Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by tgtg
Delta flies about 4000 flights a day or 1.5 million flights a year. They claim that 1,000,000 award seats are going out empty do to last minute changes!

They are claiming that 2 out of every 3 flights are being abused like this!

I for one find this hard to believe. I think their statistics are messed up...but then they did get the data from their IT department who is responsible for the unusable award booking system...do I see a pattern?

-=tg=-
Is that 1,000,000 per year? (I'm being rhetorical, you're not Michelle)

On the late July thread the figure was 400,000, again, without a time dimension.

Either way, I, too, am skeptical about the metrics here, and I echo your comment about IT at Delta.

I don't think this is a great move, but I'm willing to wait and see how this impacts us in reality (and yes, me personally).

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Ok thanks, now at least I get the problem though I am never a part of the problem but will now pay the price in the form of many more miles...
Agreed on both parts. It's a screwed up and rushed implementation.

If they'd allowed you to change the routing or get a refund of lower miles, I'd have been fine. However, this seems like just throwing a policy together for the sake of "preventing all fraud".

This isn't going to stop what they were hoping to stop anyway, in the long run, the people who were doing it with mileage tickets will just say fine and book with CC's. That costs DL actual $$$... Doubt that the people in revenue management thought about that....

We all end up getting screwed in the end

Domestically, I could care less but internationally it looks like I'm going to begin to do what you've done Avid and start flying CO more. With their liberal change policies (and much better international award availability) it is beginning to make more and more sense.

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
In response to the notion that one would falsify a 'dead great uncle' 8 times, what is one to do with true family emergencies? I had not used award tickets until this year when my father got critical. We buried him in June and I had to rework award tickets more than once due to the fluid situation mixed with trips to Cyprus, Sweden, Russia, and Oxford.

Now I am dealing with my mother who we were told to call in hospice then put on palliative care. I can't predict what will happen to her but managing her affairs from 1,000 miles means last-minute travel.

I continue to work hard and spend money for keeping DM with DL and expected that one benefit would relate to real life emergencies.
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fti
At least you are honest - this is exactly the type of behavior that DL is trying to curb. When I book award tickets, I use them. I don't "hedge my bets" like you (and probably thousands of others) do.

Now I better understand their reasoning when people do en masse like you do.
Agreed. I would be inclined to dismiss DL's complaints were it not for the fact that people seem to be admitting to doing exactly what DL says they are doing.

Originally Posted by fti
But there must be a better way - allow changes but not redeposits. Or something.
I think a good compromise would be to allow 'price' adjustments within the period, but not substantive changes or cancellations to the itinerary.

Originally Posted by tgtg
Delta flies about 4000 flights a day or 1.5 million flights a year. They claim that 1,000,000 award seats are going out empty do to last minute changes!

They are claiming that 2 out of every 3 flights are being abused like this!

I for one find this hard to believe. I think their statistics are messed up...but then they did get the data from their IT department who is responsible for the unusable award booking system...do I see a pattern?

-=tg=-
DL actually says they fly 5,771 daily flights, so quite a bit more than 4000, and it would mean slightly less than half the flights leave with an empty award seat. I would also suspect that the 1m number would include travel on partners, which would probably at least double the number of flights.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
The reason most book within 72 hours is that this is where DELTA puts most Low awards....
Ah, this is the crux of the matter. Delta treats low level awards as distressed inventory.

In my experience quite a few other FF offer far superior low-level award availability. This change just serves to highlight Delta policy, which DMs and PMS were just gaming. Hey not blaming them, I would have too if I were DM/PM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Vuelos you have a pretty good angle on this stuff so can you try to explain to me why a few posters have said "Way to go Delta". I do not see how this is good for anybody..but I am probably missing some nuance...
I am not Vuelos (obviously!) but I can see two things:

1) like he said upthread about people booking F awards on the same flights they are booked on in coach, knowing these F award passengers would be "no shows" then they receive UG's on these flights.

2) What one person does and I am sure others do as well (quoted from Michelle's thread):

Originally Posted by runfit
I...know of at least two instances coming up where I booked award travel BECAUSE I won't know until the day before if I am going to be able to make the trip. I didn't want to purchase a last minute ticket, but I already found low availability I don't want to lose. Bad move, Delta.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Michelle - I think you'll find that Delta created this by holding onto those low level inventories instead of releasing them a reasonable time out. It seems that on AA, UA/CO + US that elites CAN book LOW LEVEL awards. You don't seem to allow that unless the booking is done less than 72 hours out.

