Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Punish you Delta, DIAF!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Punish you Delta, DIAF!

I'm always quick, profile information is saved, and yes I was signed in but goddamnit! This hasn't happened too much since I can remember.

"Fare Change
The fare quoted earlier of $338.40 (USD) has changed. The new fare for this itinerary is $438.40 (USD). To continue your purchase click Continue. Otherwise click Start Over to return to the Reservations input screen and select different dates and times."

Ok, I go back and pick a new fare that is $375 with different routing...Guess what your fare has changed to $431.

Ok, I got back and search Delta.com again and I pick a different routing, Q bucket tickets. WAS-BOS for $408 and I go to purchase again and I get yet another thing saying your fare has changed to $491......., really.

I gave up after 3 tries since it was quite obvious that Delta changes inventory faster than I can put the 4 numbers in from my AMEX which is programmed in my head. I ended up calling the Diamond desk. Lady finds me a $375 flight, IAD-DTW-BOS-DCA. She goes to ticket me and says whoops the fare changed to $575....I'm so, so, soooo frustrated right now. I've purchased more tickets online than I can count and I never had this happen to me.

I was willing to pay and fly with you Delta but you effed with my emotions...you give me insufficient routing at awful times all while switching the price up. Now I'm flying the competition. USless Airways, they don't seem so useless right now. DCA-BOS nonstop, great timing, $356 all in. Peace.

*P.S. those of you that want to say more ugprades for me. DCA-JFK-BOS or DCA-BOS = no upgrades even available on the barbie jets.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I feel your pain. I love your tag line BTW.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
One thought -- try again in a day or two when the buckets change....

Bob H
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I feel your pain. I love your tag line BTW.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BobH
One thought -- try again in a day or two when the buckets change....

Bob H
I was thinking about gaming the system (next time I will) but I didn't even want to play with Delta any longer today. It was important that I got home this Friday. In my recent history of booking tickets on Delta out of DCA/IAD to BOS the tickets will price to Y,B,M for $1k+ or an awful Q or H ticket for $700-800, especially on a Friday as I need to be in Boston anytime before 6pm. It is almost Tuesday and I'll be nearing the 3day purchase window, rather not screw around.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Try an OTA. Sometimes if they have the lower price showing, it will end up going through successfully even if DL won't.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by krpjr
"Fare Change - - -
The fare quoted earlier of $338.40 (USD) has changed. The new fare for this itinerary is $438.40 (USD). To continue your purchase click Continue. . . . .

I gave up after 3 tries . . . . .
This has probably happened to ALL of us, at one time or another! It kind of bugs me that, we'd all like to see our favorite airline () succeed, but when you try'n pay them the amount of $$$ they ask for, then they rescind the offer and want MORE!!! UGH!!!!

Does this happen on any of the other airline websites?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:02 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Thumbs down

I hear you! This has gotten insane on DL lately. I was trying to book two TATL r/t a couple of days ago. Searched by schedule because I wanted to try out that AF 380. I build the itin, it showed all T for a perfect price. Clicked on purchase ... "We're experiencing some turbulence".

Did the whole thing again, all flights came up a Q now, price pretty much doubled but still within my limits. Clicked on purchase, "the fare has changed ..."! Tried it AGAIN and all segments came up as M for an more than insane price. I let that particular trip go just to encounter the very same on my other trip.

UACO ended up with two more revenue trips ...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
screen shots, letter to .com, twitter and facebook

and you can't believe what can be done.
(especially if you CC DOT or DOC).

Sadly, it happened sveral times during 2011, and no one at delta.com team seems to understand it has both reputation and legal contractual affects on the client-firm relations. But, do what I suggested above. I had to fight but I got my money back, and my miles back

If I were you, I would also email Theresia Wise and request her explanations.

EDIT TO ADD:
OK, based on the notes in this thread, I did another check on selected dates in April (TATL, CDG). I think there is a problem. Price jumps on me ~100 when I try booking, less than 60 seconds in the process, counted. Price for TATL RT increased from $1239 to $1339 (in another search it seems to be $1249 to $1339). I am going to send an email. Strongly encourage you to do the same

Last edited by DLroads; Mar 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Which is why Delta nicely puts this at the bottom of the page...

