Question about flying on Christmas day

Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
If you are flying on Christmas Eve, I would be sure to send a note to Santa and let him know your flight number and the approximate location of where to find you.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
A nice thing to do, which I did flying DTW-FLL on Christmas Day 2 years ago, is to give the GAs, FAs & pilots $5 Starbucks gifts cards. They all were really appreciative & it gave me good karma. I chose the gift cards because Starbucks is in most airports & I figured they would be wary of eating any food items (even if they were wrapped/sealed).
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
I've been flying on Christmas Day for the past decade in order to reach my parents on the opposite side of the country before the day ends. Delta has always made flying on that day a joyful experience, and each year I find the airports more and more crowded. What I've truly noticed is more unaccompanied minors flying to, in my estimation, the home of their other parent.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:50 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Christmas morning is typically busier than one might think for two reasons:
1) People who couldn't fly out earlier since they have to work Christmas eve (retail industry)
2) Bargain-hunters, typically much cheaper than the days prior
3) Leisure / vacation trips (e.g. NYC - Florida, Ski markets, etc.)
LOL.

Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:23 am

I used to do this a lot.

Watch those flights. This is the ONE time of the year when I have SIGNIFICANT schedule changes. Basically it appears then "consolidate based on bookings"
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Have flown EWR-LIS on Christmas Eve and MAD-ATL on Thanksgiving Day.

EWR was a zoo and the flight was full. LIS (since I arrived on Christmas Day) was dead. MAD was regular, since it was just a normal day in Spain that day, although the plane was maybe half-full. ATL was lighter than normal but still busy, although I was able to do the kettle equivalent of SDC for free (!) for an earlier flight to CLT. On the flight to CLT, I was talking to a a couple who were flying back from FCO, and they said that their flight was packed.

So all in all, YMMV.

PS: I'll let you know how customs and TSA in ATL are on the Sunday after Thanksgiving in a few weeks. Oh, did I mention that I have a 1:25 connection and MCT is 1:30?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.