Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any idea for increased revenue for Delta...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Since Delta does not allow people submitting ideas for improvement, I thought since this forum is probably monitored by some DL folks, I should share this idea here. Not sure if this has already come up or thought of, so please pardon if this was already voted down by DL.

For those of us not lucky enough to get upgrades on a regular basis and are stuck with the basic coke and cookie combo in the back but would like to buy some food and beverages, would it not make sense that Delta operates kiosks by the gate area that cell food and beverage tickets? This way, it is highly likely that someone like me who is flying in a 2-3 hour flight would buy a few of those for the flights. They can even sell them for $1 less than what it would cost in the flight itself. Honestly, I have no idea why it would not bring in a decent revenue for them. Less time for FAs for running CCs in midflight and less hassle trying to find CC and deciding what you want. The kiosks can also take cash and credit and could be portable so they can move these around in smaller terminals.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

And of course the title was supposed to say "An" not "any"... my bad!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta, Marriot, Starwood, American, United
http://www.facebook.com/delta?sk=app_202981673048835

This.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can be a mistake for a company to attempt to offer goods and services that are far fro their core business. DL is not a fast food or restaurant company. They generally outsource the catering of food and beverages on flights.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

At the same time, if the said goods and services are extremely profitable, why not look in to getting involved in that. Essentially, they are not getting involved in the business of selling food, all they are doing is selling tickets to purchase the food on the flight thus reducing the hassle for the FA in the flight and adding some more revenue.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
I don't really see where this would take off (). I mean, it's already bad enough with people bringing all kinds of smelly food (principally in ATL) - chicken wings, Mc Donald's, chinese, etc....barf!

Also, there are kiosks selling drinks and snacks in the concourses. Are you suggesting DL undercuts those prices and puts them all out of business?

Frankly, I think the boarding areas are cluttered enough. People already have access to what they want/need, and DL probably doesn't see this as generating substantial revenue.

Oh and finally, I don't think the FAs need less hassle/work. The CC should have improved efficiency vs. getting change for customers.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Start charging for carry on bags that dont fit into the checker.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It can be a mistake for a company to attempt to offer goods and services that are far fro their core business. DL is not a fast food or restaurant company. They generally outsource the catering of food and beverages on flights.
And we've all read about (or experienced) catering goofs. If a passenger has "prepaid" for a snack and it is then not available, the FAs will have more problems than running CCs in midflight.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I think this is a great idea; sometimes you don't have time to stop and grab something, especially if you wait 15 minutes for a ramp crew to park you, another 5 minutes for a jetway driver, and another 15 for your pink tags (yes ATL I am talking about YOU).

But there is one more really good reason - it is hard to find the HAM SANDWICH is airports.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
I have an idea for increased revenue. Stop making changes to the FF program that make people want to jump ship. Stop devaluing skymiles. If delta does those things, revenue will increase magically!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shouldn't DL then outsource the flying part to someone else?

And instead focus on its core business of selling SlyMiles to AmEx (a.k.a. printing money out of thin air, putting up real competition to the US Fed in that department)... while Glenn Hauenstein sits on ham sandwiches, that are later sold to pax* (secondary core business) on the third-party outsourced "Delta" flights, only available if you pay using DL AmEx of course.

*think South Park "@ss Burgers" episode, http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...review-my-buns
now just substitute Glenn Hauenstein for Eric Cartman, and a ham sandwich for a burger.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Start K+'ing the upgrades. The environment has changed drastically from when they tried it before. There is no place for the disgruntled to go en masse. Use the increased revenue to pad the bottom line and improve the F cabin.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
+1

Important to note... not the bin... the checker. It's possible to have an appropriately sized carry-on not fit the bins in an RJ.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: skymiles
Originally Posted by kaiserani
At the same time, if the said goods and services are extremely profitable, why not look in to getting involved in that. Essentially, they are not getting involved in the business of selling food, all they are doing is selling tickets to purchase the food on the flight thus reducing the hassle for the FA in the flight and adding some more revenue.
There are many food vendors in the airports.It would create conflict between the airport admins and the vendors in the food courts that pay very,very expensive rent.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Amex Plat, DL Amex Res, HHonors Gold, Choice Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Except for DM, PM and GM folks......I agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.