FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1212939-allegation-asa-pilot-refused-fly-muslim-passengers-aboard.html)

RatherBeOnATrain May 6, 2011 4:38 pm

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

According to an AJC article, "Two Muslim religious leaders say they were removed from [ASA-operated 5452 between MEM and CLT] in Memphis on Friday and were told it was because the pilot refused to fly with them aboard."

Here's the article: Atlanta Journal Constitution - Muslim leaders say they were taken off Tenn flight

According to delta.com, the scheduled 8:40 AM departure was delayed until 10:59 AM.

bkmn May 6, 2011 4:59 pm

That pilot may soon be facing some discipline if the story is true.

It also points to the fact that the pilot must feel that current security measures are not adequate.

jpmardini May 6, 2011 5:24 pm

I hope ASA reconsiders the pilot's employment with the airline...:td: not cool ASA.

arfgoblue May 6, 2011 5:38 pm

I hope they are disciplined. This is unacceptable :td::td:

maccoinnich May 6, 2011 5:40 pm

Actually, I think it points to the pilot being a racist.

MSPDeltaDude May 6, 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 16341182)
According to an AJC article, "Two Muslim religious leaders say they were removed from [ASA-operated 5452 between MEM and CLT] in Memphis on Friday and were told it was because the pilot refused to fly with them aboard."

Here's the article: Atlanta Journal Constitution - Muslim leaders say they were taken off Tenn flight

According to delta.com, the scheduled 8:40 AM departure was delayed until 10:59 AM.

I would like to hear both sides before jumping to conclusions.

LegalTender May 6, 2011 6:01 pm

Some out of work pilot just got a job.

mbarreto May 6, 2011 6:05 pm

Like ir was said before, there are always two sides of every story. It did say that the pilot inferred some pax were uncomfortable. If they had already pushed back, it seems to me it wasn't a simple issue of a pilot being racist.

shadesofgrey1x May 6, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by maccoinnich (Post 16341405)
Actually, I think it points to the pilot being a racist.

Muslim is a religion not a race.

shadesofgrey1x May 6, 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by arfgoblue (Post 16341392)
I hope they are disciplined. This is unacceptable :td::td:

Depends on the facts. Had an AA pilot done the same on 9/11 a few thousand more souls would be here and now. Face the facts muslim leaders declared a fatwa on Salmon R. They also threatened violence because of a South Park episode.

There is a chance that there is a good reason the pilot did what he did. But, without all the facts one can not say without prejudice if he was right or wrong.

Jumping on the defensive or offensive without knowing the entire story is foolish.

dc2005b May 6, 2011 6:42 pm

@DeltaNewsroom just sent out a cryptic tweet on the subject:

"Re: denied boarding of paxs on today's flight #5452, Delta Connection Carrier ASA issued statement: "Flight 5452 returned to gate for..."

There is no link to any further description of the incident, hopefully more information comes out soon and it was just some misunderstanding, I have a feeling the outcome will not be so benign unfortunately.

LegalTender May 6, 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x (Post 16341536)
Jumping on the defensive or offensive without knowing the entire story is foolish.

Some alternate explanation should have emerged by now, either from ASA or passengers, if there was anything the men did that aroused suspicion or disrupted the cabin crew's checklist routine.

Isobel May 6, 2011 6:49 pm

IMO, if the facts prove upon investigation to be as reported in that article, the pilot should be fired.

hockeystl May 6, 2011 6:53 pm

Wow, it looks like we have some FT'rs with impressive security clearances given the quick judgements on how this case should be resolved.

DLdweeb May 6, 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 16341678)
Wow, it looks like we have some FT'rs with impressive security clearances given the quick judgements on how this case should be resolved.

+1^