Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
LHR is a big place and terminals are not connected airside. Airside transfers are done by bus. Landside transfers can be made via the free Heathrow Connect train to T1/2/3. To get from T4 to T5, you can either take train and transfer at T1/2/3 or, depending on timing, use the local bus (free) from T4 to T5.

All Delta Flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 3:
Check in for DL flights departing LHR T3 is in the same area of the terminal used by VS. This is the southside of the T3 check in area - if looking straight on at the building, go to the left. Business, DM, and PM can use the Upper Class Check in area.

Boston:
DL 58: BOS-LHR...A332.
DL 59: LHR-BOS...A332 (Arrives at Terminal E).

New York:
DL 401: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 402: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 403: JFK-LHR...A332.

DL1: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL2: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL3: LHR-JFK...A332.

Atlanta:
DL 30: ATL-LHR...A332.
DL 32: ATL-LHR...A333.

DL 31: LHR-ATL...A332.
DL 33: LHR-ATL...A333.

Detroit:
DL 16: DTW-LHR...A332.
DL 18: DTW-LHR...B763.

DL 17: LHR-DTW...A332.
DL 19: LHR-DTW...B763.

Minneapolis:
DL 10: MSP-LHR...B763.

DL 11: LHR-MSP...B763.

Philadelphia: No longer operates.
DL 194: PHL-LHR...75W.
DL 195: LHR-PHL...75W.

Seattle: Now operated by VS.
DL 4349: SEA-LHR...B789.
DL 4348: LHR-SEA...B789.

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad nauseam on the forum.

Comfort+ - LINK

764:
The J the configuration is 1-2-1. If traveling with a companion, the two middle seats work well, as they're next to each other. With the window seats, the seat console is between the passenger and the aisle on the odd seats, minimizing being bumped by someone in the aisle. Some people do not like the forward seats (1-3) due to galley noise while others like these seats for their privacy.

For Y seats, row 30 (exit row) has tons of space. Comfort+ are rows 15-18. Row 15 is the bulkhead C+ seat - opinions vary, but the legroom here is not as good as on the 763. Refer to the C+ FAQ for pictures.

763:
The 763s on this route are the modified a/c with lie flat J seats. The rows with C+ on the 76Ws typically used on LHR flights are 16-21.

DL Forum 763 Mod Tracking (lots of info on seats) - LINK

Beginning in spring 2018, many of Delta's B767 flights to London were switched to A330s instead, which is generally thought to be a more comfortable aircraft type, especially in business class.

Want to see London on approach to LHR?
If you want the chance to get a good look at London when landing @ LHR (assuming the weather cooperates), sit on the right side of the a/c. If winds dictate landing patterns over the city, you'll see it from this side. Pics from one of my landings.

Immigration & Baggage Collection @ LHR

The FA's will provide a landing card for those with non EU/EEA passports. If you're staying in the UK, you'll need the address (hotel, residence, etc.) for your landing card. Passport control will request the landing card and your passport.

Upon deplaning, you will head to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) checkpoint if remaining in the UK or follow the purple "flight connections" signage if you have an onward flight from any LHR terminal.

If you are connecting, refer to the Heathrow website for details on other terminals and specific flight connections.

When flying BE, the FA's hand out FastTrack passes, which often speed the process of entering the UK, the immigration queues can take a while.
  • T3: As you enter the immigration hall, the UK/EU desks are immediately to your left, keep going straight. The entry to the non-EU passport queue will be ahead on the left and FastTrack will be directly ahead. Keep an eye on the regular queue because it's often faster than FastTrack (more agents).
  • T4: If looking at the UKBA desks, the FastTrack lane has been moved to the center of the passport control area and is in between the EU and non-EU passport queues. In the absence of a FastTrack card, I try to be prompt in getting to passport control...closer to the front, the better!

**Also, be sure to have a copy of your itinerary with you as border agents sometimes ask for evidence of your planned departure from the UK.

Baggage:
After clearing passport control, pax head downstairs to collect their baggage (T3 or T4). LHR baggage is generally pretty good and the priority tags work most of the time^. There are cash machines, vending machines, and restrooms in the baggage hall.

