Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6'7" does not fit in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
You can claim that you are "vertically challenged" and ask Delta to comply with the ADA by finding a seat that will accommodate someone of your height. They might be sensitive to this claim since they have recently received several fines for non-compliance. The ADA has a very broad definition of disability.

Not to sound to callus, but I have thought of this. I am constantly hearing of the concessions being made on flights for those that are obese, yet those of us that are "vertically challenged" (through no fault of our own) are crammed in and ignored.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
how about booking e+....other a/ls have it.....good luck...
Old May 6, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ElStretcho
Not to sound to callus, but I have thought of this. I am constantly hearing of the concessions being made on flights for those that are obese, yet those of us that are "vertically challenged" (through no fault of our own) are crammed in and ignored.
Please use the term "vertically emburdened," since our verticality is anything but challenged.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:05 am

You can claim that you are "vertically challenged" and ask Delta to comply with the ADA by finding a seat that will accommodate someone of your height. They might be sensitive to this claim since they have recently received several fines for non-compliance. The ADA has a very broad definition of disability.

I firmly believe in Karma. When you wind up REALLY needed the services of ADA and find an issue remember that you recommended others abuse ADA for thier personal gain.....

But what I can't figure out.. why did OP book these flights? I fly ATL to the LA area a lot. Before I hit purchase I look at the seats and if there aren't seats I like showing I don't buy, same when I fly International.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Tell them you have Poor People Intolerance or PPI as we call it. Request PPI seating (at no extra charge to yourself as you are special and have special needs, but needs you should not have to pay for because you are special)

Welcome to Biz Class....
Old May 6, 2011, 11:21 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
...being stuck in a seat that is physically impossible to fit into...
What do you do for taxi/takeoff/landing if it is physically impossible to fit into the assigned seat?
Old May 6, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is inapplicable onboard commercial airplanes. The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) does apply onboard, but excessive height is NOT a disability.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
My brother is 6'9", plus a big guy. He now has to buy 2 seats if he wants to fly internationally. Before last year he got upgraded on most flights to First or Business.
I'm 6'2" and 260LB, have a hard time on flights to Europe with no free upgrades.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:05 pm

Go to your doctor and ask for some Ativan. It will make flying much easier. They are usually prescribed in 1mg tabs, but 2mg per flight is what I need. Ativan is better than the other benzos like Valium because it has an 8-10 hour half life, so no hangover.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
With the exception of paying the $4,000 or whatever for 1st class I am fine paying for a little extra leg room. Is it possible to pay for exit row? I have never seen that as an option
More like $6,000++
Old May 7, 2011, 8:34 am

As someone who is 6'5" and has suffered through exactly the same misery as the OP, I'd like to make a proposal to DL:

Instead of a more expensive comfort section for tall people, why not develop a cheaper section for short people? Call it Economy Minus, and give a $25-50 discount to people who don't mind having a little less leg and shoulder room. Use the excess space freed up for the comfort of the rest of the passengers. Problem solved.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I don't fly Delta, but when you check in online for the first flight, won't that check you in for all of your legs? That would then give you the option of changing your seat, buying extra legroom or an upgrade. When I took 6'3" Mr. P1 to Europe last year I made sure we checked in exactly at T24 so we could grab the better seats. The fee wasnt bad, especially as we had several feet in front of us before the bulkhead.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Princess1
I don't fly Delta, but when you check in online for the first flight, won't that check you in for all of your legs? That would then give you the option of changing your seat, buying extra legroom or an upgrade. When I took 6'3" Mr. P1 to Europe last year I made sure we checked in exactly at T24 so we could grab the better seats. The fee wasnt bad, especially as we had several feet in front of us before the bulkhead.
On DL, the bulkhead seats are held for the gate agent, not at OLCI. For a non-elite friend of mine, she had to wait until T-3 or something to get a better seat (those reserved for elites) on a DL flight to BOS last month.

For domestic flights, once the elite upgrade windows open, some better seats may come open but, as I said, not the bulkheads, etc.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Actually, the solution is the same. Buy a second seat so you can pivot and extend your legs. After you buy it, call DL or when you get to the airport have the GA assign you two adjacent seats, which could involve moving you to a blocked row or (less ideally) bumping someone from their seat.

As an added bonus, you earn miles on both seats. This may or may not be cheaper than just buying J outright.
Old May 7, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
An idea you might consider...

Try contacting Delta.assist via twitter or Facebook. They are usually very helpful and respond quickly.

No guarantees, and it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.