Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
LHR is a big place and terminals are not connected airside. Airside transfers are done by bus. Landside transfers can be made via the free Heathrow Connect train to T1/2/3. To get from T4 to T5, you can either take train and transfer at T1/2/3 or, depending on timing, use the local bus (free) from T4 to T5.

All Delta Flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 3:
Check in for DL flights departing LHR T3 is in the same area of the terminal used by VS. This is the southside of the T3 check in area - if looking straight on at the building, go to the left. Business, DM, and PM can use the Upper Class Check in area.

Boston:
DL 58: BOS-LHR...A332.
DL 59: LHR-BOS...A332 (Arrives at Terminal E).

New York:
DL 401: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 402: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 403: JFK-LHR...A332.

DL1: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL2: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL3: LHR-JFK...A332.

Atlanta:
DL 30: ATL-LHR...A332.
DL 32: ATL-LHR...A333.

DL 31: LHR-ATL...A332.
DL 33: LHR-ATL...A333.

Detroit:
DL 16: DTW-LHR...A332.
DL 18: DTW-LHR...B763.

DL 17: LHR-DTW...A332.
DL 19: LHR-DTW...B763.

Minneapolis:
DL 10: MSP-LHR...B763.

DL 11: LHR-MSP...B763.

Philadelphia: No longer operates.
DL 194: PHL-LHR...75W.
DL 195: LHR-PHL...75W.

Seattle: Now operated by VS.
DL 4349: SEA-LHR...B789.
DL 4348: LHR-SEA...B789.

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad nauseam on the forum.

Comfort+ - LINK

764:
The J the configuration is 1-2-1. If traveling with a companion, the two middle seats work well, as they're next to each other. With the window seats, the seat console is between the passenger and the aisle on the odd seats, minimizing being bumped by someone in the aisle. Some people do not like the forward seats (1-3) due to galley noise while others like these seats for their privacy.

For Y seats, row 30 (exit row) has tons of space. Comfort+ are rows 15-18. Row 15 is the bulkhead C+ seat - opinions vary, but the legroom here is not as good as on the 763. Refer to the C+ FAQ for pictures.

763:
The 763s on this route are the modified a/c with lie flat J seats. The rows with C+ on the 76Ws typically used on LHR flights are 16-21.

DL Forum 763 Mod Tracking (lots of info on seats) - LINK

Beginning in spring 2018, many of Delta's B767 flights to London were switched to A330s instead, which is generally thought to be a more comfortable aircraft type, especially in business class.

Want to see London on approach to LHR?
If you want the chance to get a good look at London when landing @ LHR (assuming the weather cooperates), sit on the right side of the a/c. If winds dictate landing patterns over the city, you'll see it from this side. Pics from one of my landings.

Immigration & Baggage Collection @ LHR

The FA's will provide a landing card for those with non EU/EEA passports. If you're staying in the UK, you'll need the address (hotel, residence, etc.) for your landing card. Passport control will request the landing card and your passport.

Upon deplaning, you will head to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) checkpoint if remaining in the UK or follow the purple "flight connections" signage if you have an onward flight from any LHR terminal.

If you are connecting, refer to the Heathrow website for details on other terminals and specific flight connections.

When flying BE, the FA's hand out FastTrack passes, which often speed the process of entering the UK, the immigration queues can take a while.
  • T3: As you enter the immigration hall, the UK/EU desks are immediately to your left, keep going straight. The entry to the non-EU passport queue will be ahead on the left and FastTrack will be directly ahead. Keep an eye on the regular queue because it's often faster than FastTrack (more agents).
  • T4: If looking at the UKBA desks, the FastTrack lane has been moved to the center of the passport control area and is in between the EU and non-EU passport queues. In the absence of a FastTrack card, I try to be prompt in getting to passport control...closer to the front, the better!

**Also, be sure to have a copy of your itinerary with you as border agents sometimes ask for evidence of your planned departure from the UK.

Baggage:
After clearing passport control, pax head downstairs to collect their baggage (T3 or T4). LHR baggage is generally pretty good and the priority tags work most of the time^. There are cash machines, vending machines, and restrooms in the baggage hall.

