Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Old May 6, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Some alternate explanation should have emerged by now, either from ASA or passengers, if there was anything the men did that aroused suspicion or disrupted the cabin crew's checklist routine.
Please state what is the legal timeline for "Some alternate explanation" and the provide references to the documentation that supports it?
Old May 6, 2011, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
The Memphis Commercial Appeal has an article posted that provides additional detail. The passenger making the allegation says that they "were subjected to extra security screening at the gate" and that, while they were accomodated on a later flight, they "arrived too late for prayer and the conference’s opening activities".

Source:
Memphis Commercial Appeal: Delta pilot orders Muslim clerics to get off plane at Memphis airport

The question for FT: how much compensation should they hold out for?
Old May 6, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Isobel
IMO, if the facts prove upon investigation to be as reported in that article, the pilot should be fired.
Only if he scanned BPs at the gate.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by dc2005b
@DeltaNewsroom just sent out a cryptic tweet on the subject:
Here's the link: DeltaNewsroom (Twitter)

Somebody needs to post a screenshot of that page. The latest tweet is:
Re: denied boarding of paxs on today's flight #5452, Delta Connection Carrier ASA issued statement: "Flight 5452 returned to gate for... 25 minutes ago via HootSuite

Immediately below it is this tweet:
Delta Air Lines Named Title Sponsor of 2011 & 2012 Civil Rights Games in @City_of_Atlanta http://ow.ly/4OM5k#civilrightsgame about 9 hours ago via HootSuite
Old May 6, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: 2 many 4 2 long.
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Correct.

And we should never let a few million bad apples spoil the bunch.
U R Correct, with your tongue-in-cheek. What a tiny minority of people in the USA forget is that 100% of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were, in fact, Muslim.

Said another way, if 19 American Catholics hijack 3 Saudi Arabian Airlines (which I have flown 4 times) aircraft on 9/11/11, and crash those a/c into three office buildings in downtown Riyadh, and Saudi Arabian Airlines wants to then throw all of us Americans off their flights in the future, that is their inarguable right. That's not racism or discrimination, or mistreatment. That's self preservation.

And I wouldn't blame them.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Please state what is the legal timeline for "Some alternate explanation" and the provide references to the documentation that supports it?
Who said anything about a "legal timeline?"

I doubt ASA will ever identify the pilot. A vague policy statement about treating everyone with respect and saying that the matter is under further review likely will be issued.

The dynamic changes if other passengers speak up.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I looked @ both ASA and Delta's media pages and could not find any news releases.

Ironically, the top story on Delta's page is:

"Delta Air Lines Named Title Sponsor of 2011
and 2012 Civil Rights Games in Atlanta"

Who knows........
Old May 6, 2011, 7:40 pm

ASA:

"We take security and safety very seriously and the event is currently under investigation," Atlantic Southeast spokesman Jarek Beem said Friday evening.

The men were taken to a lounge and booked on a later flight. Beem said they flew on to Charlotte later Friday.

"We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused," Beem said.[/blockquote]

WRBL
Old May 6, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find both the incident, as well as some of the comments in this thread, absolutely appalling.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Choice Hotels, Marriott
Let's wait for the trial before we hang them

You can bet ASA will investigate, and when the facts come out I'll bet there is some other reason they were removed. If you're smart enough to learn to fly, you're smart enough to learn and understand a non-discrimination policy.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:58 pm

Muslim is a religion not a race.
The passenger involved used the word 'racist', so I felt justified in using it myself. However, Islam is indeed not a race, so I guess the pilot isn't technically a racist. He's a bigot.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Muslim is a religion not a race.
For the purposes of the current state of siege the American and non-American Muslim community in the US is under, the term race applied to Muslims is wholly appropriate. Many don't take charges of religious bias seriously, but a charge of racism gets everyones attention.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
I find both the incident, as well as some of the comments in this thread, absolutely appalling.
I find my wife's meatloaf appalling, but you don't see me not complaining.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by rcoop
You can bet ASA will investigate, and when the facts come out I'll bet there is some other reason they were removed. If you're smart enough to learn to fly, you're smart enough to learn and understand a non-discrimination policy.
As someone who has been thrown off two aircraft since 9/11, I don't share your upbeat opinion of pilots. Smart enough!, are you kidding me?
Old May 6, 2011, 8:12 pm

Can somebody explain how "Jarek Beem" can be the spokesman for ASA and United's Express Jet Airlines, simultaneously?

Jarek Beem, a spokesman for Express Jet Airlines said there was no fire on the plane, and investigators are looking into the cause of the smoke.

"An emergency was declared out of abundance of caution," Beem said.
Denver Post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.