The advertised price is not an offer, and is subject to change prior to the completion of the purchase, which may take up to 3 minutes to verify seating availability at the advertised price and your credit card information, so please be patient. When you click PURCHASE, you agree to accept all Fare Rules for each flight and all terms in Delta's applicable Contract of Carriage and authorize Delta to charge your credit card. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that your credit card payment has been accepted.
I think it's total BS, but I guess in the world of online ticketing and inventory changing on a moments notice, they need to protect themselves.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
i've found that this happens to me consistently if the bucket i'm buying has availability of exactly 1. after seeing a jump from $132 to $285 a couple of times, i actually managed to buy a flight showing T1 yesterday by using the "purchase now" option instead of going thru all of the screens..
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This problem is happening A LOT lately. I've tried to book flights for April travel and am getting the same thing... DL booking engine gives a price then when I try to book, I either get an error and to call online tech support, or the price went up $150.

I've tried repeated times, waited a day, but with the same result. I guess one of their recent "technology tuneup" is the culprit... but this is borderline deceptive advertising. Sorry, the fare is not just selling out. Its your POS booking system that doesn't know w.t.f. it is doing.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by james318
Which is why Delta nicely puts this at the bottom of the page...

I think it's total BS, but I guess in the world of online ticketing and inventory changing on a moments notice, they need to protect themselves.
From what is being described above by other posters, it sounds more like a fairly wide spread bug rather than inventory changing. Not too dissimilar to how the fabled award calender can show "low" but dang it if you can actually book it half the time

If inventory changes, that's one thing. But if DL is (through system issues or otherwise) advertising fares for which at that time there isn't actually any fare bucket inventory available to allow booking of that fare - I'd say DOT would frown on this.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by SamuelS
From what is being described above by other posters, it sounds more like a fairly wide spread bug rather than inventory changing. Not too dissimilar to how the fabled award calender can show "low" but dang it if you can actually book it half the time

If inventory changes, that's one thing. But if DL is (through system issues or otherwise) advertising fares for which at that time there isn't actually any fare bucket inventory available to allow booking of that fare - I'd say DOT would frown on this.
I agreee it is a bug, but I think that language is their CYA. It's amazing the crap DL gets away with day after day.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:37 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by c_d
I hear you! This has gotten insane on DL lately. I was trying to book two TATL r/t a couple of days ago. Searched by schedule because I wanted to try out that AF 380. I build the itin, it showed all T for a perfect price. Clicked on purchase ... "We're experiencing some turbulence".

Did the whole thing again, all flights came up a Q now, price pretty much doubled but still within my limits. Clicked on purchase, "the fare has changed ..."! Tried it AGAIN and all segments came up as M for an more than insane price. I let that particular trip go just to encounter the very same on my other trip.

UACO ended up with two more revenue trips ...
I was hitting submit too quick. I failed to mention that at the very same time, the price for the exact itin remained the same on AF.com. I have read some rumor some time ago here on FT, in which someone suspected if you repeatedly search for a particular flight, it seems to go up in price. No clue whether that is actually true but I think I can definitely confirm those TATL price jumps from search to purchase.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
I failed to mention that at the very same time, the price for the exact itin remained the same on AF.com.
Inquiring minds wonder... why not book at AF.com then? I know that DL has issues with tickets issued by AF (e.g. in case of IROPS), but in light of all the frustration it would have been one way out. That or book another airline, of course

Originally Posted by c_d
I have read some rumor some time ago here on FT, in which someone suspected if you repeatedly search for a particular flight, it seems to go up in price.
I've often wondered about that. If you had the capability to log searches and find that particular flights are sought after on particular days, why not use that information to jack up the prices and of course, zero out any award availability (even the "super" HIGH seats that are actually available at 6.872 times the highest amount listed in the award chart)? It may not be an accurate measure of demand, but it can be an important variable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.