Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Flying PVG/ATL in mid-March. Choice is 747 via NRT or 777 via DTW. Any chance the 747 will be the new config? Right now 747 seat configuration looks like the old one.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
Flying PVG/ATL in mid-March. Choice is 747 via NRT or 777 via DTW. Any chance the 747 will be the new config? Right now 747 seat configuration looks like the old one.
smyrnaflyer,

It seems that the refurb 744's aren't starting up on the NRT - ATL run until April 12th. So, you'll most likely be on the current style 744. Probably still impossible to be entirely accurate until the first one enters service and flight patterns can be judged. N670US has been out of service for close to 18 weeks now.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
is it normal for the first refurb to take 5 months?

Seems a tad long to me.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:18 pm

The first plane in for mods usually take eons. In this case, the plane was supposed to be ready in December but then they apparently cleared the IFE for installation, so, this has only added to the delay.

I remember when UA's first reconfigured 747s and 777s were done, it also took a few months for the first plane to be done since the new seats and IFE meant that FAA had to re-certify a few things which made the delay worse.

In the end though, it shall all be worth it as we shall we will have a plane with nose to tail AVOD and the nicest seats in the fleet in all cabins.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DHalltheway

Seems a tad long to me.
who knows why? Not I. maybe a problem with the installation and the manufacturer had to redesign the seat?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
All 777s have been converted. By March maybe just one of fifteen 747s may have been converted. This seems like an easy choice to me.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Perhaps a DL lurker (or skymilesinsider) could let us know of a timeline for the first rollout...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DHalltheway

Seems a tad long to me.
I would say this is not too uncommon. I believe the first one takes far longer than others since it needs to be certified, everything installed and tested. I'm sure after the first one goes in the following ones will probably only take 6-10 weeks.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Makes me question if I made the right choice of picking a 747 route for BE in late June!

Sigh
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I looked at the map of the revised 744 and can't believe how poorly the space is utilized! VS can fit much more of their business class seats in a similar space.

It'll be good for the J passengers, with less people per square foot. However, that's less capacity!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
I looked at the map of the revised 744 and can't believe how poorly the space is utilized! VS can fit much more of their business class seats in a similar space.

It'll be good for the J passengers, with less people per square foot. However, that's less capacity!
I don't know how wide the upper deck is on the 747 but it would seem they'd be able to feature a 1 - 1 -1 config upstairs
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I don't know how wide the upper deck is on the 747 but it would seem they'd be able to feature a 1 - 1 -1 config upstairs
The usable width of the upper deck is no wider than a 737/757, although the slope of the sidewall makes it wider at the floor and narrower at the bin level. You could possibly fit 1 - 1 - 1 in a parallel configuration, but there certainly isn't room for this in a herringbone configuration and parallel seats would not use the space efficiently. No airline has ever had more than 1 aisle on the 747 upper deck.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:49 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Smile

Originally Posted by NWA_5479
Perhaps a DL lurker (or skymilesinsider) could let us know of a timeline for the first rollout...
Hey guys...I know there's a HUGE amount of interest in the 747 flat bed project, so wanted to provide a quick update. The plane went into mod in PEK in October and is scheduled to return to service later this month. We'll be posting a lot of info about the new cabin config, JC seats, YC seats and IFE on the Delta blog in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned...

Chris B.
Sr. Product Manager
Customer Experience
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
Hey guys...I know there's a HUGE amount of interest in the 747 flat bed project, so wanted to provide a quick update. The plane went into mod in PEK in October and is scheduled to return to service later this month. We'll be posting a lot of info about the new cabin config, JC seats, YC seats and IFE on the Delta blog in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned...

Chris B.
Sr. Product Manager
Customer Experience
^ Thanks for the update Chris! Looking forward to seeing this plane enter service!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the update! 4 months to install seats?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.