SWU Success

Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR (Gold for Life), AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinun
SWU Success

The Delta forum seems to have gotten more and more negative, so thought I would share some good news I had today

Booked today SFO-CDG, via LA unfortunately, but AF metal from LAX-CDG, $2000 round trip and got to use upgrade certs on both legs DEP 01/28 Return 02/04.

Thank you Delta.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by BritNYC
The Delta forum seems to have gotten more and more negative, so thought I would share some good news I had today

Booked today SFO-CDG, via LA unfortunately, but AF metal from LAX-CDG, $2000 round trip and got to use upgrade certs on both legs DEP 01/28 Return 02/04.

Thank you Delta.
Nice!

DL ticket or AF? Which fare bucket?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold

Thank you Delta.
Don't you mean, thanks Air France? Redeeming SWUs or SkyMiles has been relatively easy and at a reasonable price (for SWUs) on AF. The problem is trying to do so on DL metal, and at a reasonable price.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
It is now near impossible to use a SWU on AF. Since mid-2011, only W & S can upgrade from Premium Voyageur to Affaires. I have checked a total of 50 flights XXX-CDG, and only A bucket is available. Sucks!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Don't you mean, thanks Air France? Redeeming SWUs or SkyMiles has been relatively easy and at a reasonable price (for SWUs) on AF. The problem is trying to do so on DL metal, and at a reasonable price.
Great point. Thank you AF. DL M fares have only gone up, so no thanks to DL.

Originally Posted by drjazz
It is now near impossible to use a SWU on AF. Since mid-2011, only W & S can upgrade from Premium Voyageur to Affaires. I have checked a total of 50 flights XXX-CDG, and only A bucket is available. Sucks!
How are you searching? If you do matrix ITA and limit fare class I can almost guarantee it's there.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
A is the discount PV bucket, so if they're selling A, you can purchase W and S, too. Seems best bet is to look for a DL W fare, as they tend to be cheaper than AF W/S fares.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:57 am

It's a sad day when a "positive" FT posts consists of someone spending $2000 to use a SWU.

Thanks for making Plat+, you can now spend >$2000 for a TATL BE fare.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Just upgraded 2 DL Ws, BOS-ZYR-JFK - 1350 a piece, absolutely no issues.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by flying_q
Just upgraded 2 DL Ws, BOS-ZYR-JFK - 1350 a piece, absolutely no issues.
What city is ZYR?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
What city is ZYR?
Brussels Midi railway station. You can often buy AF tickets including a train from Brussels to Paris and then a flight from Paris to wherever, so ZYR is the "airport" code used for such bookings.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
No, the sad part is that we have to settle for AF business class as a "great" use of our SWUs. Oh Skyteam, you really are the ugly stepchild of the alliances.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold

Thank you Delta.
Looks like we may be on the same flights those days. I'm on AF 65 1/28. I've used SWU as well. I'm trying to change my flight to come back on 2/4 as well.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Obviously, you can purchase ANY bucket. But, it is impossible to grab a "reasonable" upgrade fare (1500 vs 3000)

Originally Posted by mtkeller
A is the discount PV bucket, so if they're selling A, you can purchase W and S, too. Seems best bet is to look for a DL W fare, as they tend to be cheaper than AF W/S fares.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by brit44
Looks like we may be on the same flights those days. I'm on AF 65 1/28. I've used SWU as well. I'm trying to change my flight to come back on 2/4 as well.
Stalker!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.