Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Michelle et al.

I, for one, very much appreciate you being here and clearly increasing your communications via FT. Please keep this up and PLEASE answer the questions and engage in this discussion.

I have been an FO for 1.5 years now, and honestly have thoroughly enjoyed it. I very recently hit GM and am I ever glad I did now! Not only did those with cards start boarding Zone 2 with me, but now I lose bag allowance??? I'm forced to maintain my AmEx to keep the 2 bag rule???

This is really poor and quite insulting. I spent a good amount of time on DL (flying no other airlines this year) and hit GM status. If this is how I will be treated when I do ever drop to FO again, I will have to pursue another airline. I'll enjoy my GM perks until those disappear, but I really hope you will share all of the above thoughts with the people who make these decisions. Again - I was treated well as an FO. But it's sure not looking like I could expect the same quality from this point forward.

I have been a big fan of DL for a very long time, and very happy overall being a customer. DL truly has some of the most outstanding agents in the business. I am only 1 person; however, my loyalty is not carved in stone and there are other airlines that will probably welcome me. I do not WANT to leave DL, but if my options are DL FO or another airline with better perks - I'm gone. Please think about this a bit more, but I suspect my opinion doesn't actually matter.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
[QUOTE=Fly_Delta_Jets;17613770]And one can't forget unlimited upgrades (including companion upgrades), free preferred seating, the Silver line, Skyteam Elite Status (not much, but hey--it's a benefit), priority check-in, and the class of service bonuses.

I honestly don't see this as a huge devaluation-]

-As a silver odds are you aren't getting up front. This is more so the case by far than in recent years. So what is that worth?

-Free preferred seating with the Amex card. Why not just get the card and fly Delta when it is convenient or cheap?

-Silver line? Hasn't been impressive for me. The only time I ever need to call them is when their systems screw up. More things are possible using the internet anyway.

-Priority Checkin? Most of the time that is useless to me.

Like others have said, this alone isn't that big of a deal. The problem is the consistent degradation of the silver status. Especially coming in spurts every few months. Really, the only thing I valued about silver was the chance at an upgrade if you could fly off peak. Even this doesn't happen often these days since they have given the status away. If I hadn't resigned myself in caring about maintaining my silver status months ago, I would be pissed right now. But you know the old saying. You get the customers you deserve. Since the status has been reduced significantly, so has my loyalty to them. Like I have said in other threads, it's actually quite liberating to know I'm no longer worried about clinching the status.

Last edited by micstatic; Dec 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm Reason: added end quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can I have a quick question for you guys? Why they charge 2nd checked bags for FO? I don't want to get charge of 2nd checked bag fees. It will get too extremely expensive. That's not possible for everyone else. It's too impossible for me to checked 2nd bag fee.

What about Gold Medallion? Can I have 2nd checked bag free is only for Gold Medallion? What about international?? Is that still remain 2 checked bag free? I am not sure who whether if you guys who know about the checked bag restrictions.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Hi all - DL.com appears updated.

The good question above (weight limit on 2nd bag) isn't answered. Here's what is currently on the bag webpage...

* Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2011 for travel on or after March 1, 2012, Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite, and Alaska Airlines MVP members may check one bag up to 70 lbs (32kg) at no charge on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights. Basic Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express may check a second bag for free on Delta and Delta Connection flights. Second bag fee waiver benefit is limited to Silver Medallion members who are Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. First and second baggage fee waivers apply to up to nine people traveling in the eligible Silver Medallion member’s reservation. This rule will apply to Economy Cclass tickets within or between the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. The benefit applies to up to nine people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Don't like it or other fairly recent changes.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:19 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
Can I have a quick question for you guys? Why they charge 2nd checked bags for FO? I don't want to get charge of 2nd checked bag fees. It will get too extremely expensive. That's not possible for everyone else. It's too impossible for me to checked 2nd bag fee.

What about Gold Medallion? Can I have 2nd checked bag free is only for Gold Medallion? What about international?? Is that still remain 2 checked bag free? I am not sure who whether if you guys who know about the checked bag restrictions.
This page should help:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp

Basically the 1 bag for FOs is only for domestic flights. International is unchanged. TPAC is 3 bags at 50lbs. Brazil is 2 at 70lbs. And all others are current allowance +1 (in most cases 2 free at 50lbs).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
New Baggage Rules

From (look for the small type) in the footnote

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp

"Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2011 for travel on or after March 1, 2012, Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite, and Alaska Airlines MVP members may check one bag up to 70 lbs (32kg) at no charge on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights. Basic Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express may check a second bag for free on Delta and Delta Connection flights. Second bag fee waiver benefit is limited to Silver Medallion members who are Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. First and second baggage fee waivers apply to up to nine people traveling in the eligible Silver Medallion member’s reservation. This rule will apply to Economy Cclass tickets within or between the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. The benefit applies to up to nine people traveling in the eligible member's reservation. "

Yet another improvement in service -- and more bags being carried on, longer waits at security and more gate lice.

