Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by peachfront
I would purchase items I would actually use if they were reasonably priced to my budget. I didn't see anything in that category during the last promo. And life is too short for me to buy more overpriced junk to re-sell...

Yeah, I think the guy who thinks he's going to sell to his school board (unless the president of the school board is his mom) is going to be in for a very sad surprise. That kind of business is locked up by friends and family members of the school board/local politicians. Small town/school board/local politics...thy name is theft, graft, and corruption! Would you even know who to pay off to make your sale? As an honest person, I sure wouldn't...
I don't think you get the point. Like we've said, this is something to look at. I don't think anybody here is stupid enough to assume the schools would buy this without any type of written assurance or contract. In the slim chance that someone actually gets approval for this, they will be doing the school a huge favor by selling the tabs so cheaply (@ $399). I sold 10 of mine for $440 in less than 10 hours so people can definitely do better if they want to wait it out.

Like I said in my previous post, even if the prices drop to $400 on eBay, we are still getting very good value and the CPM on this promotion would trump all other avenues of earning Skymiles.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:47 pm

Any idea how to get this offer if I did not participate last time?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ
Yes, me too...I want to get in on this!!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:23 pm

Anybody can join in on this offer. Once Aaron lets us know the details, we will give you guys the link ASAP. Just make sure your credit cards are ready because there will be some heavy purchasing going on. Also, it would help if you register an account with Skymall now.

Last edited by AirForceFlyer; Nov 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
keep in mind the COST for round 2

Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
Anybody can join in on this offer. Once Aaron lets us know the details, we will give you guys the link ASAP. Just make sure your credit cards are ready because there will be some heavy purchasing going on. Also, it would help if you register an account with Skymall now.
This round will COST MORE! If we all do the TABS again, as some are having a hard time moving them still from round one, EXPECT it will cost a all in loss of $100-150 per unit thus a cost of:

0.006 per mile at a lost of $150 per unit sold

Still IMO a killer deal and a cost of $600 plus tax for a trip over the pond in BIZ at low level miles. You can not buy a coach ticket for much less. That IMO is why this is a great deal!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So you van stack the bonuses or is it 25k max per sky miles member?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So you van stack the bonuses or is it 25k max per sky miles member?
That would be my question as well!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:52 pm

Like I've said in previous posts, I placed 10 orders and got 250k total bonus miles in ONE account because of this. In theory, you can place as many orders as your credit cards can handle.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
This round will COST MORE! If we all do the TABS again, as some are having a hard time moving them still from round one, EXPECT it will cost a all in loss of $100-150 per unit thus a cost of:

0.006 per mile at a lost of $150 per unit sold

Still IMO a killer deal and a cost of $600 plus tax for a trip over the pond in BIZ at low level miles. You can not buy a coach ticket for much less. That IMO is why this is a great deal!
I think the cost will be more than $150 this time around. With the last promotion, my total out of pocket for each unit was already around $150. This is with eBay fees, paypal fees, shipping and price match credit.

I would imagine that this time around, every order would cost around $200. With the further saturation of Galaxy tabs, the prices will go down more. Another factor will be the release of different tablets/pads from other manufacturers.

I haven't researched extensively yet but is there still a valid price match for the Galaxy tabs?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:34 am

AirForceFlyer I think you're right. Searching eBay I see that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is now selling for $350-$400 from reputable sellers (I searched completed listings that actually sold) with a big cluster around $385-$395. When we did this just 2 months ago they were selling for $460 or so. So that's a pretty steep decline, I think the reason is the introduction of the Galaxy Tab 7 which has better specs and the Amazon Fire tablet.

The Canon Rebel T3 is also priced high now, it's $599 on Skymall but $499 on Amazon.

This is tough because what you really want is some kind of item where MSRP is tightly regulated, like Apple products, so basically everywhere is offering the same price. That's why the Galaxy Tab worked well last time around. It still is selling both online and at brick and mortar stores for $499 (Amazon, Staples, Target etc.) but it seems on eBay the value has gone way down.

I tried going through and finding new electronics that won't be discounted elsewhere but the best thing I noticed is the Apogee Jam for $99 which is a guitar hookup for the iPad that just came out 2 weeks ago, so it's $99 everywhere. Not sure if you could move them on eBay though for $90 but it's an idea.

Here's the link for new arrivals:

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/dept.htm?c=102195442

It's a pity the Galaxy Tab 7 is not on there since I would expect its resale value will be much closer to MSRP.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:36 am

@drbobguy - I've also checked the new arrivals section and I don't see anything that would be worth reselling.

