Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where to sit on the 767-400 (for couples)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hi folks,

My companion and I have been given an exciting opportunity, thanks to a schedule change, to fly the 767-400 on a domestic hop in First Class.
This will be my companion's first time in first class, so what a way to introduce them to it!

Having never been on the 767-400, I tried to do some digging on what seats are good for couples, and a lot of people pointed out the even row middle seats (companion wants to sit close together versus in the separate "suites" if you will).

I wanted us to seat in 4B and 4C, but it was taken, so we got 5B, 5C. Only other open middle seat pairings beside the window seats are 1B, 1C & 8B, 8C.
I am so obsessively worried that we should have even row seats (4B, 4C) because apparently they are less in the aisle than the odd number rows (5B, 5C), but I am not sure what the ground truth is. Not that we have much option to change anyway.

Are 5B, 5C good seats or are they more "in the aisle" than even rowed seats like 4B, 4C? Just want to make sure she has a cool First, First Class experience. And, right as I was making this post, 2B & 2C got snatched.

Thoughts on couples that have flown the 767-400 and that can provide either reassurance that 5B, 5C are good seats or the "keep trying to see if even middle seats open up"? i don't know what the big diff is.

Thanks for your time and appeasing my ignorance.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
1B and 1C will have larger foot wells.

For all B/C pairs in the center, one seat will be have the desk/tray/console area between the seat and the aisle (more space between the actual seat and the aisle) and one seat will be right on the aisle. Which seat is which depends on the row but either way one of you would have the seat that provides a little more space between you and the aisle and the other will be right on the aisle.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'm a 1B/C person. As ATOBTTR pointed out the footwells are larger. You also have an area between the seat and the bulkhead which serves as extra shelf space during flight (not takeoff or landing). And then, because the lavs are at the back of F, you have minimal foot traffic, especially now when there's no frequent service from the galley. In the past, some have complained about noise from the galley but I've never experienced it.

This is based on you're getting a 74D which is the 3 Class configuration. I haven't flown the 4 Class 764 which has the Suites but except for the differences with the suites for communications with your companion, there is a lav in the front and one at the back of the section so you might experience more foot traffic.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Apr 7, 2021 at 7:31 pm
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
1B and 1C will have larger foot wells.

For all B/C pairs in the center, one seat will be have the desk/tray/console area between the seat and the aisle (more space between the actual seat and the aisle) and one seat will be right on the aisle. Which seat is which depends on the row but either way one of you would have the seat that provides a little more space between you and the aisle and the other will be right on the aisle.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'm a 1B/C person. As ATOBTTR pointed out the footwells are larger. You also have an area between the seat and the bulkhead which serves as extra shelf space during flight (not takeoff or landing). And then, because the lavs are at the back of F, you have minimal foot traffic, especially now when there's no frequent service from the galley. In the past, some have complained about noise from the galley but I've never experienced it.

This is based on you're getting a 74D which is the 3 Class configuration. I haven't flown the 4 Class 764 which has the Suites but except for the differences with the suites for communications with your companion, there is a lav in the front and one at the back of the section so you might experience more foot traffic.
The configuration is this version (not sure it is the 74D), which also means the Lav is only at the back, not in front. Just the galley. I wish I had pictures of 1B,1C. I see pictures of every other seats from the passenger POV.
I think my only reservation (no pun intended) would be the galley lights / walking through congestion, but also I would feel less self-concious about reclining my seat and also feel more privacy with my companion. Are the TV's just on the wall or how does that work? Know of any pics out there? My search has come up with zilch.

Last edited by CaptainBiscoff; Apr 7, 2021 at 7:51 pm
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
The configuration is this version (not sure it is the 74D), which also means the Lav is only at the back, not in front. Just the galley. I wish I had pictures of 1B,1C. I see pictures of every other seats from the passenger POV.
I think my only reservation (no pun intended) would be the galley lights / walking through congestion, but also I would feel less self-concious about reclining my seat and also feel more privacy with my companion. Are the TV's just on the wall or how does that work? Know of any pics out there? My search has come up with zilch.
Your link is to a 4 Class seat map which has a lav in the front and suites for each seat.

