10yr. Anniversary

Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DLFan2
FRU via SU
Now we're talking!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm going to say Fiji with KE if you get to one of the smaller isolated islands like Qamea. One of the most untouched, least touristy destinations. Reefs are pristine.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mudbug31
Now we're talking!
It's closer to Shangri-la than Fiji or Tahiti!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by thetagirl99
seychelles via AF - gorgeous! - assuming you also have hotel points to use.
+1

But it is a long way there. I am not sure relaxing would include the trip.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Not tropical but still an exotic island.....

....Gotland in Sweden. It's a long ferry ride or short plane ride from Stockholm.

Stop reading now if you are planning this trip for the winter.

Gotland, and its walled city, Visby, are lovely and charming:

Remnants of the Vikings and of the Hanseatic League trading center that Visby was in the middle ages. Fun to explore on foot but not big enough to be exhausting.
Beaches with swans swimming in the Baltic.
Flowers everywhere.
Countryside scenery with bike paths all over the island.
Medieval churches, some in ruins, scattered around the city and the countryside.

Another place to consider in Europe is Malta. I've not been there myself but it sounds lovely from what I've read. Like Gotland you get a great combination of history and beaches, but in a warmer climate than Gotland.

Easier and less expensive to fly to than the South Pacific: XXX-AMS-ARN. You can spend a couple of days in Stockholm, then on to Visby.

Another European island area to consider is Malta. I've not been there myself but, like Gotland, it has a combination of history and beaches, with a warmer climate.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Apr 13, 2011 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
....Gotland in Sweden. It's a long ferry ride or short plane ride from Stockholm.

Stop reading now if you are planning this trip for the winter.

Gotland, and its walled city, Visby, are lovely and charming:

Remnants of the Vikings and of the Hanseatic League trading center that Visby was in the middle ages. Fun to explore on foot but not big enough to be exhausting.
Beaches with swans swimming in the Baltic.
Flowers everywhere.
Countryside scenery with bike paths all over the island.
Medieval churches, some in ruins, scattered around the city and the countryside.
Can't argue with that. Heja Sverige!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
OP, if you forego a tropical beach resort, I have two more suggestions (besides Gotland) for exotic, charming, low-key, slightly off-the-beaten-path destinations:

Luang Prabang, Laos

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Of course, there's always Paris. Beautiful, romantic, and, yes, relaxing because it takes so little effort to be entertained there. Just sit in a cafe or walk down any street and there will be something interesting to see.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Whenever these questions come up I stress Spain. Barcelona is a gorgeous city and there are some nice beaches in the area. Plus Lisbon is an hour flight away and gives you a chance to check out another country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.