Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I am continuously amazed at how ticked off people get about baggage fees, yet they want to keep having $140 RT flights. Clowns on the news do their best to fan this fire whenever they report these stories.

Next time you are on a super leisure fare and get annoyed at paying $25 to check in your bag...remember this - the airline is losing money on you. Although you are paying $25, you are still screwing the airline. Hopefully that makes you feel better.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Question about bag fees...

I am silver medallion and am going on a family trip. My father booked the tickets under his name and sky miles account.

How do we take advantage of my free baggage that I get as SM?

Is there something that would need to be changed?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:04 pm

If everyone in your group is traveling on the same reservation, all members of your party will receive the Medallion luggage allowance at no charge. So long as your SkyMiles number is in the reservation, these fee waivers will be visible online during check-in.

If you are traveling on your own PNR, the elite allowance would only apply to you; all other passengers would be subject to the normal fees.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:01 am

Kinda new to this, what's PNR

It's under my father sky miles, so not mine.... Is there a way to change that? The flight isn't for two more weeks
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Westin
Kinda new to this, what's PNR

It's under my father sky miles, so not mine.... Is there a way to change that? The flight isn't for two more weeks
Just look at the reservation online and you will see a field where you can enter a SM# for each passenger. As long as 1 of the passengers is a medallion the fee waivers should apply.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:15 am

I appreciate all the replies! And just to double check, medallion gives one or two bags per person?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
BTW, if anyone in the reservation has the AmEx Gold card, you'd also get first bag free.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:32 am

Gotcha, so gold Amex gets you one bag free

How many bags free does each person get for silver medallion
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Gotcha, so gold Amex gets you one bag free

How many bags free does each person get for silver medallion
2 bags at up to 70lbs each, this benefit applies to up to 9 people in your reservation.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:58 am

Awesome. Thanks guys
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:24 am

Last question... I know the amex gold card was mentioned... does that free bag include the AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:41 am

Last question... I know the amex gold card was mentioned... does that free bag include the AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card?
No. Sorry, I meant DELTA's AmEx Gold Skymiles card. It doesn't apply to any AmEx gold card.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I am silver medallion and am going on a family trip. My father booked the tickets under his name and sky miles account.

How do we take advantage of my free baggage that I get as SM?

Is there something that would need to be changed?
At a minimum, you should be sure that your frequent flyer number is on your reservation to get credit for the flight.

Bob H
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:14 pm

Luggage Fees if multiple airlines

Probably already answered, but can't find post.

One of the members of our party is flying on Delta out of Detroit, connecting to an American flight in LAX. Same ticket purchase.

Two questions:
  • I assume Delta can check-through to American
  • Do you pay Delta just their normal luggage fee to do this? Or do you have to pay American as well, or some other combo?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Eagle?

Originally Posted by aaron_flyer
Probably already answered, but can't find post.

One of the members of our party is flying on Delta out of Detroit, connecting to an American flight in LAX. Same ticket purchase.

Two questions:
  • I assume Delta can check-through to American
  • Do you pay Delta just their normal luggage fee to do this? Or do you have to pay American as well, or some other combo?

Thanks!
Assuming it's an American Eagle flight, checked through, one fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.