Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Fees and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Originally Posted by stlBased
I had not found this thread when I originally posted mine (with more data than the AJC article I might add ). Mods, merge if needed please.

However, to ATL787's point, you can calc figures like this -
and while Wikipedia shows 160 mill pax for DL in 2010, the BTS figures actually show fewer (and I think are probably more accurate).

for 2010:
DL bag fees $952.250 mill
DL pax 110,925,000
= $8.585 DL bag $/pax

Thanks for the link.^

Delta's website says 160M customers served in 2010

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&cat=47

"Delta Air Lines serves more than 160 million customers each year. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 356 destinations in 65 countries on six continents. "

Interesting the BTS and Delta sites have different numbers. One is for enplanements the other one for customers, whatever that may be. Looks like the BTS number is the real deal.

Adding $8.58 to each ticket would return the world back to normal.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Delta collected $592 M in baggage fees last year

This was in the Atlanta journal Constitution 6/14/11

Delta Air Lines collected the most baggage fees of any U.S. airline in 2010, AJC writer Kelly Yamanouchi reports, citing federal data.

Delta collected $952 million in baggage fees last year, far more than any other U.S. airline, according to the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Yamanouchi writes. That’s also nearly double the baggage fees Delta collected in 2009. Atlanta-based Delta has increased its baggage fees over time and currently charges $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second checked bag on domestic flights, Yamanouchi reports.

American Airlines, in the No. 2 spot, collected nearly $581 million in baggage fees last year, followed by US Airways at about $514 million, Yamanouchi writes.

Continental collected $342 million in baggage fees last year, while United collected $313 million, Yamanouchi reports. United and Continental merged last year to become the world’s largest airline, surpassing Delta. But even combined, the total amount United and Continental collected in baggage fees doesn’t match Delta’s haul.

AirTran came in sixth in baggage fee revenues, with $152 million collected in 2010, Yamanouchi writes.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Topic already being discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...gage-fees.html
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Pinehurstgolfer
DL made $952M in baggage fees last year. AA made $581M.
See (http://www.ajc.com/business/delta-co...st-975751.html).
Not bad.
Do you suppose that someone in ATL is now saying:

"Wow!!! What if we limited carry-ons to one per PAX, and we start charging elites for baggage? Just think how much we'd make then!!!"

What used to be an airline is now a freight hauling service that, incidentally, transfers people from one location to another.... because they bring the freight to the airport.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Good for DL.

Folks are free to ship their bags via alternative means, and I encourage them to investigate them. Once they look at the cost for expedited delivery of luggage-sized parcels, I suspect that most would choose to pay the bag fees.

Much as I prefer to pay for wine in a restaurant only when I drink it, I prefer to pay for luggage delivery only at those times I need to. Bundling the cost into my fare would increase my total outlays and, accordingly, I prefer such costs to remain unbundled.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stlBased
I had not found this thread when I originally posted mine (with more data than the AJC article I might add ). Mods, merge if needed please.

However, to ATL787's point, you can calc figures like this -
and while Wikipedia shows 160 mill pax for DL in 2010, the BTS figures actually show fewer (and I think are probably more accurate).

for 2010:
DL bag fees $952.250 mill
DL pax 110,925,000
= $8.585 DL bag $/pax

AA bag fees $580.663 mill
AA pax 86,129,000
= $6.742 AA bag $/pax

DL flts 766,906
$1241.678 DL bag $ / flt

AA flts 619,643
$937.0928 AA bag $ / flt

One might conclude from this data that Delta has been more efficient in monetizing checked bags.
Or that DL passengers are more affluent / foolish / carefree / [fill in your own bias here]
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Adding $8.58 to each ticket would return the world back to normal.
Who'd have thought that a mere $8.58 per person would solve the world's problems?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Kind of off topic, but I was going through some old coupon receipts (read = pre-eticket era) and I was laughing at the price. 3/4 of the flights are the same price today if not cheaper than those of 15 years ago. Granted I fly a hell of a lot more today than I did 10-15 years ago, but looking at the 17 flights I have booked over the next few weeks made me chuckle that even though fuel is roughly 300% of what it was 10-15 years ago, its still the same price to fly and it a lot nicer cabin (especially in J). Thank you bag fees!
That's why I find all the southwest ads saying they don't charge for bag fees funny lately. For at least the past year WN's fares have gone up a LOT more than the competitions.