Upon collecting baggage, pax pass through customs and then enter the arrivals hall. Booked taxi courier drivers are often waiting across from the exit doors.
  • T3: As you exit customs into the arrivals hall, follow the lane around - the ramp to the Underground and Heathrow Connect/Express will be on the left. Hotel bus shuttles (Hoppa bus) and the taxi rank are also to the left and outside.
  • T4: Go to the left for the Heathrow Connect/Express trains and go to the right for Underground trains (The Underground (AKA the Tube) is the cheapest way into London via the Piccadilly Line; Heathrow Connect to Paddington with a few stops in between is in the middle; the Heathrow Express is the most expensive direct service to Paddington). Rental car and limousine desks are to the right. Rental car and hotel shuttle buses (Hotel Hoppa) are outside of the terminal - follow posted signs.

Baggage storage is also available outside of security.
  • T3: Left Luggage is near the WH Smith in the arrivals hall.
  • T4: Exit to the right and it is across from the escalators that go down to the Tube station.
It currently costs 5GBP/item for 0-4 hours, 11GBP/item for 4-24 hours storage, and 5GBP/item for each additional 24 hours.

Lounges:

Arrivals @ LHR T3:

D1, DM, and PM can use the VS Revivals Lounge on the mezzanine level. Unlike with departures lounges, DM and PM are not allowed to bring a guest along to the Revivals Lounge (unless flying in D1/Upper Class).

Departures:

LHR T3: Delta One passengers, DMs, and PMs have access to the VS Clubhouse lounge. DMs and PMs may bring one guest who is traveling on the same flight. A 3rd party lounge (the "No. 1 Traveller" Lounge) is offered to GM traveling in economy or Premium Economy.

NOTE: Although the dl.com Sky Club Locations page states that Sky Club members get access to the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, I've had agents at the desk there tell me that my SC card does not matter and my ST Elite+ status is what gets me access unless flying in J.
FT Discussion:
Paid SC Member Denied Access to LHR Sky Team Lounge

Check in and security at LHR T4 (AF, KL, and other SkyTeam partners):
Check in for SkyPriority and J pax is at the desks used for SkyTeam pax.

As far as time for check in, Delta Check In Time Requirements. On that note, I have family (Medallions) who have checked in (with checked baggage) right at 60 minutes before the flight and made it through security and to the plane with a few minutes to spare.

FastTrack for the security checkpoint - The FT lane is to the left if looking at the main security queuing point. Pax flying in J can use FT. I have been able to use FT when flying in Y by showing my DM card. Not sure if it is the policy, but I last used it on March 2013 with no issue. Others have also reported success using the FT lane by showing their credentials.

NOTE: Increased security measures at LHR security checkpoints are creating delays - Email I received from DL LINK

If flying AF or KL from LHR, the latest check in time changes effective 1 Feb 2012: Changes to Latest Check-in Time at LHR on AF/KL
More discussion on London and the UK:
FT UK & Ireland Forum - LINK
UK Air Passenger Duty

DL paid ground transfer JFK-EWR/LGA on TATL flights - LINK

Delta and Virgin Atlantic (VS) Partnership:
dl.com: VIRGIN ATLANTIC PARTNERSHIP FAQS
FT thread: Delta Virgin Atlantic Partnership

NOTE: At LHR, DL and VS use T3 while other SkyTeam carriers use T4. These terminals are not connected air or landside.

VS Fare Classes:
VS fare classes do not align with DL fare classes. VS fare buckets:
Upper Class - J, C, D, I, Z, G (G is an award & upgrade fare class)
Premium Economy W, S, H, K, P
Economy Y, B, R, L, U, M, E, Q, X, V, N, O

Note that because Virgin Atlantic uses the same G fare class for both award tickets and upgrades, if using miles or GUCs to upgrade a Virgin Atlantic flight, it will be rebooked in G and may thus show up to Delta as ineligible for mileage earning with SkyMiles. This is incorrect, as upgraded tickets should earn miles based on the original coach ticket -- so if upgrading Virgin Atlantic flights, pay close attention to your SkyMiles earning and be ready to follow up with Delta to get the miles credited correctly.

dl.com - earning miles on VS (VS is a Tier 1 partner.): LINK

Medallion Benefits flying on VS (DM, PM, GM):
- Priority Check-In
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Priority Security
- Priority Boarding
- Baggage fee waiver for one additional piece up to 23kg (~50lbs)
- VS Clubhouse access with a same-day TATL flight on DL or VS (GMs: only at BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, not LGW/LHR; PM have access at LGW, but not LHR unless in J; DM have access at LGW and LHR)

NOTE: VS J pax (and presumably Medallions) are now eligible for Fast Track security for connections, departures, and arrivals at LHR T3: LINK.

