Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 2021 12-16-11: No V inventory?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

DL 2021 12-16-11: No V inventory?

I'm really surprised my upgrade has not cleared. I'm a PM on a U fare and just 2 days ago there were 10+ F seats open (per seat map) now there are only 3?

I find it hard to believe that there were that many DM's that cleared?

Is this a medallion heavy route?

What am I missing?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by seychellesbound
I'm really surprised my upgrade has not cleared. I'm a PM on a U fare and just 2 days ago there were 10+ F seats open (per seat map) now there are only 3?

What am I missing?
Something is going on! For the first time I didn't clear on DCA-BOS as a Diamond during the upgrade sweeps. First Class had 5 open seats.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat

What am I missing?
You are on a 2nd-lowest fare class. Likely that there were PMs that cleared before you.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
You are on a 2nd-lowest fare class. Likely that there were PMs that cleared before you.
How do upgrade sweeps work then?

If there isn't enough V inventory for ALL PM's then NO PM's should clear in advance, IMHO.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.

If there isn't enough V inventory for ALL PM's then NO PM's should clear in advance, IMHO.
I believe it compares the V inventory and upgrades elites by priority up to that number. There is no guarantee that if one PM clears, they all clear. A PM on a K fare may clear, but one on a T fare may not.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat

If there is V inventory, upgrades clear by upgrade priority. You're behind ALL DMs and PMs on Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L. If you want to better your upgrade chances, buy up to a higher fare class.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:48 am

The machine goes by this list until it either runs out of V/X inventory or eligible passengers.

That makes no sense. In your opinion, should it then skip to GMs? Or wait for more DMs to book the flight?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM
That makes no sense. In your opinion, should it then skip to GMs? Or wait for more DMs to book the flight?[/QUOTE]

Oh come on...OP paid their U fare. If they don't get UG, why should anyone else?

UNBELIEVABLE.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DYKWIA
" Do you know who I am? Look at me! Look at me! I am on a U fare! A U FARE! I am a GOLD MEDALLION! I want to talk to Richard Anderson right now!"
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:13 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Flyer339;17610269]" Do you know who I am? Look at me! Look at me! I am on a U fare! A U FARE! I am a GOLD MEDALLION! I want to talk to Richard Anderson right now!"[/QUOT

I UNDERSTAND a U fare is low on the pecking order but HOW MANY higher fare class DM's and PM's can there be on this route?

This is a Friday afternoon flight near the holidays and I can't imagine that much business travel.

All the other DTW-PHX flights on the same day have V inventory left as of today, that's all I'm saying.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davisew
The machine goes by this list until it either runs out of V/X inventory or eligible passengers.

That makes no sense. In your opinion, should it then skip to GMs? Or wait for more DMs to book the flight?
NO IT SHOULDN'T SKIP TO GM but they would be on the list T-24.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=seychellesbound;17610322]
Originally Posted by Flyer339
" Do you know who I am? Look at me! Look at me! I am on a U fare! A U FARE! I am a GOLD MEDALLION! I want to talk to Richard Anderson right now!"[/QUOT

I UNDERSTAND a U fare is low on the pecking order but HOW MANY higher fare class DM's and PM's can there be on this route?

This is a Friday afternoon flight near the holidays and I can't imagine that much business travel.

All the other DTW-PHX flights on the same day have V inventory left as of today, that's all I'm saying.
I assume you are joking. A PM on a U fare from DTW to anywhere is on the bubble let alone on a Friday. As a DM who left for UA for a better domestic UG % I can tell you that even a DM on a U fare would have a tough time out of DTW/ATL/SLC/JFK/LAX/SFO on a Friday.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DYKWIA
Anyway, best of luck/Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to the OP.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
[QUOTE=seychellesbound;17610322]
Originally Posted by Flyer339

Enough to deny you the upgrade.

There's three DTW-PHX non-stops, all 757s. DL2021 is the 3:45pm-6:15pm, which for many people, would be the preferred fight. I can understand why the Fri last-direct would be the most filled.

Yea, it's eye-opening that I used to get 75% UGs as a NW GE and 99% as a NW PE, yet now we're talking about PMs being the new GM/FO. Brave new world we're in, now.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
NO IT SHOULDN'T SKIP TO GM but they would be on the list T-24.
I doesn't "skip to GM"...the next on the list gets the next seat. The window is only the FIRST chance you get..not the only or guaranteed chance. On many flights it is nothing but DMs who get the V on each window. Do you believe if V opens at the 24 hour mark a FO would get the UG over a DM????

I am a little shocked at the lack of understanding on how the DL system works. As a PM I have to believe you have been through this before, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.