Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's Boeing 757-200 (75E)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
DL's Boeing 757-200 (75E)

I flew this configuration for the first time today -- does anyone know where DL got them? I thought it was likely to be PMNW metal but the (PMDL) FA thought they got them from AA.

It was odd making the left turn and seeing only 16 F seats. The legroom was outrageous and I fiddled with the crazy seat reclines for half the flight. They had racks for AVOD in the center armrests but the only video was overhead. I was REALLY bummed that there was no-no go-go. (Yes, I admit that I have become spoiled by such widespread wifi access onboard.)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by FlynGyn
I flew this configuration for the first time today -- does anyone know where DL got them? I thought it was likely to be PMNW metal but the (PMDL) FA thought they got them from AA.

It was odd making the left turn and seeing only 16 F seats. The legroom was outrageous and I fiddled with the crazy seat reclines for half the flight. They had racks for AVOD in the center armrests but the only video was overhead. I was REALLY bummed that there was no-no go-go. (Yes, I admit that I have become spoiled by such widespread wifi access onboard.)
Well, all 75Es have AVOD. You must of been on a 75A, which is indeed from NWA.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Well, all 75Es have AVOD. You must of been on a 75A, which is indeed from NWA.
Could well be -- the 75E was the only 16F config that i saw on Seat Guru. Thanks for the info though. I had never seen one before.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:52 pm

Based on the lack of AVOD, it sounds like this is a 75A, not a 75E.

The 75A is a PMNW plane that mainly flies TATL, so no Wi-Fi. It has 16 BE seats and 150 Y seats. Overhead video throughout the plane, and personal video players are passed out in BE on TATL flights.

The 75E are the ex-AA/TWA planes that joined the PMDL fleet, and like the 75A, do a lot of TATL flying. They also have 16 BE seats, and 158 seats in the back. AVOD at every seat. The 75E does have Wi-Fi, since these planes also fly JFK-SFO/LAX, among other random domestic flights.

Considering that these are the two 757 configurations with BE seats, it's not surprising that the FA confused them.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by FlynGyn
Could well be -- the 75E was the only 16F config that i saw on Seat Guru. Thanks for the info though. I had never seen one before.
Was there AVOD in Y?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Was there AVOD in Y?
I cannot tell you because I got to turn left upon boarding the AC and I never looked back.

Based on Skydv25's description, this had to be a 75A. Until today, I never knew these rare birds existed -- it reminded me of flying FC in the 80s (as a child, of course) when that amount of leg room was more typical of the experience. And handing out hand-held video devices on TATLs explains why the mounting brackets in the armrests were barren. Thanks for assuring me that I was not merely sleep deprived and imagining this oddball layout.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
These 75As are used on some domestic flights ex-JFK, like JFK-SEA. This is unfortunate because of the lack of wifi, which is advertised as having been installed on 100% of the domestic fleet.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:10 am

I fly the 75A a few times a year JFK-ARN. Pretty good chair for sleeping and I like the small biz cabin (only 16 seats) though most would say to avoid the 757 TATL, I disagree.

I also fly the 75E a few times a years LAX-JFK. I really like this seat for TCON flights, especially the back massage function! There is a gogo wifi access point on this bird, but a few times it hasn't worked for me. Sometimes I end up in coach on this flight, it is a tough upgrade that I have never received anywhere but the battlefield. I live in SAN but I'll fly through LAX to New York rather than fly our nonstop if my schedule allows, rolling the dice at LAX for the upgrade. 3/6 over the last year.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
As I recall, the PMNW 75As have great seat pitch in the back because at least one row was removed for weight issues when they got the ETOPs rating -- I don't think CO or DL or others who fly 757s TATL removed seats -- was this because of the extra distance for DTW-Europe compared to JFK or EWR to Europe?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mot29
As I recall, the PMNW 75As have great seat pitch in the back because at least one row was removed for weight issues when they got the ETOPs rating -- I don't think CO or DL or others who fly 757s TATL removed seats -- was this because of the extra distance for DTW-Europe compared to JFK or EWR to Europe?
That's a rational explanation. Weight-gain-avoidance to permit longer stage lengths might also explain why DL and CO 757s got AVOD in coach and NW's didn't.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:55 am
Original Member

Yeah, believe that was the case in the 2005-6 timeframe. I flew DTW-DUS-DTW in early 2007 on them...needed the extra 300 mile range to both get anywhere beyond AMS from DTW and also potentially hit MSP from LON. Very comfortable ride as I recall
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
I fly the 75A a few times a year JFK-ARN. Pretty good chair for sleeping and I like the small biz cabin (only 16 seats) though most would say to avoid the 757 TATL, I disagree.
Flying on these flights from JFK to Scandinavia is a sort of flashback to the days of flying Panam, except that these flights are single-aisle ones.

I prefer to avoid these DL 757s, unless for some reason I have to choose JFK.

CO's 757 flights between EWR to Scandinavia have seat-back IFE. And CO has been less likely to cancel my flights from Scandinavia than DL. Also, DL's 757s in this market are frequently lacking in baby-changing facilities, which makes for some additional messes in the general cabin area or who knows what in the bathrooms.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 21, 2011 at 7:03 am
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I flew this bird from DFW to ATL so I was not able to take full advantage of the "barber chair" flexibility of the seat but then again I was not too terribly inconvenienced by the lack of wifi either.

Does anyone know if they routinely use this AC on the route (DL#1482) or whether it was a swap? During a delay, we were told that the AC was inbound from ATL but it seems that most of you have flown this on a TCON or TATL.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:16 am

The 75A which you flew were ex-NWA

The 75E which Delta flies on JFK-LAX/SFO, BOS/PIT/PHL-CDG, some JFK-ATL, and other international flights out of BOS/ATL/JFK were originally TWA aircraft that moved on to American with their purchase of TWA and later some were acquired by Delta. I believe a Ukrainian or Russian airline also acquired some. While American's original 757's use Rolls Royce engines, the engines on the 75E's were Pratt & Whitney like the Delta original 757's
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
The 75A which you flew were ex-NWA

The 75E which Delta flies on JFK-LAX/SFO, BOS/PIT/PHL-CDG, some JFK-ATL, and other international flights out of BOS/ATL/JFK were originally TWA aircraft that moved on to American with their purchase of TWA and later some were acquired by Delta. I believe a Ukrainian or Russian airline also acquired some. While American's original 757's use Rolls Royce engines, the engines on the 75E's were Pratt & Whitney like the Delta original 757's
What international 757 routes out of Atlanta does Delta have? I thought they were only going from NYC/BOS/PHL/PIT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.