Clubhouse (Lounge) Access:

DL/VS J passengers get access to VS Clubhouse lounges at LGW/LHR and BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO with a same-day TATL flight on either DL or VS.

GM in W or Y have access to the BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO lounges but not LGW/LHR.

DM or PM in W or Y may use the LGW and LHR Clubhouse lounges as well as BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, and may bring 1 guest traveling on the same flight with them.

DM/PM/GM in W or Y at LHR T3 have access to "No. 1 Traveller" lounge instead of, (for DMs in addition to), the VS Clubhouse.

LHR T3:
al330729's pics from the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3 - LINK

JFK:
As a DM flying JFK-LHR, I was able to use the VS Clubhouse at JFK. For pics, please see:
- Lounge - LINK
- Food - LINK
- Showers/Spa - LINK

VS Revivals (Arrivals) Lounge at LHR T3:
alee0729 had no issues accessing the VS Revivals Lounge following a DL arrival into T3. Shower pic - LINK

On Dec. 21, 2013, I stopped by the Revivals Lounge to get clarification on access for DL Medallion members. Per the agent, only pax flying Upper Class (Business) can currently access the lounge due to space issues; DL Medallion status does not = access. This may change once some DL flights start using T3 in Spring 2014.

Upgrading on VS-Operated Flights:
Virgin Atlantic Code Share Flight Questions
Using SM to Upgrade on VS

Access to Extra Leg Room Seats / Exit Rows on VS-operated Flights:
Possible Improvements to the DL-VS Relationship
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Flying to London on DL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
...Fast Track makes a big difference. Once I was traveling with non-medallion friends who were in regular economy. It took them 30-45 minutes to catch up with me in baggage claim, where I was waiting with all our bags.
+1. I just returned from London and had Fast Track since we were in D1. Sunday morning about 7:00 a.m. or so and the lines were unbelievable -- I overheard several people saying it was the worst they'd ever seen there. But with Fast Track we were through in a few minutes. So ask, beg, plead or do whatever you can to get one of those cards if possible!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:57 am

PM flying PE on VS to LHR for the first time from SFO. Will I get access to the VS Clubhouse? Any other tips/tricks I should know about? Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by azdmelani
PM flying PE on VS to LHR for the first time from SFO. Will I get access to the VS Clubhouse? Any other tips/tricks I should know about? Thanks!
No access at LHR. You'll get to use the No 1 Lounge. DM just started getting to use the LHR Clubhouse again, so PM may get to soon. You can use the lounge at SFO though, just not LHR.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No access at LHR. You'll get to use the No 1 Lounge. DM just started getting to use the LHR Clubhouse again, so PM may get to soon. You can use the lounge at SFO though, just not LHR.
Great, thank you! I was more concerned about SFO (will have some time to kill there). Good info for LHR too- unless it happens in the next three weeks I will stick to the #1 lounge.

Was reading through this thread and will be on a bit of a time crunch to get to the hotel and change before getting into the office- I should ask for a fast track pass on the flight?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by azdmelani
Great, thank you! I was more concerned about SFO (will have some time to kill there). Good info for LHR too- unless it happens in the next three weeks I will stick to the #1 lounge.

Was reading through this thread and will be on a bit of a time crunch to get to the hotel and change before getting into the office- I should ask for a fast track pass on the flight?
Yes, you should definitely ask for a Fast Track pass. The FAs hand them out to all in UC but will give you ask. I'm also PM and have never had a problem getting the card when I fly in VS PE. It might be a good alternative to going to your hotel before the office.

Also, as a PM you can access the VS arrivals lounge (called Revivals) in LHR. It has showers and decent breakfast food.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:28 pm

Yes, you should definitely ask for a Fast Track pass. The FAs hand them out to all in UC but will give you ask. I'm also PM and have never had a problem getting the card when I fly in VS PE. It might be a good alternative to going to your hotel before the office.

Also, as a PM you can access the VS arrivals lounge (called Revivals) in LHR. It has showers and decent breakfast food.
Good to know, thanks!!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:19 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Updated the Wikipost with the latest set of LHR lounge access rules. DL has updated the VS partner page to reflect the changes, and they were also included in the email I got from DL about SEA changing over from DL metal to VS metal and how great it will be for me as a DM.

Recap of the current rules:

Revivals Lounge access on arriving at LHR is available to Delta One or Upper Class customers, as well as DMs and PMs in other cabins. No guests.