Upon collecting baggage, pax pass through customs and then enter the arrivals hall. Booked taxi courier drivers are often waiting across from the exit doors.
  • T3: As you exit customs into the arrivals hall, follow the lane around - the ramp to the Underground and Heathrow Connect/Express will be on the left. Hotel bus shuttles (Hoppa bus) and the taxi rank are also to the left and outside.
  • T4: Go to the left for the Heathrow Connect/Express trains and go to the right for Underground trains (The Underground (AKA the Tube) is the cheapest way into London via the Piccadilly Line; Heathrow Connect to Paddington with a few stops in between is in the middle; the Heathrow Express is the most expensive direct service to Paddington). Rental car and limousine desks are to the right. Rental car and hotel shuttle buses (Hotel Hoppa) are outside of the terminal - follow posted signs.

Baggage storage is also available outside of security.
  • T3: Left Luggage is near the WH Smith in the arrivals hall.
  • T4: Exit to the right and it is across from the escalators that go down to the Tube station.
It currently costs 5GBP/item for 0-4 hours, 11GBP/item for 4-24 hours storage, and 5GBP/item for each additional 24 hours.

Lounges:

Arrivals @ LHR T3:

D1, DM, and PM can use the VS Revivals Lounge on the mezzanine level. Unlike with departures lounges, DM and PM are not allowed to bring a guest along to the Revivals Lounge (unless flying in D1/Upper Class).

Departures:

LHR T3: Delta One passengers, DMs, and PMs have access to the VS Clubhouse lounge. DMs and PMs may bring one guest who is traveling on the same flight. A 3rd party lounge (the "No. 1 Traveller" Lounge) is offered to GM traveling in economy or Premium Economy.

NOTE: Although the dl.com Sky Club Locations page states that Sky Club members get access to the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, I've had agents at the desk there tell me that my SC card does not matter and my ST Elite+ status is what gets me access unless flying in J.
FT Discussion:
Paid SC Member Denied Access to LHR Sky Team Lounge

Check in and security at LHR T4 (AF, KL, and other SkyTeam partners):
Check in for SkyPriority and J pax is at the desks used for SkyTeam pax.

As far as time for check in, Delta Check In Time Requirements. On that note, I have family (Medallions) who have checked in (with checked baggage) right at 60 minutes before the flight and made it through security and to the plane with a few minutes to spare.

FastTrack for the security checkpoint - The FT lane is to the left if looking at the main security queuing point. Pax flying in J can use FT. I have been able to use FT when flying in Y by showing my DM card. Not sure if it is the policy, but I last used it on March 2013 with no issue. Others have also reported success using the FT lane by showing their credentials.

NOTE: Increased security measures at LHR security checkpoints are creating delays - Email I received from DL LINK

If flying AF or KL from LHR, the latest check in time changes effective 1 Feb 2012: Changes to Latest Check-in Time at LHR on AF/KL
More discussion on London and the UK:
FT UK & Ireland Forum - LINK
UK Air Passenger Duty

DL paid ground transfer JFK-EWR/LGA on TATL flights - LINK

Delta and Virgin Atlantic (VS) Partnership:
dl.com: VIRGIN ATLANTIC PARTNERSHIP FAQS
FT thread: Delta Virgin Atlantic Partnership

NOTE: At LHR, DL and VS use T3 while other SkyTeam carriers use T4. These terminals are not connected air or landside.

VS Fare Classes:
VS fare classes do not align with DL fare classes. VS fare buckets:
Upper Class - J, C, D, I, Z, G (G is an award & upgrade fare class)
Premium Economy W, S, H, K, P
Economy Y, B, R, L, U, M, E, Q, X, V, N, O

Note that because Virgin Atlantic uses the same G fare class for both award tickets and upgrades, if using miles or GUCs to upgrade a Virgin Atlantic flight, it will be rebooked in G and may thus show up to Delta as ineligible for mileage earning with SkyMiles. This is incorrect, as upgraded tickets should earn miles based on the original coach ticket -- so if upgrading Virgin Atlantic flights, pay close attention to your SkyMiles earning and be ready to follow up with Delta to get the miles credited correctly.

dl.com - earning miles on VS (VS is a Tier 1 partner.): LINK

Medallion Benefits flying on VS (DM, PM, GM):
- Priority Check-In
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Priority Security
- Priority Boarding
- Baggage fee waiver for one additional piece up to 23kg (~50lbs)
- VS Clubhouse access with a same-day TATL flight on DL or VS (GMs: only at BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, not LGW/LHR; PM have access at LGW, but not LHR unless in J; DM have access at LGW and LHR)

NOTE: VS J pax (and presumably Medallions) are now eligible for Fast Track security for connections, departures, and arrivals at LHR T3: LINK.

