Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:38 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Thanks for this information. Do you (or anyone else who has used this #) find that it is better than calling the Medallion line?
I have called after flights when I have had issues but never during. I loved the Red Coat at the gate tried to sell me that 8 people had bought tickets on the only flight of the day between PDX-NRT 5 hours after the departure time, I was always under the impression you can't buy seats after scheduled departure time anyway. He had no intention of giving me a seat that I paid 3400 for and used a SUG, it was meant for his buddies to get it. Glad the DM line and supervisor dropped the hammer and was having none of that. To take a line from the celebrity thread "Ain't nobody got time for that" - F. Flav
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond
It's very disturbing to me that a Red Coat participated in Shena...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Are you kidding? They're the Shena pit bosses.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tkey75
Are you kidding? They're the Shena pit bosses.
My bad... I always just picture it as mainly gate agents...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Redcoats generally start life with DL as GAs; think of them as empowered super GAs.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Thanks for this information. Do you (or anyone else who has used this #) find that it is better than calling the Medallion line?
99 out of 100 times I call the normal Diamond line. When s*** hits the fan and things get cray-cray and I'm at my wits end with delta... I call that number and the issue gets resolved. It's never my first point of contact, but it's the tool in my belt when things get sticky. Use with caution and exercise discretion.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
I have called after flights when I have had issues but never during. I loved the Red Coat at the gate tried to sell me that 8 people had bought tickets on the only flight of the day between PDX-NRT 5 hours after the departure time, I was always under the impression you can't buy seats after scheduled departure time anyway. He had no intention of giving me a seat that I paid 3400 for and used a SUG, it was meant for his buddies to get it. Glad the DM line and supervisor dropped the hammer and was having none of that. To take a line from the celebrity thread "Ain't nobody got time for that" - F. Flav
Was it the tall male Red Coat with greying hair? I've had issues with him before.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:10 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

it was a older african american gentleman, he said it was not normally his flight he was just filling in......I will not name names although I want to
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
it was a older african american gentleman, he said it was not normally his flight he was just filling in......I will not name names although I want to
DM line may have already done so, but share his name with DL Corp CS if you'd like.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:52 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by gooselee
DM line may have already done so, but share his name with DL Corp CS if you'd like.
I know the DM line did cause I could hear his end of the conversation and they asked his name. He was saying things like "the boarding passes have been issued already" and "there is nothing I can do now" "yes I understand 1d I will issue the new boarding pass and take care of it" I am guessing he got a earful about the situation as they were made aware that I was planning on coming back to the flight if it ended up leaving that night. This master plan of taking me off the flight and then putting me back on was the work of sky club on the phone with DM line and was assured prior the gate new what the situation was......again great job DM line!!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Technically, it wasn't SHENA at the beginning. The OP was booked on the next flight and the gate agents/red coat cleared the standby list to fill up the front cabin. Then, the OP comes to the desk asking to be put back on the flight and to bump someone the gate has already cleared into the front. I think the red coat's initial resistance showed poor judgment under the circumstances, but my guess is that this is an unusual situation with no set playbook for how to handle. The issue was resolved properly in the end thanks to the OP's persistence. Again, however, it does not appear that the red coat hatched a predisposed plan to clear his buddies into the front cabin at the expense of a paying customer who wasn't even on the flight at the time the standby list was cleared.

EDIT -- Maybe I should rethink this. I just reread the post above saying the OP's arrangement was discussed and confirmed with the gate agents BEFORE the non-rev list was cleared. Someone at the gate messed this up. Was it purposeful or did he/she just forget? It was likely incompetence. However, once the gate agent confirmed to the red coat that this had been arranged in advance, there really is no excuse for the red coat to refuse to correct the situation.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Redcoats generally start life with DL as GAs; think of them as empowered super GAs.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
PM on an L fare. MEM-ATL. 90 minutes before departure, DL's app says I was #1 for 4 seats. I get to the gate 40 minutes before departure and I'm #2 for 0 seats.

My colleague is a PM on a Q fare and got upgraded at check-in, 24 hours before departure.

Likely not shenanigans, but annoying nonetheless.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Technically, it wasn't SHENA at the beginning. The OP was booked on the next flight and the gate agents/red coat cleared the standby list to fill up the front cabin. Then, the OP comes to the desk asking to be put back on the flight and to bump someone the gate has already cleared into the front. I think the red coat's initial resistance showed poor judgment under the circumstances, but my guess is that this is an unusual situation with no set playbook for how to handle. The issue was resolved properly in the end thanks to the OP's persistence. Again, however, it does not appear that the red coat hatched a predisposed plan to clear his buddies into the front cabin at the expense of a paying customer who wasn't even on the flight at the time the standby list was cleared.

EDIT -- Maybe I should rethink this. I just reread the post above saying the OP's arrangement was discussed and confirmed with the gate agents BEFORE the non-rev list was cleared. Someone at the gate messed this up. Was it purposeful or did he/she just forget? It was likely incompetence. However, once the gate agent confirmed to the red coat that this had been arranged in advance, there really is no excuse for the red coat to refuse to correct the situation.
Could the problem have been that the GA cleared non revs into BE too early? That or forgetting about the OP's "arrangement" could be the cause, but refusing to change the situation and put the OP back into BE sounds to me like some staff members decided on their own that nonrevs "deserved" the BE seats over a paying frequent customer.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
So about 6 weeks ago I am on the PDX-NRT-BKK flight in M using a SUG. The flight was going to be delayed by IRROPS' for 6 hours and it was 50/50 if the flight was gonna go do to NRT curfew. I called the DM line and they rebooked me on the flight the next day and confirmed the UG, they were afraid if the flight did cancel I would not get the upgrade the next day so it was better to protect it now (very nice of them BTW). They also said that if my original flight did leave that night about 1hr before go see the red coat and have them put me back to my original seat no problems (there were 8 open seats left in J at the time and with a 6 hour delay no need to worry). So the flight ends up going, I go back to the GA and explain my situation. The red coat tells me it is no longer possible and J is now sold out. I ask him how they picked up 8 pax on a 6 hour flight and he looks pretty guilty as we both know a Non Rev now has my original seat and he tells me nothing can be done and I will have a seat in Y. At this point I call the DM line and they give me a supervisor. After telling the story she said she was very sorry and embarrassed and if I would be so kind as to hand my cell to the Red Coat. 4 minutes go by with some typing and poof I am handed my phone back with my original seat back, fallowed by a gate announcement for someone to approach the podium. I call this Shena avoided, but who knows, maybe some of you that know how this works more then I can tell me if I am wrong or what happened.
Awesome and well done sir. +1 million

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.