Look at the Delta seat selection for your booked flight. If there are 40 seats i 10 rows, you're on a 76D. If there are 34 seats in 9 rows you're on a 764 which also has a Premium Select section betweed D1 and C+.

If you're on the 76D, here's an article, with pictures https://onemileatatime.com/delta-bus...ss-767-review/

You won't be getting bedding or an amenity kit on a domestic, non D1 flight, just regular F accommodations. Seats are all the same except the items I noted in my 1st post.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Your link is to a 4 Class seat map which has a lav in the front and suites for each seat.

Look at the Delta seat selection for your booked flight. If there are 40 seats i 10 rows, you're on a 76D. If there are 34 seats in 9 rows you're on a 764 which also has a Premium Select section betweed D1 and C+.

If you're on the 76D, here's an article, with pictures https://onemileatatime.com/delta-bus...ss-767-review/

You won't be getting bedding or an amenity kit on a domestic, non D1 flight, just regular F accommodations. Seats are all the same except the items I noted in my 1st post.
Ah. We are on the 764.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
Ah. We are on the 764.
Again, I have no first hand experience.

There's this FT Thread 767-400 764 Delta One Suites & Premium Select Refurb Status and Trip Reports

There's a video tour at
The beginning and end show the Suites. If you do a B/C combo, the divider between the seats lowers for communication.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Again, I have no first hand experience.

There's this FT Thread 767-400 764 Delta One Suites & Premium Select Refurb Status and Trip Reports

There's a video tour at https://youtu.be/Sy73VB3V1kY The beginning and end show the Suites. If you do a B/C combo, the divider between the seats lowers for communication.
Thanks again for sharing this. It does give a good view of the bulkhead seat at the end. After watching it and reading this, it seems like we can’t go wrong in keeping row 5 or moving to row 1 (besides the proximity to the galley, but certainly a benefit of additional privacy).
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:08 am

Have a fun experience.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Writing this from 1B while +1 is sitting next to me in 1C. The B/C seats are best if you want any sort of interaction during flight. We did 5D and 6D on our outbound and it’s fine as long as you are ok with basically flying solo with the odd interactions like passing the snack boxes to each other to try and salvage something edible out of the Market and Bistro offerings. There’s no way a window/aisle pairing is going to work well, due to the staggered seat alignment in each row.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Writing this from 1B while +1 is sitting next to me in 1C. The B/C seats are best if you want any sort of interaction during flight. We did 5D and 6D on our outbound and it’s fine as long as you are ok with basically flying solo with the odd interactions like passing the snack boxes to each other to try and salvage something edible out of the Market and Bistro offerings. There’s no way a window/aisle pairing is going to work well, due to the staggered seat alignment in each row.
Thanks for the update! We flew recently on 5B/5C, and it was great for interaction. As someone who is used to the narrow-bodies and who has only flown a wide-body a few times, I am ruined for domestic first class flying. We were both in awe of the accommodations ("suites"). We may not fly again until 2022, and it is sad to see the prices you have to fly to fly these suites internationally. We really lucked out on my fare / compaion pass. Amazing plane / experience for anyone that can afford to fly the Delta One suites on the 764 or newer widebodies (either while they are domestic or international). I will miss it!
Maybe one day again I will be able to be privileged / spoiled in the suites with my SO!
HiAperture likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:53 pm

Anything change recently?

We're flying 767-400 with rows 1-9 in D1. 1BC is taken, is there any meaningful difference between the rest for a couple who likes to communicate? Currently in 3BC for no real reason.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
If you can't get row 1, then middle of the cabin is best for distance from galley and bathrooms. Honestly my wife and I like to talk but we like windows more, so we just chat on whatsapp while in our window seat
richarddd likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by AntimonyER
If you can't get row 1, then middle of the cabin is best for distance from galley and bathrooms. Honestly my wife and I like to talk but we like windows more, so we just chat on whatsapp while in our window seat
I never remember - in what order do they take food orders and serve?

Chatting on whatsapp might be easier than talking.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by richarddd
I never remember - in what order do they take food orders and serve?

Chatting on whatsapp might be easier than talking.
For Delta One they usually just go front to back.
richarddd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.