Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and middle name on reservations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Question Delta and middle name on reservations

I booked an international flight on Delta's website, and the confirmation email on my reservation is missing my middle name. My middle name is on my passport, though.

My middle name is on my Skymiles profile.

The delta.com reservations page doesn't have an entry box for "middle name." The "first name" box only allows a small number of characters, so I can't add it in there.

I did enter my middle name in the TSA verification bit on the reservations page, so I thought everything was fine.

My e-ticked only has my first and last name, though.

I called customer support and the nice lady told me she made an additional note to include my middle name when I check in, but when I asked her repeatedly to send me something in writing so I'd have proof that this had happened, I just got 5 more copies of the same e-ticket in my inbox, all missing my middle name. She kind of sounded like she was high. Not that I blame her ... I don't think I could stand having that job ...

Anyway, am I going to be able to get on my flight? Will the boarding pass have my full name even if the e-ticket confirmation only has first and last?

btw: I ended up on Delta because I first tried to book the exact same flights on KLM's website. KLM forces you to choose a salutation ("Mr.", "Ms." ,etc), which is fine, except for some reason they apparently insert it into the middle of your name on the ticket, so that it reads "John Quincy Mr Smith." Why? Is that a Dutch thing? It seemed way too dodgy so I bailed on KLM.

I need to get a good travel agent ... or just stop traveling ...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Don't worry about it. Sometimes my DL tickets show up as FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME, other times FIRSTNAMEMIDDLEINITIAL (all run together). Other times, separate first name and middle name. Other times, no middle name/initial at all. You'll be fine. (And don't fret about the titles on some carriers either. The only thing they tend to do is cause issues with your miles crediting properly to your account, if it's not the same airline as the one operating the flight. Sending in BPs solves that.)

Oh, Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kilton
Suggest posting in the Delta forum.
i think this is the proper forum, as it is a request for general information.

LH and UA do everything for me as doctor gerald (lastname). i am in fact, gerald david (last name) and that is how my passport and driver license are done.

i have never been questioned about that.

is it obvious that my first name is not doctor? donno. met a number of people with major as first name, and there was that famous fictional chacter in the heller novel, major major.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by slawecki
i think this is the proper forum, as it is a request for general information.

LH and UA do everything for me as doctor gerald (lastname). i am in fact, gerald david (last name) and that is how my passport and driver license are done.

i have never been questioned about that.

is it obvious that my first name is not doctor? donno. met a number of people with major as first name, and there was that famous fictional chacter in the heller novel, major major.
Is this a prank?

You jumped ship on KLM because of the order in which the system they designed and which works for them prints your name & title in an order which you don't find is conventional?

If this isn't a prank -- The issue is whether the document (or electronic symbol) you ultimately receive allows you to check-in, pass through the checkpoint and ultimately onto the aircraft. Stop worrying, it will.

If this is a prank -- Good one.

Often 1, Mr.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kilton
Suggest posting in the Delta forum.
No, don't post in the DL forum as that would be cross-posting (and a F/t non-no ) but rather click on the little red triangle to the lower left of any post (report bad post/report misplaced post) and send a request to the current forum's moderator to move the post (which I've just done )
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:35 am

I have a middle name, but I dont like it, so I dont think I have had it on a reservation in the last 10 years. I dont remember a single hiccup, question or comment about the missing middle name.

Dont worry
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:42 am

You have nothing to worry about. It sounds like the name on your ticket is close to what's on your passport, so you'll be fine.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:35 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
b965, welcome to FlyerTalk. I'll move this thread to the Delta Airlines forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Often1
Is this a prank?

You jumped ship on KLM because of the order in which the system they designed and which works for them prints your name & title in an order which you don't find is conventional?

If this isn't a prank -- The issue is whether the document (or electronic symbol) you ultimately receive allows you to check-in, pass through the checkpoint and ultimately onto the aircraft. Stop worrying, it will.

If this is a prank -- Good one.

Often 1, Mr.
Perhaps you missed that slawecki is not the OP, and so he's done no such thing as bail on KL because of where they put his title.

To slawecki, note that the character's full name in Catch-22 is Major Major Major, so his name and title is Major Major Major Major

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.