Virgin Clubhouse access departing LHR is available to Delta One/Upper Class passengers as well as DMs in other cabins. DMs may bring one guest.

No. 1 Lounge access departing LHR is available to GM/PM/DMs in all cabins. Guest access isn't clear from the phrasing on the DL website (the "DM/PM/GM may bring one guest" comes after the Clubhouse info for all airports but before the No.1 Lounge info).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Updated the Wikipost with the latest set of LHR lounge access rules. DL has updated the VS partner page to reflect the changes, and they were also included in the email I got from DL about SEA changing over from DL metal to VS metal and how great it will be for me as a DM.

Recap of the current rules:

Revivals Lounge access on arriving at LHR is available to Delta One or Upper Class customers, as well as DMs and PMs in other cabins. No guests.

Virgin Clubhouse access departing LHR is available to Delta One/Upper Class passengers as well as DMs in other cabins. DMs may bring one guest.

No. 1 Lounge access departing LHR is available to GM/PM/DMs in all cabins. Guest access isn't clear from the phrasing on the DL website (the "DM/PM/GM may bring one guest" comes after the Clubhouse info for all airports but before the No.1 Lounge info).
Does this mean I can't pay $29 with my AMEX Delta Gold card? ( like JFK SC) I have no status.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Does this mean I can't pay $29 with my AMEX Delta Gold card? ( like JFK SC) I have no status.
You cannot. That can only be used at actual Delta SkyClubs.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by WWads
You cannot. That can only be used at actual Delta SkyClubs.
But you can pay the 36 pound (can't locate the symbol on my little iPad keyboard) fee that the No 1 Club charges.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG-Gold
Question about "Registered Traveller." from a US passport holder.

I am flying to London in July (SLC-LHR) in D1, so I will get the fast track to clear through UK border and customs.

During the month in the UK, I have three separate weekend trips to Rome, Paris and Brussels. Would there be any benefit to being a "Registered Traveller" for reentry into the UK?

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by InsUW2
Question about "Registered Traveller." from a US passport holder.

I am flying to London in July (SLC-LHR) in D1, so I will get the fast track to clear through UK border and customs.

During the month in the UK, I have three separate weekend trips to Rome, Paris and Brussels. Would there be any benefit to being a "Registered Traveller" for reentry into the UK?

Thanks

Keep in mind you have to satisfy a specific number of visits to the UK (4 in 24 months) or hold a UK before you can apply for RT.

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
But you can pay the 36 pound (can't locate the symbol on my little iPad keyboard) fee that the No 1 Club charges.
Or pay Ł60 for the VS Clubhouse.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Just confirming what I have garnered from Tripadvisor, LHR website, and FT. I would appreciate a response of “yes you have it mostly right” or corrections.

Traveling from ATL to LHR on Delta and then on to Edinburgh via British Air.

I will be flying in DeltaOne (thank you GUC) from ATL in mid May on DL32 arriving on a Monday morning LHR at 11:05am into Terminal 3. My BA flight 1446 departs at 1:05pm (2 hours) T3B.

Upon departure, I must go through UK customs and immigration in T3 BEFORE heading off to Terminal 5 (A,B, or C but probably B, but any which way, I get to T5A and then walk to B). Correct?

Is there any expedited Delta One lanes for UK immigration in T3? Also, I am a DM and I read that DeltaOne booking will allow me use of the VA Clubhouse in T3, but probably no time. Correct?

I travel to T5 from T3 via a bus or a train from Central Station T3 (is one better than the other for an old man with bad knees?)

Once I get to T5, I will be in some sort of departure lounge looking for a notification on a big screen that I can proceed to my BA gate for my flight in which I have booked Club Europe class, which I guess is like Comfort+? Do I need to check in with BA (other than on my iPhone) or just off to the departure lounge and then the gate? How do I get from T5A to T5B?

For my return, my flight is DL33 on a Tuesday at 3:25pm. As I will be back in London I should plan on taking the Heathrow Express from Paddington Station to LHR T3 — about 4 hours before my return flight departure time and make my way to check in at Zone A in Terminal 3.

Or do I take the hard-to-find elevator up to the T3 VA Upper Class Wing lounge to check in (no baggage to check)?

I suspect a taxi will be too slow from central Monday (and expensive) but if I did, there is some provision for calling the Upper Class Wing and being cleared into some secret driveway to be dropped off? Is that worth it for bad knees over the Express train?