Clubhouse (Lounge) Access:

DL/VS J passengers get access to VS Clubhouse lounges at LGW/LHR and BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO with a same-day TATL flight on either DL or VS.

GM in W or Y have access to the BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO lounges but not LGW/LHR.

DM or PM in W or Y may use the LGW and LHR Clubhouse lounges as well as BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, and may bring 1 guest traveling on the same flight with them.

DM/PM/GM in W or Y at LHR T3 have access to "No. 1 Traveller" lounge instead of, (for DMs in addition to), the VS Clubhouse.

LHR T3:
al330729's pics from the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3 - LINK

JFK:
As a DM flying JFK-LHR, I was able to use the VS Clubhouse at JFK. For pics, please see:
- Lounge - LINK
- Food - LINK
- Showers/Spa - LINK

VS Revivals (Arrivals) Lounge at LHR T3:
alee0729 had no issues accessing the VS Revivals Lounge following a DL arrival into T3. Shower pic - LINK

On Dec. 21, 2013, I stopped by the Revivals Lounge to get clarification on access for DL Medallion members. Per the agent, only pax flying Upper Class (Business) can currently access the lounge due to space issues; DL Medallion status does not = access. This may change once some DL flights start using T3 in Spring 2014.

Upgrading on VS-Operated Flights:
Virgin Atlantic Code Share Flight Questions
Using SM to Upgrade on VS

Access to Extra Leg Room Seats / Exit Rows on VS-operated Flights:
Possible Improvements to the DL-VS Relationship
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Flying to London on DL

Old May 20, 2017, 6:46 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The current policy is that Delta GM/PM in Y or C+ can use the No.1 Lounge. It's possible by august they expand clubhouse access to PM but it's doubtful.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mridley2
We are traveling in Comfort+ on delta metal in each direction.

At JFK yes I will have sky club access as Skyteam Elite plus on intl itinerary plus 1 companion.

My question is on the return. What if any lounge access will i and my companion have at LHR T3?
At JFK, you can use the DL SC or Virgin Clubhouse.

LHR T3, the No. 1 Lounge is your only option.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Ill be arriving LHR T3 in the am 5/31 flying with the mrs in D1 service.

Using the FA provided fast pass, what line/lane should we look for to get in the correct lane for US passport checks? on the left or right hand side??

Is it much of a haul with roller bags from the arrival gate.

Any chance we can flag down a buggy or will that just slow us down looking for one?

of lesser importance at this time we'll be using VS UC on the return and wonder how much hassle we can expect with electronics/ readers/laptops etc. in our luggage in the security screening lanes for UC passengers?
Old May 29, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

Using the FA provided fast pass, what line/lane should we look for to get in the correct lane for US passport checks? on the left or right hand side??

Any chance we can flag down a buggy or will that just slow us down looking for one?
It'll be obvious. When I was there a couple weeks ago it was the far right lane with two people "guarding" the entrance to the line and taking the fast pass cards.

I would say it took us about 5-7 minutes to walk over from the plane. The signage is clear just a couple places that peel off for other terminals / connections / etc. Can't recall what gate we arrived at though. Seemed similar to other airports I've been to - didn't stick out as a particularly long walk.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:33 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

of lesser importance at this time we'll be using VS UC on the return and wonder how much hassle we can expect with electronics/ readers/laptops etc. in our luggage in the security screening lanes for UC passengers?
Unless things have recently changed, the fast track line is at the far end from where you enter the passport control hall. It is very clearly signed, you will not have a problem.

The walk will likely be significant -- most gates are at least a 5-10 minute walk (walking briskly) to passport control. There are some motorized carts with drivers around, not sure how you get one. Depending where you start from, there are also some moving walkways, but some gates do require a decent hike without any. If you are just thinking of a cart for the bags, I don't think those are available at all until after you get through to the baggage claim area.

On the return trip, the security screening staff are generally very polite and helpful, unlike many TSA agents in the US, but they are also extremely, extremely strict about the rules -- they are very strict about needing to remove your baggie of liquids and place that in the bin separately, for example, while in the US that rule is often ignored these days. You will certainly need to remove laptops and other electronics, but there will also be a security agent right behind the belt as you are unpacking who will help you and give you the latest rundown of whatever you may need to remove for separate screening.

