FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL taking over SEA-CDG in March (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1276483-dl-taking-over-sea-cdg-march.html)

discstickers Nov 4, 2011 8:25 pm

DL taking over SEA-CDG in March

As reported on a.net

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5297982/

Should make some AS MVPs happy.

DL2SXM Nov 4, 2011 8:42 pm

this is great news. I can now plan some outrageous mileage runs to Europe through the west coast on DL metal!

Drile Nov 4, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm all for continued DL expansion of operations at SEA.

Although, with that said, this is another route where it is now harder to use a SWU. :td:

DL2SXM Nov 4, 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Drile (Post 17394708)

Although, with that said, this is another route where it is now harder to use a SWU. :td:

well, considering DL has never flown sea to cdg on their own metal, i dont see how you can validate your statement.

Drile Nov 4, 2011 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu (Post 17394735)
well, considering DL has never flown sea to cdg on their own metal, i dont see how you can validate your statement.

It is much easier to use DL SWUs on AF than on DL. Not sure I understand your statement.

United757 Nov 4, 2011 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu (Post 17394735)

Um, AF SWU upgrades?

beckoa Nov 4, 2011 11:56 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Interesting... Although I've heard horror stories about connecting in CDG. What type of A/C is DL running?

pbarnette Nov 5, 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Drile (Post 17394800)
It is much easier to use DL SWUs on AF than on DL. Not sure I understand your statement.

I'm not sure easier is the right word. Perhaps cheaper, but DL SWUs are incredibly easy to use - awesome upgrade availability is precisely why I stay with DL.

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 17395194)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Interesting... Although I've heard horror stories about connecting in CDG. What type of A/C is DL running?

Connecting in CDG is not nearly as bad as the horror stories make it out to be. They have actually made a lot of improvements and the experience (at least for elites and premium cabin passengers) is not that bad. The priority security lines work well, the lounges are numerous and uncrowded, and the duty free shops are good. The dining options are abysmal, but the same is true of AMS and doubly true of FRA. CDG is not as nice as LHR T5, and still a step behind AMS (though AMS slips in my estimation every time I fly through there), but it is better than given credit for.

jiburi Nov 5, 2011 3:39 am

Despite the perceived increased DL service to Europe from SEA, it's still only replacing AF. We may then see it disappear later or see less frequency to either CDG and/or AMS.

I'm more afraid DL might discontinue its 2nd seasonal (Summer) AMS flight.

Sad part of it was that AF was scheduled to change its airframe to 343...... Well seeing Delta doesn't have 343, so much for that....

Jiburi

PS- I still don't see it in the schedules for summer 2012 however....

james318 Nov 5, 2011 8:14 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 17395319)
I'm not sure easier is the right word. Perhaps cheaper, but DL SWUs are incredibly easy to use - awesome upgrade availability is precisely why I stay with DL.

I can't believe you said that with a straight face.

cfischer Nov 5, 2011 8:20 am

Originally Posted by james318 (Post 17396183)
I can't believe you said that with a straight face.

W --> O on AF is actually not bad at all. YBM --> Z at the airport is working as well. Of course MBYW is an issue but from there I have been rather lucky getting the UG

james318 Nov 5, 2011 8:30 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 17396204)
W --> O on AF is actually not bad at all. YBM --> Z at the airport is working as well. Of course MBYW is an issue but from there I have been rather lucky getting the UG

I would never call using a SWU on Delta "easy".

Easy is booking a fare, and upgrading if available. Not easy is making sure I book a specific fare class, but only dropping that chunk of change instead of buying any fare class if upgrade space is available, because who knows what will happen.

Seems the best for Delta, though, and they need to stay afloat somehow.

discstickers Nov 5, 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 17395194)

Rumor is a reconfigured 767

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 17395522)
Despite the perceived increased DL service to Europe from SEA, it's still only replacing AF. We may then see it disappear later or see less frequency to either CDG and/or AMS.

I'm more afraid DL might discontinue its 2nd seasonal (Summer) AMS flight.

Sad part of it was that AF was scheduled to change its airframe to 343...... Well seeing Delta doesn't have 343, so much for that....

Jiburi

PS- I still don't see it in the schedules for summer 2012 however....

The new EK DXB-SEA is more likely to cause the second AMS frequency to be dropped than this change. It'll actually be a decrease in SEA-CDG capacity.

Gnopps Nov 5, 2011 1:53 pm

As a persistent economy class flyer, this is bad news for me. With more comfortable seats, better food, avod and free alcohol AF economy is much better than DL.

andymo99 Nov 5, 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Drile (Post 17394708)

Exactly right.

As someone who took SEA-CDG-SEA roughly quarterly, I am very disappointed to see this go to DL metal. It was an indeed an easy SWU upgrade from a Premium Economy fare. And often, Prem Eco was the cheapest econ fare, which was great for those with tight corporate travel policies.

This situation made AF on SEA-CDG my airline of choice TATL.

As a DL DM in SEA, I am very sorry to see this change. I would have been far happier to see AMS convert to KL metal.

M fares on DL metal are awful. This will definitely affect my buying habits for TATL once it is effective.