While in the VA lounge I should exemplify proper etiquette and manners as this is an “upper class” audience and not act like I am in the Skyclub near D12 in ATL.

I would appreciate any polite corrections or alternatives to the above, this to get me in the mood for London (not Scotland, I have other training plans for Scotland).

Thank you kindly,
CalRick
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by calrick
Just confirming what I have garnered from Tripadvisor, LHR website, and FT. I would appreciate a response of “yes you have it mostly right” or corrections.

Traveling from ATL to LHR on Delta and then on to Edinburgh via British Air.

I will be flying in DeltaOne (thank you GUC) from ATL in mid May on DL32 arriving on a Monday morning LHR at 11:05am into Terminal 3. My BA flight 1446 departs at 1:05pm (2 hours) T3B.

Upon departure, I must go through UK customs and immigration in T3 BEFORE heading off to Terminal 5 (A,B, or C but probably B, but any which way, I get to T5A and then walk to B). Correct?

Is there any expedited Delta One lanes for UK immigration in T3? Also, I am a DM and I read that DeltaOne booking will allow me use of the VA Clubhouse in T3, but probably no time. Correct?

I travel to T5 from T3 via a bus or a train from Central Station T3 (is one better than the other for an old man with bad knees?)

Once I get to T5, I will be in some sort of departure lounge looking for a notification on a big screen that I can proceed to my BA gate for my flight in which I have booked Club Europe class, which I guess is like Comfort+? Do I need to check in with BA (other than on my iPhone) or just off to the departure lounge and then the gate? How do I get from T5A to T5B?

For my return, my flight is DL33 on a Tuesday at 3:25pm. As I will be back in London I should plan on taking the Heathrow Express from Paddington Station to LHR T3 — about 4 hours before my return flight departure time and make my way to check in at Zone A in Terminal 3.

Or do I take the hard-to-find elevator up to the T3 VA Upper Class Wing lounge to check in (no baggage to check)?

I suspect a taxi will be too slow from central Monday (and expensive) but if I did, there is some provision for calling the Upper Class Wing and being cleared into some secret driveway to be dropped off? Is that worth it for bad knees over the Express train?

While in the VA lounge I should exemplify proper etiquette and manners as this is an “upper class” audience and not act like I am in the Skyclub near D12 in ATL.

I would appreciate any polite corrections or alternatives to the above, this to get me in the mood for London (not Scotland, I have other training plans for Scotland).

Thank you kindly,
CalRick
Is this on one ticket or separate? Makes a difference in process.

if on one ticket then upon arrival at T3 take the bus for connections to T5. Upon arrival at T5 you'll clear immigration/customs, get a BP, clear security and goto the lounge/gate.

Go here for information. http://www.heathrow.com/flight-conne...-APR-2017/5/9A

I just plugged in a random date, but thei information is correct

However if on separate tickets then process is different. DL doesn't check bags through on separate tickets. You can ask, and if they do then you can follow the above. However be prepared for a no, since that's DL policy.

In this case, you must clear immigration and customs at T3, pickup bags, catch the train, or
a taxi/bus to T5. Train is free, but if you have multiple bags taxi/business is better. Theres a free disability shuttle bus. However youll need to ask someone to request it. You then checkin with BA, drop off luggage (there's a special checkin for Business at LHR T5), go through security in time (this is recorded and you'll be offloaded if not through in time, and at gate by boarding. The T5 lounge is right after security. There's an underground train to bring you to the remote concourses. However it can be quicker to walk at times. If needed the lounge can arrange for a buggy to take you the whole way from lounge to gate.

At no point will you get access to the VS Clubhouse. Only passengers departing T3 can access it. You can access the VS arrival lounge, but remember that w/ flights from T5 there's strict cutoffs that must be met or you don't fly. This includes being through security X minutes before flight time.

For the return, you can either go by LHR Express or taxi/limo. If you have a bit of luggage take the taxi, especially with bad knees. (I know how that feels) The taxi can bring you to the VS Upper Class private drop-off. You can either call before to let them know, or upon arrival they'll ask the driver for your name and flight number. Once they look it up they'll open the secure gate to let you in.

Using the UC checkin allows you to not have to deal with lugging bags, they'll take them out of car and bring to the checkin desk. Also you'll be able to use the UC security lane.

Last edited by flyerCO; Apr 1, 2017 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.