Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by kettle1
Who knows if this was a first time? I hope DL lawyers up. DL also should put this case on the internal DL website to show other employees what can happen if you abuse rules. These rules were put in place for a reason. There is no way DL would fire an employee without strong evidence. This case sounds like pure theft from her employer - Delta Airlines. I am glad to see DL stand up and fight her in court. If DL is 100% correct, which I am sure they are (or they would not have fired her), she gets ZERO, ZIP, Nothing.
Well, no. If the poster who said there is an anti-discrimination claim is correct, the employee could still win by showing that Delta has not fired other employees under similar circumstances.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
The (former) employee admits in her complaint that she improperly upgraded someone on at least two occasions She claims it was a common practice. This has the potential to be a fascinating case as other employees are questioned and records examined The complaint is quite a few pages in length - not sure it's possible to post - but it is available on Pacer.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it's good that she was caught and was fired, but it's discouraging, if true, that others also upgraded friends and family (rather than elites who were entitled to the upgrades) and were not fired.
Indeed, it is taxing on any employer when someone cheats the system. Of course it's discouraging when such taxing cheating hits the media, even if it doesn’t mean firing.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
IMO it's good that she was caught and was fired, but it's discouraging, if true, that others also upgraded friends and family (rather than elites who were entitled to the upgrades) and were not fired.
I'm wondering why you're now using this circumspect language ("if true") when you've been one of the quickest to pass judgement in cases in this thread that were much, much less cut and dried.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If this story is accurate, hopefully it'll mean the beginning of the end for upgrade shena.

It can't be that difficult to police. The elite upgrade list should process automatically. Any exception, such as someone being upgraded out of order, or a GA failing to clear someone to keep a seat open, should automatically be reported by the system to the station manager and/or someone at corporate.

If the GA has a good explanation, fine. If not, fired after the second incident. It's not that hard.

Hopefully this story will be enough to scare the bad apples straight. Full-time DL GA jobs are not easy to come by, and good luck getting hired by another airline after getting terminated under these circumstances.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, since these are desirable jobs, DL could fire those who misbehave and easily replace them with others, either from DL part time and ready reserve employees or by the usual hiring procedures.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah, since these are desirable jobs, DL could fire those who misbehave and easily replace them with others...
Agreed. GAs are a pretty expendable commodity. If you aren't doing your job, or doing it willfully incorrectly, cut bait and move on. There are plenty of other people out there who will do it better.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed. GAs are a pretty expendable commodity. If you aren't doing your job, or doing it willfully incorrectly, cut bait and move on. There are plenty of other people out there who will do it better.
However, I suspect that there's a lot of "learning by doing" with experienced GAs knowing a lot of tricks involving IROPs rebookings and how to fix problems.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by WWads
If this story is accurate....
The problem is that so much of what you read on this whole FT Forum is NOT accurate. Some what you read is factually false, some of it is not supported (maybe it's true or maybe it's not), some is pure speculation, and much is simply someone's wishful thinking disguised as "policy". If you believe ANYTHING you read on FT is true without doing independent verification, you do so at your own risk.

The recent report of an agent in South Carolina is a perfect example. Either the story is true, or it isn't. But is easy enough to confirm that.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103
The problem is that so much of what you read on this whole FT Forum is NOT accurate. Some what you read is factually false, some of it is not supported (maybe it's true or maybe it's not), some is pure speculation, and much is simply someone's wishful thinking disguised as "policy". If you believe ANYTHING you read on FT is true without doing independent verification, you do so at your own risk.

The recent report of an agent in South Carolina is a perfect example. Either the story is true, or it isn't. But is easy enough to confirm that.
How is it easy to confirm? The lawsuit becomes public record, but personnel decisions are confidential. Any settlement is likely to contain a confidentiality agreement. So we're likely only to know what her side claims when filing the lawsuit.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
I think I was a victim of Shena yesterday (9/4/17). SEA to PHX flight 5779 operated by compass. I was first on the upgrade list with one seat. Constantly checking to see if I cleared. Suddenly, the seat was gone. Upgrade list didn't show anyone cleared, but standby list showed a person cleared into 2D. I spoke to the Gate agent who said this was the first person on the upgrade list and must have jumped me at the last minute. Can anyone with ability check to see if 2D was a non-rev.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:36 am

I saw something today that looked like Shena regarding C+ "upgrades." For a domestic 737-900 flight, there were 70+ on the FC upgrade list and 32 on the C+ "upgrade" list. One person was "upgraded" to 10C and then a standby at the top of the list was assigned 10B. To me, it looked like 10B should have gone to the second person on the top of the C+ "upgrade" list rather than being given to some standby who wasn't yet cleared onto the flight.

OTOH if 10B had a ticket and confirmed reservation in W class on the flight but no seat assignment, then 10B should have been assigned the first (preferable) C+ seat, which was 10C.

I didn't see any indication that 10B was a broken seat, so I can't think of a scenario where it was right to put a standby into 10B after 10C was given as an upgrade.

This didn't affect me but it was something that I noticed, just as I was checking for what was observed a few days ago in another thread: the standby list shows everyone being given "main cabin" seats, even if they have seat numbers that correspond to D1, FC, or C+ rather than coach.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by FC flyer
...but standby list showed a person cleared into 2D. I spoke to the Gate agent who said this was the first person on the upgrade list and must have jumped me at the last minute. Can anyone with ability check to see if 2D was a non-rev.
It is possible for the person in 2D to have a higher medallion status, but what happened is not the normal procedure. Upgrades process before standbys, so you should have have had the upgrade - by normal practice but not necessarily by right. It may be permissible for a GA to look at the status of the people on standby and upgrade directly from that list. Probably a rare event because I have not been upgraded in the past when I do a same-day standby.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by FC flyer
I think I was a victim of Shena yesterday (9/4/17). SEA to PHX flight 5779 operated by compass. I was first on the upgrade list with one seat. Constantly checking to see if I cleared. Suddenly, the seat was gone. Upgrade list didn't show anyone cleared, but standby list showed a person cleared into 2D. I spoke to the Gate agent who said this was the first person on the upgrade list and must have jumped me at the last minute. Can anyone with ability check to see if 2D was a non-rev.
I've seen this happen quite a bit recently, and been bit by it once myself.

I think something has changed in the last few months when they started the push to close the door earlier. It seems like the gate agents get a lot of "discretion" in who they clear and how, as I've seen people clear straight off standby to FC more than once. It used to be as someone said, clear upgrade and then standby, but I'm not sure if that's still policy.

People can say SDS, standby for IRROPs passengers ticketed in FC etc, but this has happened after people on the upgrade list have already cleared so I'm a bit suspect as it would seem those people would get the seat *before* the upgrade list clears. It usually seems to happen after most people have boarded and the person who has been upgraded off the standby list looks not surprised to be in FC.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
[...]

This didn't affect me but it was something that I noticed, just as I was checking for what was observed a few days ago in another thread: the standby list shows everyone being given "main cabin" seats, even if they have seat numbers that correspond to D1, FC, or C+ rather than coach.
This reporting/alert function of the standby list seems to me to lend itself to upgrade shena. Unless, the passenger is willing to take a screen shot of the list and then send it to DL, most are not going to question their seat assignments.

I do BOS->RIC a fair amount these days and always find it odd that F and C+ are empty at T-24 and then suddenly full at T-30 minutes, with F and C+ seat assignments showing up under the Standby rather than UG list. I've also witnessed persons on the UG list passed up when not available at the podium after being called by the GAs in RIC. It's a short flight, but still...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.