Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Passport Expirations!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Yaatri
You must not travel to countries that require you to fill entry documents, means mostly Europe. When you are filling out arrival document, you are always asked the date of issue and/or date of expiry. These dates are easy to remember, as is your passport no once you fill it out a few times.
I do international flights about twice a year. The last time was May, entered two places where it needed to be completed, but didn't think about it expiring during the year.

I just checked my license and it expires soon, too. I gotta get a better system for keeping track of these things.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I do international flights about twice a year. The last time was May, entered two places where it needed to be completed, but didn't think about it expiring during the year.

I just checked my license and it expires soon, too. I gotta get a better system for keeping track of these things.
Yes you should. At some entry points you can behind by 100 places during the time it takes to read the dates of issue/expiry and passport # from your passport. It also creates a situation when you might, inadvertently leave your passport at the counter where you filled out the document.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:41 am

...It also creates a situation when you might, inadvertently leave your passport at the counter where you filled out the document.
Hate to admit this, but I've already done something similar already. I put my phone, bp, wallet and passport on a bathroom counter to wash my hands just before an international flight. When I got back to the gate, boarding had started, so I reached for my passport and realized it wasn't there. I ran to the information desk (ATL Concourse E), then the ticketing counter, then back to the men's room. The janitor had not seen it, but another janitor heard me. He had the items and had called security to meet him so they could take the items. I tried to hand they guy a twenty, but he refused it.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Very good to know that hfly do you have a link to the text of that treaty?
Perhaps these two documents may answer your questions:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87474.pdf
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by homelyboy
These documents pertain to visa for people who hold passports issued by other countries, and extension of validity of those passports, which is entirely different from what was being discussed, i.e. validity of U.S. passports.
Do you understand the difference?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by CJKatl

In case you don't already know, Atlanta has a passport office now, finally. It's downtown, across the street from Peachtree Center. MrWeezer got his renewed in May just after it opened.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yaatri, I have seen and linked to it several times before, I cannot find it at the moment to be honest as I cannot remember the right search term, you are welcome to contact 747 and he can tell you what/where it is. That being said the docs cited above do list the countries involved and BTW these are bilateral agreements, so that means that if for example the Netherlands is listed, it works the other way around as well.....

Some countries have agreements with the United States whereby their
passports are recognized as valid for return to the country concerned for
a period of six months beyond the expiration date specified in the
passport. The effect of these agreements is to extend the period of
validity of the passport for six months beyond the expiration date
appearing on the face of the document, for the purposes of INA
212(a)(7)(B)(i)(I).
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
In case you don't already know, Atlanta has a passport office now, finally. It's downtown, across the street from Peachtree Center. MrWeezer got his renewed in May just after it opened.
Thank you for the reminder. According to their Web site, http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html, I should renew by mail. Had the OP not posted and I wound up needing a rush, I'd be going there for sure. Guess I'll stick with the Decatur PO.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
These documents pertain to visa for people who hold passports issued by other countries, and extension of validity of those passports, which is entirely different from what was being discussed, i.e. validity of U.S. passports.
Do you understand the difference?
I do, but please note that US recognizes the passport validity on the condition of reciprocity. So this may be relevant to your question if not exact answer.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Thanks

Originally Posted by RICforme
Just learned they hard way that if your passport expires within 3 months of travel to Netherlands (6 months for most of continental europe), Delta will not let you travel!!!

Booked last week on a Sat night flight to Amsterdam from Atlanta, and since passport expired in January, the check in person said I could not travel! Thanks to the quick work of Delta Diamond line, they were able to rebook my wife and I on a flight to Boston, then to London the next day (UK does not have those passport restrictions), and then took the EuroStar train to Brussels, then the Thalys to Amsterdam...I never heard of that rule before last week, but lesson learned...always read the fine print!
Thanks for this. Good to let people know. More important that in many countries in ASIA one needs 6 months. My boss, a few years ago, was in F and turned away from the airport. They sent him home.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where exactly in Asia was that? Assuming that your boss was on a US passport...........

If he had a valid visa for China or India, he would be let in as long as the passport remained valid for his stay. Furthermore I have traveled to Singapore, Indonesia,Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam (same visa thing applies), Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, The Philippines, Brunei, in many cases multiple times on different trips with passports with less than 6 months, or less than 3 months of validity and while in Thailand they might make a small stink with less than three months remaining, and Singapore and Malaysia will be sure to ask when you are leaving and will point out that your passport will soon expire, I heve never been turned away, nor do I know anyone who has been turned away.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kshanew
Likely because if they fly you to country X without validating you have the proper docs, they have to fly you back and are liable for that cost, as well as potential fines.
Is it really the airline's responsibility?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Yes, in many cases.

And whatever one's ostensible legal rights, it is ultimately the airline's decision to permit or deny boarding. One might have the right to refund or other compensation for denied boarding, but if one shows up to board a flight with a passport that is not valid to the satisfaction of the airline and/or its local agents, there is no way to compel the airline to let one board. Likewise, under most circumstances entry to another country (where one is not a national) is entirely at the discretion of a border agent.

I'll have a bit less than 5 months left on my current (well-used and RFID-free) US passport when I travel abroad next month. None of the countries I'm visiting require more than 3 months validity beyond the expected return date. But I'm still going to renew my passport before I leave because while it's all well and good to cite chapter and verse here in a forum, the reality is that I'll be at the mercy of front-line airline agents and passport checkers who might be having a bad day and just may not care all that much about the vagaries of validity requirements and reciprocal treaty agreements.

Being denied boarding on any international segment (or worse, entry at the opposite end) will cost me a lot more than I'm losing by renewing my passport "5 months early."
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sure is. Most countries have laws that require, should an airline transport someone who violates these immigration rules, the airline not only to transport the passenger back out of the country on the next flight but also to pay hefty fines, often in the five figure USD area. So the airlines have strong economic incentives to ensure matters are "in order."
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by terrier
But I'm still going to renew my passport before I leave because while it's all well and good to cite chapter and verse here in a forum, the reality is that I'll be at the mercy of front-line airline agents and passport checkers who might be having a bad day and just may not care all that much about the vagaries of validity requirements and reciprocal treaty agreements.
I work at US CBP border crossings occasionally and they have stories about people not being let into Canada. A recent (last several years) DUI will keep you out but my favorite was at Windsor where car full of scruffy teenagers was turned around because the Canadian border agent didn't like how they looked even though everything else was in order. Do not get border agents mad at you or they can make your life truly miserable and they have near ultimate authority in what they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.