FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Speculation: 2012 SkyMiles Program Changes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1287266-speculation-2012-skymiles-program-changes.html)

javabytes Dec 3, 2011 3:37 pm

Speculation: 2012 SkyMiles Program Changes?

A number of changes have been alluded to in various threads by the DL employees posting in an official or unofficial capacity on these forums. While they are naturally unable to provide details, I thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's best guesses as to what is in store for the SkyMiles program in 2012.

I'll start it off:
1. I think PerkChoice will finally be rolled out, as well as the ability to upgrade using miles online.
2. I think we will see downward adjustments to elite bonus mile earning rates a la UA/CO.
3. I think we are not yet in store for a new tier (whether as an addition to the current 4 or as a replacement for one of them); I think this will be part of next year's changes.

Other questions remaining open in my mind are:
1. Will DL institute a revenue component to elite qualification? (I can see a minor component such as UA/CO, but not a more substantial one until rollover MQMs are killed.)
2. Will segment fliers finally feel the love?
3. With the rollout of domestic EC, will we see any changes limiting upgrade eligibility? Either for low elite tiers or low fare classes?

Your thoughts?

Crazyhotelguy Dec 3, 2011 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 17561106)
A number of changes have been alluded to in various threads by the DL employees posting in an official or unofficial capacity on these forums. While they are naturally unable to provide details, I thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's best guesses as to what is in store for the SkyMiles program in 2012.

I'll start it off:
1. I think PerkChoice will finally be rolled out, as well as the ability to upgrade using miles online.
2. I think we will see downward adjustments to elite bonus mile earning rates a la UA/CO.
3. I think we are not yet in store for a new tier (whether as an addition to the current 4 or as a replacement for one of them); I think this will be part of next year's changes.

Other questions remaining open in my mind are:
1. Will DL institute a revenue component to elite qualification? (I can see a minor component such as UA/CO, but not a more substantial one until rollover MQMs are killed.)
3. With the rollout of domestic EC, will we see any changes limiting upgrade eligibility? Either for low elite tiers or low fare classes?

Your thoughts?

Hopefully we will know what 2012 's program is around October. :D:D

Anything prior is speculative.

MSPeconomist Dec 3, 2011 3:49 pm

DL could continue rollover while adding an annual revenue requirement for elite status. If the amount is high, it would prevent many from benefitting from rollover, but a minimal requirement would primarily affect those who totally abandon DL to try another carrier and then want to return to DL or those who attempt to burn lots of miles on award tickets and still maintain status without any or many tickets paid with money.

javabytes Dec 3, 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 17561144)

[edit]Missed your sarcasm the first time :D[/edit]

And yes, this thread is meant to be 100% speculative.

CJKatl Dec 3, 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 17561106)

Thanks for including us segments qualifiers. It's good to know that even if DL doesn't show us any warm fuzzies or respect, we are in our fellow FTers thoughts.

james318 Dec 3, 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 17561368)
Thanks for including us segments qualifiers. It's good to know that even if DL doesn't show us any warm fuzzies or respect, we are in our fellow FTers thoughts.

Ya'll have it rough. I am at 115 segments this year, but will qualify for diamond with miles. I've done a ton of short haul flying DTW-bna-DTW the first part of the year.

We love and appreciate everything you do. :D

andydrix Dec 3, 2011 4:42 pm

Wonder if Delta will eventually offer a useful award for being Platinum or Diamond? The "choose two" from the list below is pretty weak, especially since the SWUs are virtually useless unless you intentionally purchase in the eligible fare classes. Anyone ever redeemed an award for "travel/gift cards"?

6 Systemwide upgrade
25,000 bonus miles
Gift Gold Medallion Status
6 One-Day SkyClub Passes
Travel/Retail Gift Cards (various)

GRALISTAIR Dec 3, 2011 4:44 pm

I cant see too many changes happening until the AA situation is clearer. I think they will want to pick up business from AA and will not make too many changes.

CJKatl Dec 3, 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by james318 (Post 17561395)
Ya'll have it rough. I am at 115 segments this year, but will qualify for diamond with miles. I've done a ton of short haul flying DTW-bna-DTW the first part of the year.

We love and appreciate everything you do. :D

We are at about the same number of segments, so I've requalified for PM, but I'm still not at 75k miles. Most of mine are direct flights. If it were important to me, I could do connecting flights and get to DM, doing that would mean getting into the next place later, getting less sleep and being miserable.

javabytes Dec 3, 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by andydrix (Post 17561400)
Wonder if Delta will eventually offer a useful award for being Platinum or Diamond? The "choose two" from the list below is pretty weak, especially since the SWUs are virtually useless unless you intentionally purchase in the eligible fare classes. Anyone ever redeemed an award for "travel/gift cards"?

6 Systemwide upgrade
25,000 bonus miles
Gift Gold Medallion Status
6 One-Day SkyClub Passes
Travel/Retail Gift Cards (various)

Many people choose this option. Current offerings are a DL TCV or a $200 Tiffany's GC. I believe in the past they had one or two other offerings, including a GC for a major hotel chain.

fti Dec 3, 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 17561144)

How true.

In Janaury 2009 I remember them making changes to the elite program. One was to eliminate free award changes for PM's. Then they eventually went to 2 free changes, then back to unlimited.

So even if they announce the 2012 program soon, it is totally subject to change at any time throughout the year.

ETA: I have to chuckle how the elimination of free award changes for PM's back in January 2009 was because PM's weren't showing up for flights. Then most recently the "no refund of miles if a no show" and the 72-hour rule implementation were because everyone (just not elites) were making too many changes. Easy to blame your customers for stuff like that (when no other airline in the industry has the same apparent problem that DL has in this regard).

Jiatong Dec 3, 2011 6:06 pm

Speculative

- Rollover to continue in 2012, but expect rollover to be discontinued in 2013.

- Award flights will count as segments, ( feel the love ) , similar to SPG & HH award nights count as stay nights.

5khours Dec 3, 2011 6:13 pm

When you make your chicken salad out of chicken sh**, there is not much you can do to make it taste better.... or worse.

Fly_Delta_Jets Dec 3, 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 17561767)
When you make your chicken salad out of chicken sh**, there is not much you can do to make it taste better.... or worse.

:rolleyes:

james318 Dec 3, 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 17561422)
We are at about the same number of segments, so I've requalified for PM, but I'm still not at 75k miles. Most of mine are direct flights. If it were important to me, I could do connecting flights and get to DM, doing that would mean getting into the next place later, getting less sleep and being miserable.

Yikes. I am about 115K. You must do many short-haul. Luckily, my average trip went from DTW-BNA-DTW to DTW-DFW-DTW, double the miles. And more than not, I can fly DTW-SLC-DTW-SLC-DTW for the same price. Yes, I get in later, and yes, I am more miserable... But, when I clangy clang while walking around, it will all be worth it. ;)