For guys who are looking for info regarding this promotion, I can give you a quick breakdown of what you can expect.

1. Buy Galaxy Tab (or other resellable item) from Skymall for $500. With taxes and shipping, it is going to come out to $550-$570.
2. Resell it for $380-400 on eBay. Shipping will be paid for by the buyer unless you offer free shipping.
3. After around $35 of eBay and paypal fees, you get about $350.
4. Apply price match guarantees if applicable.
5. Wait for your Skymiles to post.

From my example, the out of pocket for each Galaxy Tab is $200-$220. Unless we can find a pricematch gurantee that is around $50, this round will definitely be more expensive than last. This is just an estimate of the ending price. By the time we get our orders, it is a likely possiblity that the prices would've gone down a lot more.

This is why I'm really weighing my options on this next promotion. Since I'm still sitting on the miles earned from the last one (although I'm currently planning a trip to redeem), I don't really have an immediate need for the Skymiles. Also, the CPM will be much higher this time.

Decisions, decisions.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:45 am

I think it will be EXTREMELY difficult to move any type of electronics on ebay this time around. For one thing, like everyone is saying, the Tabs have saturated ebay. For another, most people that are shopping for something like a Galaxy tab on ebay are going to be very cautious right now because no one really knows what is going to happen after the Fire drops and Black Friday. That sort of thing would generally apply across the board, though I think tablets are going to be THE item for black friday this year.
Something for people to keep in mind too, as far as figuring cost towards redemption. If you have Gold status or higher, you are going to be missing out on your bonus rdms that you could have earned if you just payed for the ticket, plus the mqms. So, make sure you figure that in if your margin does end up creeping close to $250 or more.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:56 am

Yeah it seems likely the cpm is going to be close to 1cpm (if not equal to). Keep in mind the Delta transfer miles promo that was going on recently was effectively 1.1cpm I believe, without having to sell items on eBay and do the legwork that this promo requires.

Last time I think I came out to 0.45cpm or so, which for me is on par with the US Grand Slam in terms of cost but without the huge number of activities required, so it was actually a better deal.

Let's keep our eyes peeled for new additions to skymall this week, and maybe there are some other creative items. I noticed they have the walking stick of Lucius Malfoy which I can't find online for less than MSRP ($95) so that might be option. If not that, then something in the "collectibles" category.

If my projected costs are above 0.7cpm or so I'm gonna sit this one out. It's a shame because given the right conditions this could be an amazing deal: (a) you live in a state with no sales tax (b) there's a new electronics gadget that can't be bought for lower than MSRP elsewhere and (c) you have a channel to sell them that doesn't have fees.

I got 100k last time but if someone could meet (a), (b), and (c) above I'm sure you could clear several million miles for around 0.2cpm.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Gold
Thanks to everyone for providing the details on how you've used this promo to gain miles. I really appreciate the candor and analysis that you provide. We'll be watching to see if we can do some serious Christmas shopping using this approach, obviously purchasing items that we would have purchased anyway.

In the meantime, can someone clarify what you mean by price matching? By whom?

Thanks,
Trish
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by patriciamartin1954
In the meantime, can someone clarify what you mean by price matching? By whom?
Skymall has a policy to price match other retailers on the items they sold. We flyertalkers were originally unsure if the price match would invalidate the skymiles offer because the terms of the offer are that it cannot be combined with any other offers/coupons (like the free shipping coupon).

After contacting Aaron (a helpful Skymall employee) he said that the price match would not invalidate the 25000 skymiles offer, so many here used a sams club retail ad of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that was cheaper than MSRP to get about $25 off (if I remember correctly). This amount was refunded to your credit card sometime after purchase (they manually did the refunds). A few members have had problems getting the refunds.

I think the Skymall price match only applies to brick and mortar stores, not internet-only outlets.

Also note many used the free shipping code and still got the miles, but that's against the T&C of the offer so who knows if it would work again. Shipping for a $500 order I believe is $22 (they charge based on the value of the order, not weight).

All in all Skymall has been very true to their word and responsive in terms of answering our questions. If you follow the T&C you will definitely get your miles, but it's a little hard to still get good value considering Skymall's prices and the fact that you have to pay $20 in shipping plus tax per order. So you're paying a $60 premium over Amazon for instance even if they charge the same for the product (and usually the Skymall price is higher).

Other strategies mentioned were "returning" the items to Sams or elsewhere for cash or store credit (unethical) or using Craigslist whereby you can avoid eBay's 10% fees but the rate of scamming is higher and you have to meet the buyer face to face.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.