Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by browell:17616301
Yep, today it's just a stick in the eye of the FO's...... but let's not forget, years ago, PM (then the top tier) used to get 3 checked bags at 70lbs. I forget exactly when, but I think it was Feb 1 of 2008 they suddenly changed that to 2 bags, with ZERO notice to the PM's (you know, supposedly your valued travelers?)

Hang on folks, they're chumming the water for something .......

(yeah, I check 3 every trip. I travel 10 days at a stretch and have to bring my tools. I have to book within 1-2 days prior to travel and I LOVE paying for that 3rd bag....not....)
Wasn't just pm, even fo used to get 3 70lb suitcases, at least internationally. But yes, in 2008, it went down to 2
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets

Lastly, a big ^ to DL on being more open with their program changes and not trying to sneak this one by. Keep it up!
It is DECEMBER! This change is for the program year that starts in 2 weeks though you get a 3 month delay...it is DECEMBER. Delta is the only program to not announce the 2012 program until it is too late to do anything about it.

If you are giving them thumbs up for changes to a program that starts in 2 weeks but that many folks have been working for over a year then, well....

Last edited by avidflyer; Dec 13, 2011 at 5:45 am
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
So, the value of Silver goes from a bucket of warm spit to a bucket of cold spit.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by B7e7US
And once again, Delta forgot about those of us who live outside of the US and can't have an US AMEX Card, but still fly regularly within the US/Canada.

While I don't usually complain about the devaluation of the Silver Medallion Status, and always have recognized that GMs, PMs, and DMs are entitled to more benefits because they spend more time in the air, I believe that this is an abuse.
+1
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some random comments:

The people most likely to be affected are probably students and those who travel purely for leisure activities such as skiing and diving. This is probably a particularly low revenue subset of Silvers. While AmEx has programs for college students to get a regular charge card, I suspect many students and very young people would have a hard time qualifying for a DL AmEx, even though this could be a good way to build loyalty early. Students tend to graduate and get good professional jobs, sometimes in positions where they have some control over their own business travel.

I wonder how DL views the timing. Could they be predicting that this announcement will cause some FOs to try hard to make GM for next year, despite it being tough for most people to make MRs now and those MRs likely to involve expensive packed flights. The alternative is to panic and buy MQMs during the next few days, perhaps reasoning that the miles will cost less than bag fees and fees for E+ seats. Is this what DL expects the response to be?

Could there be concern in advance that Congress may mandate a free checked bag for every passenger and DL is worried that this will be required to be in addition to what is already provided. I think this is unlikely as I do not envision politicians defending FFs, but DL might feel that three free bags for all of their two million or so FOs in this case would be too expensive when fuel prices are high.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could there be concern in advance that Congress may mandate a free checked bag for every passenger and DL is worried that this will be required to be in addition to what is already provided. I think this is unlikely as I do not envision politicians defending FFs, but DL might feel that three free bags for all of their two million or so FOs in this case would be too expensive when fuel prices are high.
If only, but I doubt that this is driving this change -- even as blaming politicians for businesses increasing prices/costs for consumers is part of the business lobby playbook being used by: (i) the K Street and Madison Avenue types working on behalf of the financial services industry; and/or (ii) those otherwise defending chums and other favored dear ones in the financial services industry. The airlines and their self-dealing advocates have been playing a bit from that same playbook, but I wasn't buying it there either.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Just remember this the next time someone waxes nostalgic for a DMQM promotion. This is why I hate anything, but BIS. There is NOTHING elite about Elite. DL created this and just about everyone on this board has bought into it.

It's a race to the bottom satisfying the common denominator and DL is winning.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
This is why I hate anything, but BIS. There is NOTHING elite about Elite.
I agree about BIS 100%. I will never understand how a high Amex spend relates to being an elite on an airline, but whatever.

It is rather sad when more often than not the majority of the pax on a flight are elites. Something is wrong there, and perhaps they are starting to ramp down the FO level to non-elite status.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta GM and all the magic that comes with it
Even if I was not an Amex card holder and on the verge of Gold, I would be pretty happy to see 70 lbs show up again for a normal bag weight.

I had to split my 54 pound bag into two bags last flight - pretty easy since I intentionally packed them that way as my arm scale is not fool-proof and it was reading only slightly heavy.

No disagreements that 1 @ 70 is a cut from 2 @ 50, but other than folks traveling with bulky things, I am hard pressed to see the true practical difference (other than the obvious 30 lbs - do you really travel with 100 lbs of luggage?).

Other than the big 'ol hit to us in quasi cattle class as another complementary benefit disappears.

I better check with the wife to see what we have to haul home for Christmas.

It would certainly be nice to have some clarification as to whether Amex cardholders who are FO get a second 70 lb bag or an additional 50 lb bag.

Maybe I need to carry my own bags of sand on the CRJ.

Daniel
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
Good afternoon,

We’re trying to do a better job notifying you in advance when changes are made that could impact your travel. That’s why I’m letting you know that we have an update to the baggage policy which impacts some Silver Medallions.

For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15
I realize I haven't read this whole thread...but, I fail to understand why Delta can't announce changes like this way far in advance. Why couldn't Delta announce this six months in advance? I just don't get it.

And, this is coming from Platinum member. I just don't get it....

Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta GM and all the magic that comes with it
Whoa, if you hover your cursor over the bag icons on the chart, it shows the different weights implied.

Not quite explicitly in writing.

But there is also a color coded legend at the bottom of the page.

Time to start traveling with a color laser printed copy of the baggage schedule. Joy.

Wonder how long it will take for the contracted staff at out stations to get all this right?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is less about the change (who REALLY thought FO would get away unscathed in 2012??) but more about the character of the company. We still do not have any details on the 2012 program...which, by the way, people have been earning towards since Jan 1 of 2011. Every other carrier has announced details of the 2012 program..most back in August/September.

What other gems have they been waiting to spring on us? A company that acts this arrogant towards its customers cannot be trusted. Really...2 weeks left and they announce a change without "the rest of the story" (2012 program details). Be afraid....
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I realize I haven't read this whole thread...but, I fail to understand why Delta can't announce changes like this way far in advance. Why couldn't Delta announce this six months in advance? I just don't get it.

And, this is coming from Platinum member. I just don't get it....

Simple: They wanted somebody else to lead and they did NOT want FOs to have a chance at status on another carrier. It is underhanded no matter how you spin it. I do not necessarily think the change is out of line but I do think the method and underlying message is WAY out of line.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
It's outrageous and a total disgrace, also for Skyteam Elites, that an airline cares more about credit card holders than actual FFers. SHAME ON YOU DL!!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
I don't see how this is "in line with the competition". Don't all other major US carriers give 2 free checked bags to their bottom-level elites?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.