If you want to do this, then offer a REFUND when low level award travel opens up within 72 hours and a person had secured a seat with a high or mid level award. Either that or open up more low level award seats to your elites than you currently do. It's almost impossible to find an int'l low level award 60 days out.

We get that mother Delta was being taken advantage of, unfortunately because of your stubborness of releasing those low level seats you created the mess.

Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Though I will admit to being part of the problem. An example of how this will hurt my flexibility... last year at Christmas I decided I was going to stay on vacation an extra 3 days... when we'd arrived at the airport home for our connecting flight. Instead of boarding, I went to the Ticket Counter and they reissued the ticket for me for 3 days later. If I wanted to do that now, I'd be SOL and unable to do so.

Originally Posted by fti
I am not Vuelos (obviously!) but I can see two things:

1) like he said upthread about people booking F awards on the same flights they are booked on in coach, knowing these F award passengers would be "no shows" then they receive UG's on these flights.

2) What one person does and I am sure others do as well (quoted from Michelle's thread):
DL is losing money in both cases (theoretically).

I'm not sure I like this whole agreeing with one another thing... it feels so weird
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:52 am

In the other scenario, tell me what you would do: My wife is due 4 days after a trip that I really need to make (but obviously would not trump being there for the birth of my baby). She has gone early the last times (enough so that it would give me enough clearance to go).

Do you know what a last minute ticket to Israel costs? I have every intention of using my award ticket unless the baby is not born yet.
Yes, you do have the intention of using the ticket. Your situation, with documentation, should be an allowable exception.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think a good compromise would be to allow 'price' adjustments within the period, but not substantive changes or cancellations to the itinerary.
That's a CUSTOMER FRIENDLY move... that would require someone / people understanding travel patterns of their best customers. good luck
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:52 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I should have been more clear - what I meant I did was to reserve the higher ticket (because that was all that was available) and kept checking for the lower availability to come clear.
Seems to me you were very clear in your post:

I did this a couple of times in the first part of the year, and know of at least two instances coming up where I booked award travel BECAUSE I won't know until the day before if I am going to be able to make the trip. I didn't want to purchase a last minute ticket, but I already found low availability I don't want to lose.
Whether you actually did this or not is really irrelevant, though it can't seem clearer to me. Obviously many people did it unfortunately and screwed it up for the rest of us.

In the other scenario, tell me what you would do: My wife is due 4 days after a trip that I really need to make (but obviously would not trump being there for the birth of my baby). She has gone early the last times (enough so that it would give me enough clearance to go). Do you know what a last minute ticket to Israel costs? I have every intention of using my award ticket unless the baby is not born yet.
Then you request the waiver that they talked about. And how often does your wife have babies right around when you are supposed to travel? I would guess not more than about once a year at most.

Last edited by fti; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It does sound like this change is specifically designed to prevent those with mid level tickets from taking advantage of a low bucket opening for the trip.
They already changed it so no-shows don't get their miles back... now they're basically ensuring that what little "low" availability there is never gets used.
The new "low" is mid.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This change is horrible! I can understand not refunding miles for tickets that no-show and then call up later to make a change, but to tell someone their ticket is locked in without changes/refunds 72hrs in advance is just ludicrous!!

This is almost as bad as US' former 'use it or lose it' rule for revenue tickets.

Just when it looked like DL was improving their product and program....now this.

Big and not well thought out at all!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:57 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by skymilesinsider
Michelle will be posting details on this shortly.
This sounds just awful. Too bad you didn't get out ahead of the news. How long are you going to let speculation run away before coming on here to clarify.

Whatever it is, seems like it is destined to be just an awful change.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Vuelos
What would have made sense, to not .... your best customers over, was to allow changes... ONLY to the routing while keeping the Origin / Destination / Dates the same.

That would have helped alleviate the fraud y'all are suggesting is happening.
Throw in being able to reprice (same routing or different routing, but keeping same travel date, origin, and destination), and I think that's a reasonable solution. It cuts down on abuse of people holding tickets they don't know if they're going to use but still allows the needed flexibility to get around the difficulty of using SkyMiles.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by andymo99
Too bad you didn't get out ahead of the news.
does that surprise you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.