Seeing Jetblue doesn't fly out of here, I really can't compare their fares to Deltas, but lately on routes WN flys, I have been comparing my Delta prices to WNs, and WN is NEVER cheaper than Delta. In quite a few cases they are considerably more, and even if the kettles had to pay $25 each way to check a bag, they would still be saving money on Delta and not have to deal with a connection or checking in at exactly t-24. In the case of WN, it's obvious those "free checked bags" are added in the price of the airfare, and also apply to people like me that don't check bags.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by PepeBorja

Delta's website says 160M customers served in 2010

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&cat=47

"Delta Air Lines serves more than 160 million customers each year. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 356 destinations in 65 countries on six continents. "
I hadn't realized that SkyTeam was "industry-leading" - whatever that means. Guess Star Alliance is toast now that Saudia has joined ST.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Sabai
I hadn't realized that SkyTeam was "industry-leading" - whatever that means. Guess Star Alliance is toast now that Saudia has joined ST.
I don't read that as referring to SkyTeam, but rather the routes that DL and DL Connection fly. Until Uninental finishes its merger (and maybe even after), DL's network is surely leading the US carriers and maybe even the global industry, considering how many more little airports there are to fly into in the US than in most countries.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I don't read that as referring to SkyTeam, but rather the routes that DL and DL Connection fly. Until Uninental finishes its merger (and maybe even after), DL's network is surely leading the US carriers and maybe even the global industry, considering how many more little airports there are to fly into in the US than in most countries.
Hmm, I didn't read it that way, but I take your point. It's all corporate marketing speak anyway, as here is AF/KL claiming the "world's largest network built around two hubs" - whatever that means.

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/ne...ound-two-hubs/

I guess practically any carrier could claim uniqueness based upon their particular circumstances (or limitations).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
If only they would use some of that revenue to improve the checked baggage experience. 45 minutes after the door opens until the checked bag appears on the carousel in ATL is unacceptable, but, sadly, typical. If Delta would improve this, maybe more people would check bags, even some that have to pay for it!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Much as I prefer to pay for wine in a restaurant only when I drink it, I prefer to pay for luggage delivery only at those times I need to. Bundling the cost into my fare would increase my total outlays and, accordingly, I prefer such costs to remain unbundled.
That’s why I always bring my own wine and booze to the restaurant. That way the patrons that actually pay for it get to subsidize my dinning experience. Sweet!

If only Uncle Sam did the same thing and taxed us only on the things we use. No more of my tax money to entitlements would mean a lot mo’ money in my pocket… I mean I don’t use Medicare, Medicaid, SS, or SSI so why pay for them. I should only pay for them when I retire and start to collect.

Let the people on welfare pay for their own welfare…. Brilliant!

Reasonable people can agree that there are “reasonable expectations” from a purchased service. A baggage allowance is one of them. How many people travel empty handed?

I suppose if the airlines ran restaurants they would charge for dinnerware, napkins, linens, water, utensils, and condiments. After all, a patron should be able to have a meal without any of ”them unreasonable extras”.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
If only they would use some of that revenue to improve the checked baggage experience. 45 minutes after the door opens until the checked bag appears on the carousel in ATL is unacceptable, but, sadly, typical. If Delta would improve this, maybe more people would check bags, even some that have to pay for it!
I agree, if people have to pay to check a bag, they have a right to good service.

If your bag was checked on time and doesn't come out on the belt, the airlines should also refund the fee promptly.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:38 pm

This is what a Delta executive said about this:

http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=254795

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.