Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by matthew999
I would dispute that based on a marketing survey I took last year where DL was asking about bundling Silver and Gold with an Amex card.
Feel free to dispute, disagree, argue, etc. but my friend is high enough in DL ops that he has historically been very accurate with the things he has shared about directions the company was moving in. With a son who is gifted FO and a wife that is gifted GM and myself as a DM, I try to keep an ear to the ground (or to the DL employees) when it comes to the SM program. I have posted about this extensively in other threads. He has been very explicit about the fact that they have had bundles of complaints about medallion status being overtaken by CC holders and were looking for a way to restore value in the program to make it truly a beneft to be a FO (and separation from CC-based benes). Specifically (as I have mentioned elsewhere), he mentioned possibilities of zone 1 boarding, STE+ status, priority security, etc. While these would represent huge improvements to FO, it would, in some ways, devalue GM but he assured me that they had plans to "re-grade" those ranks as well. He also suggested, though, that DL upper management were split on which direction to move with this. I have to assume with this announcement, and knowing that I won't see my friend again until church on Sunday morning for discussion, that this represents a move in the opposite direction than what he believed was coming.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jsmith50
He also suggested, though, that DL upper management were split on which direction to move with this.
Obviously Richard and Jeff won out!!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Read your post! "I don't travel much, but have enjoyed the 2 bag perk".

WHAT???!?!?!?!?!

The point of elite is to reward those that travel much.

Is this REALLY the first indication that FO isn't worth anything? The upgrade lists 60+ people long, the gifting of status, being able to achieve FO without ever stepphing on a plane? There is a Yin to the Yang here, folks. Silver isn't anything! Yet people continue to want more promos and double miles.

Wake up.
The OP clearly stated that he did not want an AmEx CC which leads me to believe that he earned his FO status through BIS mileage. Obviously to do that, you have to put up at least 25K. I would think that DL would want to protect that customer's loyalty (and the possibility that they become tomorrow's DM) more than they would want the loyalty of someone who earns their FO status through a AmEx card and only flies one flight per year but takes the same benefits out of the program as the OP who pumped real money into DL's coffers for the tickets that he/she purchased. (Yes, I'm aware that AmEx gives plenty of money to DL too, but I doubt they're losing money on individual customers and even at Reserve level, DL likely makes $450 or more per customer per year, i.e. more than what AmEx contributes per customer to DL per year). The cost to DL of throwing one more 50 or 70 pound bag in the cargo hold costs them NOTHING for the FO who flies 5-10 times per year (or slightly more) but might cost that customer's loyalty!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It is pretty stingy. It's one thing to hose those who have the status gifted, but I would be very angry if I was a 25-49K flyer. That's not a small amount of flying.

I would note, however, that if the the silver gets upgraded prior to check-in the allowance remains at three pieces x 70 lbs. It also doesn't affect the benefit on international flights. Silvers (and all other elites for that matter) traveling in Y still get an extra free bag over the normal free allowance.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:10 pm

Yeah, I have 32000 BIS, mostly domestic, and I'm infuriated. This is an absolute travesty of a decision by a company that keeps trying to find ways to drive customers away.

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
This is not on par with other airlines in the industry. Both AA and US Airways allow two free checked bags for their lowest tier elites. Stop lying to us, stop pretending we are stupid, and reverse this moronic policy change.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm Reason: Edited out unnecessary attempt to bypass the profanity filter.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:11 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I suggest everyone complain on the website and see what happens
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I suggest everyone complain on the website and see what happens
It already has.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Again, do you think the jaded threat to book away from DL because you can't get the lowest coach fare and upgrade to F for free is a detriment to the DL business model?
Well first, I did not say anything about booking away from Delta. I still prefer their product but they need to be more competitive now to offset the perceived value in "loyalty."

And yes, if they include customer loyalty as a significant component in their business model the reduction of that factor certainly is detrimental.

Basically no longer will I blindly book DL for a flight but will take a closer look at all of the purchase considerations and decide objectively, not emotionally.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets

Lastly, a big ^ to DL on being more open with their program changes and not trying to sneak this one by. Keep it up!
So explain how this isn't sneaky. I'm pretty sure every other carrier has there 2012 program posted. We still don't have ours at least not completely. They offer people to buy miles to maintain status (by december 15th), which some do, and then tell them the benefits have changed. Nooooo not sneaky at all. FYI I think we'll see the changes december 15th after they are counting all the $$ from the people that bought the MQMs to get their FO,GM,PM,DM status.

I'm Diamond but it bothers me to see this. If you think this is it I think you are sorely mistaken. Delta starts taking a little from FO and soon it will be GM, PM, DM. They'll see how it affects the lower ranks and then will move it up the chain.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Stripe
It is pretty stingy. It's one thing to hose those who have the status gifted, but I would be very angry if I was a 25-49K flyer. That's not a small amount of flying.

I would note, however, that if the the silver gets upgraded prior to check-in the allowance remains at three pieces x 70 lbs. It also doesn't affect the benefit on international flights. Silvers (and all other elites for that matter) traveling in Y still get an extra free bag over the normal free allowance.
What? FOs get upgrades?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Obviously Richard and Jeff won out!!
Is this the same Jeff who claimed Delta was implementing a "best in class" frequent flyer program? How is this anywhere close to best in class?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
The change doesn't affect me personally (unless it's a sign of other "enhancements" about to be announced program-wide), but it's tacky and appallingly-badly implemented. Definitely not in line with Dickie Anderson's on-board video speech about loyalty and integrity being a two-way street.

And as much as Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles likes to think her post was an example of the company communicating with loyal customers first, she hasn't been MIA for 84 posts. I don't care for this style of "drive-by announcements"

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Anaom
So explain how this isn't sneaky. ...
I think this is sneaky, but it's just how Delta normally operates. They repeat the same behavior over and over again. If you are expecting otherwise, I think you are in the wrong frequent flyer program. I saw the writing on the wall and left a long time ago.; took my 100,000+ miles of annual business travel elsewhere.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
And as much as Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles likes to think her post was an example of the company communicating with loyal customers first, she hasn't been MIA for 84 posts. I don't care for this style of "drive-by announcements"
To be fair, she (a) posted this before it was announced on Delta.com and (b) posted it at 4:30 p.m. Atlanta time, when it's likely near the end of her day. I tend to think she has better things to do than sit at home (on her own time) reading and responding to FlyerTalk at 8:45 p.m. on a Monday night.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Anaom
I'm Diamond but it bothers me to see this. If you think this is it I think you are sorely mistaken. Delta starts taking a little from FO and soon it will be GM, PM, DM. They'll see how it affects the lower ranks and then will move it up the chain.
To paraphrase (and cause an invokation of Godwin's Law )

"First they came for the FO's but I didn't speak out because I was a DM..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.