Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Delta, Codeshare with Virgin Atlanta, operated by AerLingus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

So... I have a flight booked as a Delta Flight Number, Code Share with Virgin Atlantic, Operated by Aer Lingus. This is from EDI to LHR before boarding LHR-ATL on Delta metal.

My question is: since Aer Lingus really has no relationship with Delta, can we:

A. Check our bags all the way through to home.

B. Get good seats on the Aer Lingus flight.

C. Get seats without having to pay for them? (I am Gold, father is Diamond)

D. Check bags without paying for them? (See why in C above)

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Before I get any comments, MODS can you fix the title... supposed to be "Virgin Atlantic", obviously. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT

My question is: since Aer Lingus really has no relationship with Delta, can we:
It's not Aer Lingus, it's VS. EI is simply providing a wet lease.

A. Check our bags all the way through to home.
Yes, no problem. Definitely easier if you have a single PNR covering EDI-ATL, but I've had them check my bags through on separate PNRs connecting in LHR.

B. Get good seats on the Aer Lingus flight.
No advance seat assignments, but the plane will only be about 25% full so there are plenty of good seats for everyone.

C. Get seats without having to pay for them? (I am Gold, father is Diamond)
See above.

D. Check bags without paying for them? (See why in C above)
Yes, no charge for baggage assuming a single PNR.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
It's not Aer Lingus, it's VS. EI is simply providing a wet lease.
Thanks so much for all your great answers... but on this first one: does that mean it's an Aer Lingus plane that is flown and operated by Virgin Atlantic? The plane still has the Aer Lingus paint job, but we go to the Virgin Atlantic check-in counter? So, we just ignore what the plane actually looks like?

And yes, this leg is part of a single itinerary that is EDI-LHR/LHR-ATL. We each have our own itineraries because my father continues to another destination after ATL, but the EDI-LHR leg is part of the same trip to ATL. So, since we're both "Skyteam Elite Plus", we can check for free, right?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Thanks so much for all your great answers... but on this first one: does that mean it's an Aer Lingus plane that is flown and operated by Virgin Atlantic? The plane still has the Aer Lingus paint job, but we go to the Virgin Atlantic check-in counter? So, we just ignore what the plane actually looks like?

And yes, this leg is part of a single itinerary that is EDI-LHR/LHR-ATL. We each have our own itineraries because my father continues to another destination after ATL, but the EDI-LHR leg is part of the same trip to ATL. So, since we're both "Skyteam Elite Plus", we can check for free, right?
It's an Aer Lingus aircraft and crew, but the plane is painted in VS colors and the crew wears VS uniforms, and you'll check in with VS at EDI. Just forget the EI stuff...it doesn't materially affect your trip.

You'll arrive into T2 at LHR. When you deplane, look for the airside Little Red bus that will take you direct to T3 for your ATL flight (you can also go via the LHR flight connection center, but the advantage of the VS bus is you don't have to reclear security in T3).

Little Red doesn't charge for the first piece of checked baggage. Not sure if STE+ gets you additional baggage benefits (I've never checked more than a single bag).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The LHR-EDI flight is operated by Aer Lingus but flies under VS's colors as "Little Red". As I remember they fly in and out of LHR's T1. They offer through baggage to EDI. I've been on EDI-LHR. The experience was fine (although they wouldn't let me use the ServisAir lounge in EDI).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I love the term Virgin Atlanta. Given DL's partnerships with both VA and VS, why not just call them both Virgin Atlanta?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.