Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Wow - there has been a 4 month gap on the SHENA thread - perhaps she does not exist?
OR...gotten better at hiding...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
absence of observations is not the same thing as extinction of the species
Originally Posted by Burj
OR...gotten better at hiding...
True - to both statements
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Not sure but perhaps Sheena.....

So, I was trying to fly standby from DSM to MSP today on DL 3643 and was number 1 for 4 seats. 30 minutes later there were no seats and 4 employees were magically on the flight. I can't prove they didn't have tickets but the gate agent would not tell me what happened.

Well... Someone didn't show so I got on anyway. Problem solved.

Last edited by gaugeguy; Aug 28, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was there an IROPS at DSM yesterday or today? Could be positive space or must fly, perhaps mechanics flown down to fix a broken airplane.

However, it's hard to see why the GA couldn't just say that.

Were the employees in uniform? How do you know that they were DL employees?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was there an IROPS at DSM yesterday or today? Could be positive space or must fly, perhaps mechanics flown down to fix a broken airplane.

However, it's hard to see why the GA couldn't just say that.

Were the employees in uniform? How do you know that they were DL employees?
No IROPs at DSM, just lots of folks leaving a large Ag show. The employees were in uniform
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:28 pm

"...but the gate agent would not tell me what happened.

is it expected that a gate agent would give you details about other passengers? What is ok for the gate agent to tell someone else about your standby status? Seems presumptive that the gate agent should be obligated to give you any details about other passengers, whether they are in some airline uniform or not. No reason I can see why he would (for example) say that they had confirmed seats.

Not saying something fishy may not have occurred, but not sure what information about any other traveler is owed you.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by xooz
"...but the gate agent would not tell me what happened.

is it expected that a gate agent would give you details about other passengers? What is ok for the gate agent to tell someone else about your standby status? Seems presumptive that the gate agent should be obligated to give you any details about other passengers, whether they are in some airline uniform or not. No reason I can see why he would (for example) say that they had confirmed seats.

Not saying something fishy may not have occurred, but not sure what information about any other traveler is owed you.
I don't see anything in gaugeguy's post that indicates he was rude or pushy in his inquiry to the GA, or that he told the GA she was obligated to release any information.

I also see nothing in your post that indicates that there's any harm in asking.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Peatisback
This may or may not have been Shena:

On DL4634 today 8/17- after the safety announcements a couple moves from the back into 1C/D. They aren't in uniform but are very friendly with the FAs. The back/EC looks fairly full but the upgrade list won't show on the app. Seemed a little dodgey....
This may have been a weight and balance issue. I'm a FA and many times the pilots will call back after entering our passenger count (we have different sections of the plane and write how many PAX are in each) and have us move X number of people. Around 99% of the time it is to move PAX from the section c (the back section) to A (the front section). Hope that helps!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gaugeguy
So, I was trying to fly standby from DSM to MSP today on DL 3643 and was number 1 for 4 seats. 30 minutes later there were no seats and 4 employees were magically on the flight. I can't prove they didn't have tickets but the gate agent would not tell me what happened.

Well... Someone didn't show so I got on anyway. Problem solved.
I know for a fact it was a must fly situation. I know because one of the DL employees flying is a friend who flys for DL. He had to get back to MSP to work a flight and I know for a fact it was that flight he was on.

Sorry to disappoint, but generally if they're in uniform they're flying for work. There's no added benefit for wearing their uniform in terms of non-rev flights.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know for a fact it was a must fly situation. I know because one of the DL employees flying is a friend who flys for DL. He had to get back to MSP to work a flight and I know for a fact it was that flight he was on.

Sorry to disappoint, but generally if they're in uniform they're flying for work. There's no added benefit for wearing their uniform in terms of non-rev flights.
At some airports, crew in uniform are treated differently at TSA security, either with access to special lines for crew, being allowed to use VIP or handicapped lines, or being able to cut to the front of the line.

Also, often crew would wear uniforms when they're commuting for work (which is not the same as deadheading).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At some airports, crew in uniform are treated differently at TSA security, either with access to special lines for crew, being allowed to use VIP or handicapped lines, or being able to cut to the front of the line.

However in terms of getting on a plane it offers no added benefit, and I know my friend has stated they're advised not to wear uniform when off-duty

Also, often crew would wear uniforms when they're commuting for work (which is not the same as deadheading).

It might not be truly considered deadheading, but that isn't a non-rev standby either, they're generally required to be in uniform and in some cases will be must travel. Regardless being in uniform for a DL is a probable 90% they're traveling to/from work. If it's must travel is another question and one that is impossible to tell from a passenger point of view.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just met SHENA disguised as a lazy gate agent in Atlanta at T6 - Go say hi to her!

Flying to Dallas, made the upgrade 5 days out sitting in 2B enjoying a rare pre departure cocktail.

Gate agent comes on board and flight attendant tells her 1B is empty and gate agent tells her "just let it fly empty today. Is cabin secure?"

I noticed 25 people waiting for the upgrade on the flight today. A real shame a lazy gate agent didn't come pull someone from the back. I know the drill, they don't have to leave a seat empty is just poor business.

Shena was simply too exhausted today to do what is right. She did have time for a coke on the way off the plane. Hopefully that caffeine energizes her for her next SHENANIGAN.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Sep 5, 2014 at 6:03 am Reason: Merged into the existing master thread on the subject
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Report her to Delta.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
just did. I'm sure it will be a chain reply that makes no sense.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by muntz73
just did. I'm sure it will be a chain reply that makes no sense.
Dear Valued Customer,

We are sorry you are unhappy with Delta's boarding process. As an airline, we value your feedback and.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.