Community
Wiki Posts
Search

a WFBF FO + "A" fare > DM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
a WFBF FO + "A" fare > DM

LAS-DTW

one way needed

Bad flight times = $153 "X" fare
Good flight times = $253 "K" fare (UG class also avail for mileage UG / SWU)
Best flight time and instant upgrade to F = $372 "A" fare

Choices:

-Take the X fare at 600am. Consider leaving Vegas earlier on a redeye, if X fares will be avail, or spending the night at the airport trying to SDS. Or actually fly at 600am. Maybe get an UG on a 757, but prolly not. No thanks

-Take the K fare and fly at a good time. Maybe snag an exit row. 5% higher chance of UG, but prolly not. Higher fare class, but polarized range of fare classes on this more desirable flight (competing against others on higher fare class).

-Take the K fare and burn a SWU or 12.5k miles, seems bad value considering the final option.

-Buy the A fare for $120 more and get 874 more miles. Not have to fret about BFUG etc. Get Sky Priority etc. Prolly worth ~$30/hour to not have to deal with someone next to you. 2 three woodfords, and a crappy dinner with a glass of wine or two, and it's surely a win.

An Aside:
(I wonder if businesspeople who are limited to "coach" fares can get reimbursed from their companies for these "coach" 'A' fares. If yes, then supernobrainer.)

Last edited by aubreyfromwheaton; Apr 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
-Buy the A fare for $120 more and get 874 more miles. Not have to fret about BFUG etc. Get Sky Priority etc. Prolly worth ~$30/hour to not have to deal with someone next to you. 2 three woodfords, and a crappy dinner with a glass of wine or two, and it's surely a win.
THIS is why it's much harder to get an upgrade these days (not that I'm complaining) but WFBF is the way for airlines to go...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
I just bought 2 P fare ow tix dtwlas today. I thought they were a great value. I wanted to be assured of f on decently-timed flights. Done!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... I wonder if businesspeople who are limited to "coach" fares can get reimbursed from their companies for these "coach" 'A' fares. If yes, then supernobrainer.
when I was on active duty I knew this was a stupid question

on my first trip as a support contractor after I retired, I specifically asked if corporate travel considered the IAD-ATL-DEN QUP fare that booked into A to be a coach ticket (therefore reimbursable), and was told "Yes"

with that precedent in place I was able to make Gold on both DL and CO for about the next six years
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
LAS-DTW

one way needed

Bad flight times = $153 "X" fare
Good flight times = $253 "K" fare (UG class also avail for mileage UG / SWU)
Best flight time and instant upgrade to F = $372 "A" fare

Choices:

-Take the X fare at 600am. Consider leaving Vegas earlier on a redeye, if X fares will be avail, or spending the night at the airport trying to SDS. Or actually fly at 600am. Maybe get an UG on a 757, but prolly not. No thanks

-Take the K fare and fly at a good time. Maybe snag an exit row. 5% higher chance of UG, but prolly not. Higher fare class, but polarized range of fare classes on this more desirable flight (competing against others on higher fare class).

-Take the K fare and burn a SWU or 12.5k miles, seems bad value considering the final option.

An Aside:
(I wonder if businesspeople who are limited to "coach" fares can get reimbursed from their companies for these "coach" 'A' fares. If yes, then supernobrainer.)
Try hidden city to somewhere else and see what happens.
You might even open up more availability based on married segment logic.
Or take the bad flight and SDC to the good flight.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
2 three woodfords, and a crappy dinner with a glass of wine or two, and it's surely a win.

.)
say no more. Deal... done.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vuelos
THIS is why it's much harder to get an upgrade these days (not that I'm complaining) but WFBF is the way for airlines to go...
there are some ridiculously low priced Z fares to most carribean destinations. Instead of being a victim of this, I bought into J. No waiting...extra MQMs and SM's and free woodford. Worth it.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
there are some ridiculously low priced Z fares to most carribean destinations. Instead of being a victim of this, I bought into J. No waiting...extra MQMs and SM's and free woodford. Worth it.
+1
As DM last year and PM this year, buying A or P when there is only a modest price difference is a no brainer.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
As DM last year and PM this year, buying A or P when there is only a modest price difference is a no brainer.
modest being the key word. the difference in price wasn't even something that needed to be considered. It also makes accomplishing a SDC easier.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
modest being the key word. the difference in price wasn't even something that needed to be considered. It also makes accomplishing a SDC easier.
Under the old or new rules for SDC/SDS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.