Search

When planes get hot....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
When planes get hot....

Dear Delta people who read this.... here is my opinion...

1) When it is hot and you know it is hot.... contact the cockpit and let them know.

2) Let the PAX know you know.... suggest opening up the vents and closing the windows.

3) Let them know that the cockpit is doing all it can to keep the PAX cool. It they are not, they damn well need to start doing so.

4) If there ever was a time to make sure FC gets their pre flights, it is when it is hot.

5) Maybe give out water for the small seat riders... or give them cake or something...

I have found that equipment and outside temps are not the only factors in the temp of the cabin. Sometimes you have more air pushing out the vents than other times and the temp of the HVAC varies as well.

This is a core aspect of what airlines should do to provide a service to PAX. Some of the planes I have been on this year have been nothing short of nasty. Some of us have to go directly to meetings from these flights Delta.... Always makes a great impression walking in with a soaked shirt and smelling like onion soup and feet that you entire body was immersed in for 30 minutes whilst on the ground... and the crew not acting like it is happening does not make it go away.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
When you search for flights there should have an icon like this

when the plane will be chilled appropriately.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Always makes a great impression walking in with a soaked shirt and smelling like onion soup and feet that you entire body was immersed in for 30 minutes.
Pretty much a typical Saturday morning for you
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I did not realize that airplanes could get hot to some people.

Which model aircraft do you believe is hotter: the Boeing 757, the Airbus A320 — or perhaps a sleek little regional jet number? Does it depend on the paint job?

I will have to consult with the next issue of Playplane magazine to find out the latest survey...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
DL should copy another hometown idea of "cans changing color when it is cold" from CocaCola.

http://bevwire.wordpress.com/2011/08...changing-cans/
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Which model aircraft do you believe is hotter: the Boeing 757, the Airbus A320 — or perhaps a sleek little regional jet number? Does it depend on the paint job?
Personally? The 737's always seemed to be hotter to me, but between the 75 and A32, I emphatically believe that the A320 has a design flaw with it's HVAC systems. I've never been on one (on any carrier) that felt "comfortable" to me.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
CRJ200s are horrible!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

In all seriousness, I find the Boeing 757-200 aircraft to be the hottest — not because of its sleek style, but rather because the on-board air circulation seems to be the poorest of any aircraft in the fleet of Delta Air Lines, in my opinion.

I also do not particularly care for any aircraft which is not equipped with an individual air vent overhead...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Ooooh... Look at me completely missing the joke. LOL. Nice.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jpmardini
CRJ200s are horrible!
Much too small...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Dear Delta people who read this.... here is my opinion...

This is a core aspect of what airlines should do to provide a service to PAX. Some of the planes I have been on this year have been nothing short of nasty. Some of us have to go directly to meetings from these flights Delta.... Always makes a great impression walking in with a soaked shirt and smelling like onion soup and feet that you entire body was immersed in for 30 minutes whilst on the ground... and the crew not acting like it is happening does not make it go away.

You CANNOT go to any business function after an ASA flight during summer months without a shower first - period.

Part of it is systemic maintenance issues, and part of it is total lack of attention to detail by the ramp and cockpit crews.

As for the other connection carriers and mainline DL, cooling an aircraft is not rocket science...again, attention to detail (and cost).
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
You CANNOT go to any business function after an ASA flight during summer months without a shower first - period.
Agreed
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpmardini
Agreed
Agreed... but what I hate is that you can fly the same route and have the same temps outside at the same time of day on the same type plane and one time it is 75 and the next it is 100.... I see this on MDs the most...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

..and yes, to 200s are pretty much always warm...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We still have it good. Even when it's hot on board before startup, it's not HOT.....As an Air National Guardsman, I got to board an hour before takeoff onto a 1958 model KC-135, based on the old 707 airframe......and it was HOT. No A/C, crammed in, sticky as hell, and we were going to be in those uniforms for the next 24 hours at least. Not the same as going to a meeting, I grant you, but all the same, look around next time you fly-Look at what it takes to keep a major hub moving-the fuel guys, the ramp guys, the gate agents, even the trash people and restroom attendants. It's tough trying to keep things cool when it's 105 degrees. I've been nothing but satisifed with DL, and AA in this respect-They do what they can, but the reality is, we're in metal cans in the sun. Give em a break, they're doing a pretty good job, especially when the average air fare is less than it was a decade ago (adjusted for inflation) and MUCH less than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Yesterday I sat in FC next to a guy on a CRJ 900, who was complaining every time the FA walked past prior to T/O about the heat....yes, it was warm, but this guy was STEWING in his own juices. I kept quiet, but couldn't help but think that if he wasn't 120# overweight, he might not be sweating quite so much......Time to lay off the expense dining account while travelling maybe!

Last edited by Paddlenpedal; Aug 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.