None of this will be much different in the UC line than the other lines, except that there usually isn't too much of a wait for the UC line, so there will be less pressure to feel like you need to rush to tear your bags apart.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

It depends on the gate you arrive. It could be short or long. The buggies are only for disabled passengers and there's normally a wait even if you had properly requested one before takeoff.

Electronics aren't a problem leaving from the UK. Make sure to get dropped off at the UC drop off if arriving by car/limo/taxi. If you come by tube or bus once you enter the terminal find your way to the door for the UC check-in. Beyond checking your luggage, there's a dedicated security lane.

If you need to wait a bit for hotel Check-in upon arrival you can use the VS arrivals lounge.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Clubcarlson Silver
On a recent trip back from LHR T3 to DTW, the check-in agent told me that starting June 1st, 2017, Delta DM and PM will have access to the departure VS Clubhouse while GM's will continue to have access to No.1 Lounge.
Will be interesting to see if anyone else has heard the same news.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by atl_gsp
On a recent trip back from LHR T3 to DTW, the check-in agent told me that starting June 1st, 2017, Delta DM and PM will have access to the departure VS Clubhouse while GM's will continue to have access to No.1 Lounge.
DMs have had access to the Clubhouse again for a few months.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'll be flying out of LHR in early July. Am I better off using the Virgin clubhouse or Club Aspire if I have access? I haven't seen Club Aspire reviewed yet.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:48 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'll be flying out of LHR in early July. Am I better off using the Virgin clubhouse or Club Aspire if I have access? I haven't seen Club Aspire reviewed yet.
The Virgin Clubhouse is one of the best lounges in the world (I'd even rate it as such among First Class lounges) and the best lounge at LHR. There is no reason not to use it if you have access.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bgriff
The Virgin Clubhouse is one of the best lounges in the world (I'd even rate it as such among First Class lounges) and the best lounge at LHR. There is no reason not to use it if you have access.
Thanks! The reviews of it are all great. In the past I've always used the T4 skyteam lounge since that's where DTW flights used to fly out from and was happy with that and I heard the Virgin clubhouse is a lot better
Old May 30, 2017, 11:10 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Many thanks for the replies. I shall return the favor for others after I try out some of these routes.

Since we have onward rail connections we wont be stopping in the arrivals lounge. Instead we expect to exit the customs hall sluffing roll-on bags and go past the arrivals lounge looking for the exit down to the Heathrow express.

We have some some sort of paper printout with a bar code on it hoping that's all we need get on board the express to Paddington.. The wife is keen on tacking a taxi from Paddington to Euston because of the bags.

At Euston I have yet another printout ticket with a bar code on it good for our first Cl Virgin passage on to Chester.

I'm in need of getting a two-together rail pass and multiple onward rail journey FAST Ticket printouts of previously paid bookings om the Virgin East IT site. I assume I have to do this at a main station ticket site like Euston?

Is there any chance that the Euston station Virgin first Cl lounge can do any of this? issue ticket, rail cards etc. ?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:48 pm

Time to update the wiki:

Access to Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in London-Heathrow Now for Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...now-for-d.html
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by atl_gsp
Confirmed by my post above. Apologies -- didn't see this before.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
We have some some sort of paper printout with a bar code on it hoping that's all we need get on board the express to Paddington.. The wife is keen on tacking a taxi from Paddington to Euston because of the bags.

At Euston I have yet another printout ticket with a bar code on it good for our first Cl Virgin passage on to Chester.

I'm in need of getting a two-together rail pass and multiple onward rail journey FAST Ticket printouts of previously paid bookings om the Virgin East IT site. I assume I have to do this at a main station ticket site like Euston?

Is there any chance that the Euston station Virgin first Cl lounge can do any of this? issue ticket, rail cards etc. ?
All you need do is show the page with the barcode on it to the ticket collector on the Heathrow Express train, if you bought a round trip, the same page will be scanned for your return trip.

Definitely use a taxi between Paddington and Euston. Schlepping bags up and down stairs in the Underground is not fun.

I just went through Euston two days ago and they have ticket machines that I believe you can use to get your tickets. Or use a ticket window. I used the Virgin First lounge but not for anything but to work on my laptop and grab a coffee so I'm not sure they can print them for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.