Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation: 2012 SkyMiles Program Changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: 2012 SkyMiles Program Changes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:55 pm

Sitting in the back of Delta right now. 15 minute wait for gate and now they don't have anyone to drive the jetway. This is suppose to keep me around?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Sitting in the back of Delta right now. 15 minute wait for gate and now they don't have anyone to drive the jetway. This is suppose to keep me around?
Which airport? ATL will not have your gate until scheduled arrival. LGA I wouldn't be surprised either. DCA once kept me for 90 minutes on the tarmac after arrival. At least you got there.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fti
His point was that once you attain Business Select status, you get priority boarding anyway so having an assigned seat is not a big issue.
only if you like to be gate lice. some of us like to stroll onto the plane as late as possible (why wait on the plane?), so an assigned seat is huge.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dean1121
ROLLOVER just sucks, it dilutes everything and takes the "elite" out of everything DL is supposed to stand for.
Gee, maybe rollover isn't aimed at you guys, and instead it's DL's way of rewarding others that miss the mark because their company got tight at the end of the year and cancelled their last couple of planned trips...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I cant see too many changes happening until the AA situation is clearer. I think they will want to pick up business from AA and will not make too many changes.

great, first we have to wait for UA/CO now wait for AA. Cant someone at DL just lead, make some decisions that create good will for the customer, have some friendly staff and lead the DAM business segment. there is opportunity everywhere for and airline like DL to really take controle and make soem real money for share holders and give customers a great flying experience.
One might argue DL did lead with rollover...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
Which airport? ATL will not have your gate until scheduled arrival. LGA I wouldn't be surprised either. DCA once kept me for 90 minutes on the tarmac after arrival. At least you got there.
DTW is notorious for this in concourses B & C. Never have the problem in concourse A.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by exwannabe
DL uses the lack of one way awards as part of the method for inflating SMs. Some will end up paying L+M thinking that is the best they can do, while if PerkChoice exists they would just use that on the L component. And thus the average redemption price drops.
I don't see how the lack of OW awards inflates SM's. In fact, a case could be made that using stopovers and open jaws to their max leaves more SM's on the table than if they didn't have that feature. I routinely book DL awards at about 50K miles that would cost 75K miles with other airlines.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Sounds like most of my flights in or out of DTW. All of them if we throw catering delays in.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone who keeps going on about MQM's being a bad thing really does not understand the dynamic of the situation, nor what it adds to the airlines revenue and the happiness of customers, not to mention that perhaps any "inflation" in DM ranks could not possibly exists asDM has only existed as long as rollover has, and any "inflation" would have been down to DL and NW merging. as there were no general MQM promos this year and the economy is down there is no such thing. Quite frankly DL got an extra four Biz long haul segments out of me this year due only to rollover MQM's. For those us us with multiple top tier memberships, the last half year or quarter makes this sort of thing vital for an airline to retain our business. By September or so when I have requalified for all of my programs it often comes down to who has the best perk to keep my flying them through Dec 31st, Who has a threshold bonus? Who has carry-over? Who has some other accelerator coming on?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by Denal1
WOW! To each his own but that seems a stretch. Priority bags, Priority boarding and choosing seats would be enough to keep me at Delta vs SW...
I give a +1 ^ to Denal1. Fly enough on SW to get A-List preferred (50 segments) and you get free bags (OK, not priority bags, but free bags) + priority boarding + seat selection by way of priority boarding. I fly both DL and SW, and I have no axe to grind.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
WOW! To each his own but that seems a stretch. Priority bags, Priority boarding and choosing seats would be enough to keep me at Delta vs SW...
And domestic EC is in the works.

David
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by hfly
Who has a threshold bonus? Who has carry-over? Who has some other accelerator coming on?
if I have hit 1K it behoves me to continue flying UA for more SWUs. That is usable to me. More MQMs that I will easily earn next year have zero vale to me. They are valuable to somebody who cant get back to the status they are at this year, next year but that is about it.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fti
Yes, it is more than silver but less than gold, so I don't understand your point. His point was that once you attain Business Select status, you get priority boarding anyway so having an assigned seat is not a big issue.
In my limited experience with Southwest, I have mostly boarded a plane that had a lot of folks continuing on that flight. Those folks moved around and took all of the good seats, and even the early boarders had to take middle seats or go to the back of the bus.

ROLLOVER just sucks, it dilutes everything and takes the "elite" out of everything DL is supposed to stand for.
OK, we get it. Anybody who flies less (or pays less) than you should ride in coach, pay for their bags, and board after you.

David
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
. More MQMs that I will easily earn next year have zero vale to me. They are valuable to somebody who cant get back to the status they are at this year, next year but that is about it.
I agree completely. I would rather have the option of trading them for some benefit now...UGs, travel etc. If you routinely fly 125k+ per year I just don't see the benefit of rollover.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
if I have hit 1K it behoves me to continue flying UA for more SWUs. That is usable to me. More MQMs that I will easily earn next year have zero vale to me. They are valuable to somebody who cant get back to the status they are at this year, next year but that is about it.
I agree completely. I would rather have the option of trading them for some benefit now...UGs, travel etc. If you routinely fly 125k+ per year I just don't see the benefit of rollover.
Just remember, the two of you are very much in the minority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.