Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

According to an AJC article, "Two Muslim religious leaders say they were removed from [ASA-operated 5452 between MEM and CLT] in Memphis on Friday and were told it was because the pilot refused to fly with them aboard."

Here's the article: Atlanta Journal Constitution - Muslim leaders say they were taken off Tenn flight

According to delta.com, the scheduled 8:40 AM departure was delayed until 10:59 AM.
Old May 6, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
That pilot may soon be facing some discipline if the story is true.

It also points to the fact that the pilot must feel that current security measures are not adequate.
Old May 6, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I hope ASA reconsiders the pilot's employment with the airline... not cool ASA.
Old May 6, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
I hope they are disciplined. This is unacceptable
Old May 6, 2011, 5:40 pm

Actually, I think it points to the pilot being a racist.
Old May 6, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
According to an AJC article, "Two Muslim religious leaders say they were removed from [ASA-operated 5452 between MEM and CLT] in Memphis on Friday and were told it was because the pilot refused to fly with them aboard."

Here's the article: Atlanta Journal Constitution - Muslim leaders say they were taken off Tenn flight

According to delta.com, the scheduled 8:40 AM departure was delayed until 10:59 AM.

I would like to hear both sides before jumping to conclusions.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:01 pm

Some out of work pilot just got a job.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Like ir was said before, there are always two sides of every story. It did say that the pilot inferred some pax were uncomfortable. If they had already pushed back, it seems to me it wasn't a simple issue of a pilot being racist.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maccoinnich
Actually, I think it points to the pilot being a racist.
Muslim is a religion not a race.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
I hope they are disciplined. This is unacceptable
Depends on the facts. Had an AA pilot done the same on 9/11 a few thousand more souls would be here and now. Face the facts muslim leaders declared a fatwa on Salmon R. They also threatened violence because of a South Park episode.

There is a chance that there is a good reason the pilot did what he did. But, without all the facts one can not say without prejudice if he was right or wrong.

Jumping on the defensive or offensive without knowing the entire story is foolish.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
@DeltaNewsroom just sent out a cryptic tweet on the subject:

"Re: denied boarding of paxs on today's flight #5452, Delta Connection Carrier ASA issued statement: "Flight 5452 returned to gate for..."

There is no link to any further description of the incident, hopefully more information comes out soon and it was just some misunderstanding, I have a feeling the outcome will not be so benign unfortunately.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Jumping on the defensive or offensive without knowing the entire story is foolish.
Some alternate explanation should have emerged by now, either from ASA or passengers, if there was anything the men did that aroused suspicion or disrupted the cabin crew's checklist routine.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:49 pm

IMO, if the facts prove upon investigation to be as reported in that article, the pilot should be fired.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Wow, it looks like we have some FT'rs with impressive security clearances given the quick judgements on how this case should be resolved.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Wow, it looks like we have some FT'rs with impressive security clearances given the quick judgements on how this case should be resolved.
+1^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.