Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Delta to Europe?

Can this be true? Viz. that on Delta it's the same number of miles to fly roundtrip to Europe as to fly one-way?? Every other airline I've looked at it's half the miles for one-way, i.e. one can fly back on another airline or whatever. I have miles on Delta and don't seem to be able to use them ever. What am I not "getting"? Or is Delta skymiles program simply much more restricted than other airlines.
Thanks.
Btw, does anyone have an opinion on which airline would be best for business class Phila-Venice and back from Nice?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pease
Can this be true? Viz. that on Delta it's the same number of miles to fly roundtrip to Europe as to fly one-way?? Every other airline I've looked at it's half the miles for one-way, i.e. one can fly back on another airline or whatever. I have miles on Delta and don't seem to be able to use them ever. What am I not "getting"? Or is Delta skymiles program simply much more restricted than other airlines.
Thanks.
Btw, does anyone have an opinion on which airline would be best for business class Phila-Venice and back from Nice?
Delta does not do one-way awards for half the miles.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DaChief
Delta does not do one-way awards for half the miles.
This. And it applies to all award travel, not just int'l.

UA and AA allow one-way travel at the one-way price.
DL and US don't.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:32 pm
mpp

If you have enough miles for a roundtrip you can use it for the a trip that is PHL-VCE and NCE-PHL as Delta does allow open jaw ticketing. You need to book using multi-city awards. It's best to look for the one-ways separately to find seats at low redemption value and then book it together in multi-city; search by schedule and choose the flights you found when searching one-way awards. If you choose the same flights it should remain at low redemption.

Here is a good link to a description of maximizing your value from skymiles using the open-jaw and stopovers that Delta allows.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who've responded. Alas, we don't have miles on any one airline for roundtrip. But we've got more than enough on several airlines for a one-way. I'll try to find something from UA or AA. (Would one or the other be better, I wonder?)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pease
I'll try to find something from UA or AA. (Would one or the other be better, I wonder?)
If I recall correctly, AA has some off-peak USA-Europe one-ways for 20K miles. If the date range works and you can find award availability (and can avoid connecting to BA in London, and their fuel surcharges) it's a good deal.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Trip will be end of July-mid August 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.