"Thanks" Delta.

BTW, I rarely check luggage ... so it rarely gets lost.

Bob H
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:23 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edallions.html
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
And one can't forget unlimited upgrades (including companion upgrades), free preferred seating, the Silver line, Skyteam Elite Status (not much, but hey--it's a benefit), priority check-in, and the class of service bonuses.
I do not think the class of service bonus is only for elites. AFAIK, FC and BE fares earn 150% MQMs for everyone, as do Y B M fares.

I think you are referring to the 25% bonus that FOs earn in redeemable miles.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:24 pm

cutbacks in service and editors
bolding mine

"...This rule will apply to Economy Cclass tickets"
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. ...
For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. The reason I said that it will affect “some” Silver Medallions is because Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Our website will be updated shortly and customers impacted by this change will start seeing this in the future.

While this change may impact some of you, it is still on par with other airlines in the industry. We wanted you to hear from us first.

Thanks,
Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
For what it matters, (and to be quite honest, recently DL social media shows clear signs that it does not matter to the firm at all...)

(a) a 3 day notice for bookings is not an advance notice.
(b) every pm/dm (and even GM) generates additional travel, several of them are of fellows reaching SM elite level. I personally have about 7 of them (FO) at my close research fellows. For them, this year has been a very bad year and continues downwards.
(c) DL is the only major US program that did not announce the benefits, T&C for the year 2012. Not even in general terms.
(d) This policy is NOT in line with several of the US mainland airlines. As a matter of fact, it does reduce a lot of the reasoning one may have to hold their team loyal to a specific airline at the low level. It also hurts, retrospectively, the value of gifting FO status to fellows or family members.
(e) What else did you do for the FO this year? limit access to E+ seats? check. Lower baggage allowance? check. Add them to the AMEX boarding zone (aka zone 2 + amex+ almost every second person waiting...)? Check
What did you leave them?

It's not even the second bag issue (and, rest assure, it is a big issue of its own). It's the 'bait and switch'. It's the we 'align'/'enhance' and 'communicate' changes after the facts. Every day is a new surprise. And usually, a bad one.

So do yourself a favor, as a firm. Just announce that Delta airlines, as the leading airline in the industry has decided that it is not interested in 'conversation'/'communication' with clients in social media. OK, so we will know what to expect

You have selected an easy target, marked it, and conducted 'hit and run'. The only thing you can get credit for is the fact that it seems that you have learned abit from the DOT memos regarding retroactive changes, and learned abit more about aligning the IT changes with the program changes.

I am having nightmares from the expected package of 'enhanced' benefits in the 2012 skymiles programs. What do you plan for us more?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BHMFlier
Been reading this board for a long time now but this makes me angry enough to contribute...

I am Delta loyal silver medallion. I don't travel much but have enjoyed the 2 bag perk since achieving my status. What value is left in this program for me? I hardly ever get an upgrade. I already get stuck boarding in zone 2 and half the time flying out of BHM the overhead space is already taken up from the zone 1 customers, especially on the small commuter jets. I guess with these changes all I will have left is the ability to pick an exit row seat, assuming I am able to book fare enough in advance that they are not taken also. I don't want an American Express card so why does that take away my benefits of flying with Delta as a silver medallion? Goes to show that silver medallion is not an elite status at all!
Read your post! "I don't travel much, but have enjoyed the 2 bag perk".

WHAT???!?!?!?!?!

The point of elite is to reward those that travel much.

Is this REALLY the first indication that FO isn't worth anything? The upgrade lists 60+ people long, the gifting of status, being able to achieve FO without ever stepphing on a plane? There is a Yin to the Yang here, folks. Silver isn't anything! Yet people continue to want more promos and double miles.

Wake up.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:40 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Old news!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Even though as a PM I am exempt from this, my wife whom I have gifted FO status will not be. I agree with others that this will likely lead me to change my "Choice Benefit" for next year. When I fly Delta with her, we'll travel, because she can check as many bags as she needs with me. But otherwise, she may as well fly WN (which she likes anyway). We'll move the business away from Delta and get $200 back in an e-cert instead. It all adds up to money lost for the airline. I'll be sure of that.

Frankly, Michelle et al. at DL, I'm very disappointed by this. I've been working for years to disabuse my wife of her love of WN. I've told her again and again how nice Delta is. I've been a big Delta cheerleader for a long time. But this change is so petty (and so unnecessarily harsh for customers that are supposed to have some value for the airline), that I don't think I have a leg to stand on anymore.

If today were April 1st, I would say this is a joke. It's such a slap in the face to loyal customers that it's practically unbelievable.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Read your post! "I don't travel much, but have enjoyed the 2 bag perk".

WHAT???!?!?!?!?!

The point of elite is to reward those that travel much.
There are still FOs who earn status because they do fly. This FO is at 40k BIS miles. This change effects me just as much (actually, more) than those who earn status purely through promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.