimes horror stories called schedule change! I didn't receive notification so could not call right away to make sure seats where together, now that we approaching departure I again check our itinerary to make sure it is good to go, we are now flying back two hours later with no seats asigned.

So I first check delta.com to see what is left... The scattered middle seats throughout the plane! I call the service line, go through the horrid voice recognition system and finally get a rep, only to be told sorry we can't assign you together because our youngest is old enough to fly unaccompanied (5) and we need to call back to purchase the preferred seats twenty four hours prior to departure, it is our return flight so I would be calling from Disneyworld! Even after explaining my fiancé has anxiety attacks while flying and our fifteen year old has chlostrophobia they where unwilling to help, neither was a supervisor!

So even though I did everything so called right, booked well in advanced, gave contact information for this specific reason (schedule changes, delays and cacellations) I am still going to have to potentially spend twenty nine dollars a seat or risk getting bumped from an overbooked protection flight! Way to make the difference Delta Airlines, you will never earn JD Power with service like that.

Last edited by Indp246; Apr 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:40 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Indp246. Since this thread is specific to one airline, we'll move to the Delta forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I think in this case, since DL rebooked you on a diff flight, they should portray being the kind and benevolent airline and give you 4 seats together in Y
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
No please move it back...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Indp246
I am still going to have to potentially spend twenty nine dollars a seat or risk getting bumped from an overbooked protection flight!
Just check in as close to 24 hours before your flight as you can. As upgrades clear, surely there should be something available so that you don't have to pay for a seat. If not, just show up at the airport early. Even without an actual seat assignment, they'll certainly solicit volunteers if the flight is overbooked, before they bump you off against your will.

NOT to seem like a jerk. . . . But, if claiming anxiety attacks while flying and chlostrophobia were known to get airlines to give in in these matters, EVERYBODY would have anxiety attacks and chlostrophobia.

Your spelling set off my spell checker - - IT's claus·tro·pho·bi·a
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by davetravels

NOT to seem like a jerk. . . . But, if claiming anxiety attacks while flying and chlostrophobia were known to get airlines to givJve in in these matters, EVERYBODY would have anxiety attacks and chlostrophobia.

I was thinking of a nice way to put it. You hit the nail on the head.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
While I agree DL should have waived fees to find some seats together, I'll point out a few things:

• Try Twitter assist.
  • If your flight changed 2 hours, you're likely entitled to make a change free. Is there another flight that day with better seating?
  • If there are middle seats open and you don't take them, the flight isn't overbooked and you aren't entitled to compensation. But as a former airline employee, I'm sure you know that.
  • Keep checking for seats to open up, especially at the upgrade windows.
  • Check in promptly at T-24 and see what's open.
  • Get to the airport early, and see what the gate agent can do for you.
  • Remember, you don't all need to sit together. Assuming there are four of you (you, fiancee, 5yo, 15yo), you only need two pairs of seats which is much easier than four seats.
  • Even if you board the plane with nothing but middles, a polite plea to a neighbor along the lines of ("I know how horrible it is to ask you to switch to a middle, but this horrible airline sat me and my 5yo apart. Would one of you please be willing to switch with me?") will likely resolve the issue.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
I tweeted delta assist to get 3 seats together for 2 of my brothers and brother-in-law (none have status) as the flight map had nothing available, and they did. Give it a try and good luck
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the imput. Sorry for the spelling auto fill on iPad is not my best friend. I did look at other flight options, I went to Facebook instead of tweeting, same answers. Anxiety and chlostrophobia are considered medical conditions that have to be accommodated according to dot regulations, much like an emotional support animal. Documentation may be asked for if it is a disorder that isn't physical. Just because there are still seats open to assign does not mean the flight is not oversold, many people when booking do not assign seats most of them being .com bookings and travel agents. The flight that got changed was a nonstop MCO MSP flight that got changed to a cx flight to MEM the airline I worked for had policy to overbook by up to ten percent hoping people would change the automated rebooking, which also won't assign seats unless there are enough to seat the party together. I was just commenting on the bad service, I have tried the routes I know of to try to fix it, but I will keep trying. Again thanks for feedback I know the gm dm and pm members are the best to get feedback from.

