Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta.com Says KLM Economy Comfort is Free for Delta PMs, But it's Not True

Delta.com Says KLM Economy Comfort is Free for Delta PMs, But it's Not True

Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by rwoman
The chart looks funny on my IE (only browser at work), but I now see what you're talking about.

Is it just me, or should this NOT be this difficult??
It definitely shouldn't be this difficult. Ideally, the computer systems would all play nicely together and there would be no issues. I'd even settle for people reporting consistent answers from phone agents, however.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:45 am

Just called the DL Platinum line who sent me to Delta on-line support who then sent me to KLM reservations who have told me that I have to wait until 8 am EST to call the KLM service center...

Ironically those are the people who told me I had to do this through the Delta platinum line...

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz FS, SPG Plt, HH Gold
Another thread that was in the KLM section. Hopefully, this adds to the discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...trouble-2.html
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
DL should clarify this issue with KL and publish some guidelines, as in we should call the DM, call KL, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KLM Economy Comfort is indeed free for DL DM/PM. Not the 50% discount as stated on KLM.com for other ST Elite+. There has been contact with KLM and they said they'll change it on their website.
That said, EC seating is one of the things which goes wrong over and over. Seat assignments made at DL.com rarely/don't work so you need to do it via KLM.com or by calling KL/DL AND AFTER THAT check it on KL's website.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
KLM Economy Comfort is indeed free for DL DM/PM. Not the 50% discount as stated on KLM.com for other ST Elite+. There has been contact with KLM and they said they'll change it on their website.
That said, EC seating is one of the things which goes wrong over and over. Seat assignments made at DL.com rarely/don't work so you need to do it via KLM.com or by calling KL/DL AND AFTER THAT check it on KL's website.
This is pretty good advice. These are the three important things a DM/PM must do:

A) Call DM/PM line and ask them to assign a KLM EC seat for you (If they don't know how to do it, tell them to check with their help desk or supervisor because it IS a benefit and with a knowledgeable agent this will be done in <1 min)

B) Ask for the KLM Booking Code

C) Go to KLM.com and put in booking code and verify that you are in EC seats. Delta.com DOES NOT matter, only KLM.com since they are the operating carrier.

The only trouble I could see the OP having might be if the departure flight is more than 90 days from now. KLM EC is only able to be assigned WITHIN 90 days of departure. This differs from Delta EC which can be assigned 331 days in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
A) Call DM/PM line and ask them to assign a KLM EC seat for you (If they don't know how to do it, tell them to check with their help desk or supervisor because it IS a benefit and with a knowledgeable agent this will be done in <1 min)
Everytime I've called I've eventually been told that because it is NOT a code share flight nobody at Delta can do anything about seat assignments...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Burj
Everytime I've called I've eventually been told that because it is NOT a code share flight nobody at Delta can do anything about seat assignments...
Ask for Chisholm, they understand what KLM is and how to see their inventory.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:30 pm

The post below is a bit long but hopefully this will help someone else save time... The summary of the post is the following:

Do not bother with Delta or KLM reservations but call KLM online/web support at: 866-434-0320

Be POLITE and when the agent says that Delta plats don't get Economy Comfort on KLM ask them to check with a supervisor as it is a NEW reciprocal benefit now that Delta has economy comfort also.

In any case I am now all set...this is what I had to do:

Call KLM online support at: 866-494-0320
On the automated menu option 1 is for people who did NOT purchase their ticket from klm.com...if you select that you get a recording ask you to call normal reservations...then CLICK...

So I called back and this time selected "2" which is for people who DID purchase through klm.com

After a wait I got an agent and I explained I was a Delta Plat who was flying KLM transatlantic and I would like to get a seat assignment in economy comfort.

She told me to go through klm.com

I explained that when I did that it tried to charge me despite being a Delta Plat.

She claimed that was correct.

I POLITELY explained that now that Delta had Economy Comfort that it is reciprocal benefit. She said I would have to show her WHERE on the Klm website it says that.

I POLITELY pointed out that this is a new agreement and if there were someone she could check with who knows.

She seemed hesitant but agree...I really think the POLITE tone is what got her to be willing to look into it.

She then asked for my record locator. However that did not work for you. I pointed out that it was the exact same number I used to access my reservation via klm.com

She said that her system wasn't taking it...we then tried searching by flight and last name and then by ticket number and she was NOT able to find me in her system....she put me on hold and eventually came back sounding a little flustered and relieved saying she had found it.

Finally she put me on hold again and said she would check with a supervisor....

After another few minutes she came back and FINALLY said "Yes you are able to get an economy comfort seat for free as a Delta Plat...which one would you like"

After getting off the phone with her I logged into klm.com and found I was no assigned the seat I had requested in economy comfort!!!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I think the problem with calling is that it is set up to be done on the web only. The Delta link posted earlier in the thread says that up to 48 hours before flight it must be done at klm.com - no option to do it on delta.com or to call reservations.

The KLM website also does not mention the possibility of calling reservations: http://bit.ly/sMbbSa

It makes sense that they are aiming for reciprocity on this one as both the KLM and Delta product have the same name. However, having the goal and implementing it are obviously two different things.

This is consistent with the experience of the post above of BURJ who got it done through KLM web support - presumably they have access to the services which are available by web.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

Last edited by BigFlyer; Nov 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Can you request specific call centers? I thought you get connected to who ever the computer connects you to...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I think KL first, then was able to maintain them up until 24 hrs prior on DL. However,they never changed on either site, always stayed at what I originally chose.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
KLM is now giving Thanksgiving presents? it is not possible.
My free upgrade was yesterday not Thanksgiving. They pulled a few of us from EC to BE, right before takeoff when there were 3 to a row. They also came to some of us in EC prior to takeoff on the YUL-WAW and told us personally we could move to our own row.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
KLM is now giving Thanksgiving presents? it is not possible.
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
haha, very appropriate for KLM

Don't you mean

Het is niet mogelijk
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by nytracon
I can attest to this as well. Had a client going JFK-AMS on Sunday on a T. He was offered the "never available" BE upgrade for 25k and $300. That's is the first time I have seen this at JFK.

I'll see if it's possible this weekend on YUL-AMS....
I was on a JFK-AMS KLM flight last week and was offered BE for 25K. No cash required.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.