Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 12, 11, 5:14 pm   #1

Luggage Fees if multiple airlines

Probably already answered, but can't find post.

One of the members of our party is flying on Delta out of Detroit, connecting to an American flight in LAX. Same ticket purchase.

Two questions:
  • I assume Delta can check-through to American
  • Do you pay Delta just their normal luggage fee to do this? Or do you have to pay American as well, or some other combo?

Thanks!
sea_flyer_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 11, 6:48 pm   #2

Programs: Delta KM/PM + SC (lapsed), UA/CO, Hilton, Marriott
Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_flyer View Post
Probably already answered, but can't find post.

One of the members of our party is flying on Delta out of Detroit, connecting to an American flight in LAX. Same ticket purchase.

Two questions:
  • I assume Delta can check-through to American
  • Do you pay Delta just their normal luggage fee to do this? Or do you have to pay American as well, or some other combo?

Thanks!
Assuming it's an American Eagle flight, checked through, one fee.
AKC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:19 pm   #3

Sorry - should have been more clear. Talking about AA, not American Eagle, for second flight (AA is one of the few carriers who go to LIH directly).
Old Oct 13, 11, 5:36 pm   #4

Programs: Delta KM/PM + SC (lapsed), UA/CO, Hilton, Marriott
why not DL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_flyer View Post
Sorry - should have been more clear. Talking about AA, not American Eagle, for second flight (AA is one of the few carriers who go to LIH directly).
So does DL. Given that, probably two fees .
AKC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 11, 5:41 pm   #5
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
You should be able to check your bags through no problem. However, you might need to give AA your bag numbers (the sticker from your bag tags that DL will give you) and AA might make you pay then. I've only done this to/from international flights so bag charges didn't apply then.
bpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 11, 6:15 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Delta and AA (and American Eagle, too) have an interline baggage agreement. The fees and allowances of the carrier at check in apply between origin and destination. (No, the traveler won't need to retrieve lugagge at LAX and pay more fees to AA.)
3Cforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 11, 10:36 am   #7

To followup, there was only one charge each way, and the bags made it through via interline agreement.

So having split airlines didn't cause any problems. Of course, the fact that LAX makes you go through security again to get from the DL gates to AA gates is an issue, but oh well.

(and yes, DL also goes into LIH from LAX. Unfortunately, they not only wanted $800 more for DTW->LIH on DL alone (via LAX) than DTW->LAX->LIH via DL+AA, but for the days we needed, they only had 16-hour layovers available if we went all DL.)
Old Oct 25, 11, 1:39 pm   #8

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Delta and AA (and American Eagle, too) have an interline baggage agreement. The fees and allowances of the carrier at check in apply between origin and destination. (No, the traveler won't need to retrieve lugagge at LAX and pay more fees to AA.)
Generally true, but not always.

Flying HSV-FAI in FC, Delta told me they would collect a 3rd bag fee if I checked 3 bags as AS only allows two free bags for FC passengers. That was checking in on Delta, connecting to AS in Seattle.

I found that mind boggling as my experience has always been what you describe above. And I have absolutely no doubt as to whether the collected fee would be deposited in Atlanta or forwarded to AS.

David
Old Oct 25, 11, 2:11 pm   #9
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Generally true, but not always.

Flying HSV-FAI in FC, Delta told me they would collect a 3rd bag fee if I checked 3 bags as AS only allows two free bags for FC passengers. That was checking in on Delta, connecting to AS in Seattle.

I found that mind boggling as my experience has always been what you describe above. And I have absolutely no doubt as to whether the collected fee would be deposited in Atlanta or forwarded to AS.

David
That would prompt me to write to DL for clarification. Everything I have read says that your fees are based on the fees for the airline with which you first check in. I seriously think the ticketing agent was mistaken, but without something in writing from DL, you are at their mercy (it is hard to "hang up and call again" when you only have 1 or 2 agents in HSV). Better might be to see what the kiosk says when one tries to check in at the kiosk.
Old Oct 27, 11, 11:50 am   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
That would prompt me to write to DL for clarification. Everything I have read says that your fees are based on the fees for the airline with which you first check in. I seriously think the ticketing agent was mistaken, but without something in writing from DL, you are at their mercy (it is hard to "hang up and call again" when you only have 1 or 2 agents in HSV). Better might be to see what the kiosk says when one tries to check in at the kiosk.
Last trip, the kiosk in HSV only offered options up to 2 bags. No option to go past 2.

I thought that was odd, so I did write to Delta for clarification. I was told that they would collect a bag fee if I checked more than two because AS only allows two free bags in FC. This was reiterated several times in follow-up e-mails.

I am dumbfounded, since as you note, this has not been the standard. I will be checking in again on Sunday to go to FAI, and I will see what happens this time. There will be a minor difference this time in that my SEA-FAI leg is on AS ticket stock this time, last time it was a Delta code share.

I started a thread on this a couple of weeks back, but it didn't garner much interest. I'm surprised it didn't get folded into the most minor complaint thread, but it didn't even merit that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tegration.html

David
Old Oct 27, 11, 2:27 pm   #11
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
I will be checking in again on Sunday to go to FAI, and I will see what happens this time. There will be a minor difference this time in that my SEA-FAI leg is on AS ticket stock this time, last time it was a Delta code share.
Whose ticket stock the tickets are issued on should be irrelevant and that is different than codeshare agreements that you mentioned. With codeshares (nothing to do with ticket stock, one or two tickets, etc) you always follow the rules of the operating carrier of the first flight you check in with.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday. Let us know.
Old Nov 2, 11, 11:17 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Whose ticket stock the tickets are issued on should be irrelevant and that is different than codeshare agreements that you mentioned. With codeshares (nothing to do with ticket stock, one or two tickets, etc) you always follow the rules of the operating carrier of the first flight you check in with.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday. Let us know.
Once again, the kiosk only gave me the option for up to two bags.

David