Last edited by Indp246; Apr 9, 2012 at 1:50 am
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Still trying to remove my first impression of a Cathay Pacific flight from MCO to MEM...

Anyway, don't worry I find that the folks at MCO are good at helping families get proximate seating. Given the ratio of families and first time fliers to business/individual travelers on those routes it's seems as if it is SOP every flight.

I would adjust my expectations about getting all of them in the same row. As bennos said If you get two sets of two together in different rows things should be fine.

As a former airline employee you should feel pretty confident on ways to get this resolved.

Welcome to flyertalk, and don't worry if your mobile phone isn't working they have phones to call from in Disneyworld!!!

Enjoy the vacation

Maps

P.S. the folks on the board seem very gentle -- must be the holiday
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I had an unfriendly DL Preferred Seat Monetization (PSM) discussion with DL yesterday. I don't know what exactly caused the problem that I had, therefore I'm reluctant to get into a lot of the details, but DL is apparently going to work this PSM thing pretty aggressively. When did they start charging for these seats for non-status flyers? It isn't very customer friendly to charge to have families sit together when all other possibilities have been exhausted. In an extreme scenario, DL can effectively control strategic access to seats rendering it impossible for families to sit together without acquiescing to the extortion possible through the PSM initiative.

I know DL is entitiled to do what they can do to raise revenue, but I was mildly taken aback when this PSM initiative impacted me and all DL had to offer was "show me the money".

I'll be monitoring my seat assignments made for my family members (non-status) more closely. DL will apparently move the little ham sammies at their will.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Just check in as close to 24 hours before your flight as you can. As upgrades clear, surely there should be something available so that you don't have to pay for a seat. If not, just show up at the airport early. Even without an actual seat assignment, they'll certainly solicit volunteers if the flight is overbooked, before they bump you off against your will.

NOT to seem like a jerk. . . . But, if claiming anxiety attacks while flying and chlostrophobia were known to get airlines to give in in these matters, EVERYBODY would have anxiety attacks and chlostrophobia.

I believe that there may be an informal FT rule that suggests we should not criticize one another's spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Since you are flying out of MCO are you sure you didn't buy the new E fate, which does not allow you to pick seats in advance and only get seats assigned at the gate?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
It isn't very customer friendly to charge to have families sit together when all other possibilities have been exhausted. In an extreme scenario, DL can effectively control strategic access to seats rendering it impossible for families to sit together without acquiescing to the extortion possible through the PSM initiative.
I think we can all agree that, by not having a family sit together (especially if there are issues with flying, etc) there could easily be more discomfort to premium pax that there would be eating up preferred seating. All of this being said, the airline is a business and if you want seats together you'd best pay for them like the rest - unless the disability issue can be resolved at purchase.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Indp246
So as a former airline employee I understand that preferred seats are neccessary to accommodate status members but are also there to accommodate inconvenienced passengers. We are going on a family vacation, the first flights our kids will be on, and experienced the sometimes horror stories called schedule change! I didn't receive notification so could not call right away to make sure seats where together, now that we approaching departure I again check our itinerary to make sure it is good to go, we are now flying back two hours later with no seats asigned.

So I first check delta.com to see what is left... The scattered middle seats throughout the plane! I call the service line, go through the horrid voice recognition system and finally get a rep, only to be told sorry we can't assign you together because our youngest is old enough to fly unaccompanied (5) and we need to call back to purchase the preferred seats twenty four hours prior to departure, it is our return flight so I would be calling from Disneyworld! Even after explaining my fiancé has anxiety attacks while flying and our fifteen year old has chlostrophobia they where unwilling to help, neither was a supervisor!

So even though I did everything so called right, booked well in advanced, gave contact information for this specific reason (schedule changes, delays and cacellations) I am still going to have to potentially spend twenty nine dollars a seat or risk getting bumped from an overbooked protection flight! Way to make the difference Delta Airlines, you will never earn JD Power with service like that.
You would have had my sympathy if you hadn't started with "as a former airline employee" And you still didn't know to watch your flights? Sorry, but IMHO you have the "no excuse" rule here.

While Delta should have notified OP I think that "as a fromer airline employee" he might have known schedule chagnes occur? Not to mention the "risk getting bumped" hysteria which is not justified by the fact that you can't find seats you LIKE. (That's not "overbooked" LOL!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.