Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Old Oct 11, 2000, 10:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

Well folks, pending Delta revoking the proposed changes to the SWU policies, I will no longer be using Delta as my preferred carrier.

I recently moved to Charlotte, and I had actually planned on continuing to stay with Delta because always having to connect allowed me to maintain my Gold Medallion status for the previous years (out of New Orleans), so being at a US hub was not enough to win me over. However, I just can't stomach the changes they are making. As a Gold Medallion who does not fly more than 40,000 miles per year I will receive zero systemwide upgrades in the future. This is down from the two or four I receive under the current program each year. The fact that I can't use them on international flights either is definitely a minus, but it wouldn't effect me since I would earn zero of them.

I faxed US Airways documentation of my status with DL (and my girlfriend's too, who is a Silver Medallion), and within two weeks they comped us to equivalent levels in their program. With our new status with US Airways, we will now start using them as our preferred carrier ... it will be like the good old days on Delta (pre-1998) ... all my tickets will be upgradeable!

Well Delta ... it's been real ...
Old Oct 11, 2000, 10:45 am
geo1004

excellent....

Old Oct 11, 2000, 11:12 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Well first off, let me say that it is good to see you posting again. And welcome to USAirways! Or United or whatever it turns out to be.

Although you can't compare the route structure of the two airlines, overall I think you will be very pleased with US. (This will be the first year in 6 that I won't requalify for Medallion with Delta.)

IMHO, US treats its elite level fliers very well. Even when I was a Silver with US, my upgrade percentage was probably around 70%, and now that I'm Gold it is very near 100%.

Anyway, I look forward to your posts on the US forum and maybe even hooking up with you on a Charlotte connection sometime.

[This message has been edited by harold (edited 10-11-2000).]
Old Oct 11, 2000, 11:17 am
Original Member

Wow ... and I think most would agree that Beckles is probably DL's biggest fan on this board. The gauntlet has been laid, DL.

I've only taken one short trip on DL since early June. Already have GM for next year. All my flights for the rest of the year will be on UA and Star Alliance. UA comped my to PremEx in minutes. Can't see myself going back unless the upgrade changes are reversed.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 11:29 am
dg1

Welcome to the Dark Side.. well Dark Side if US merges with United. Till then welcome to the land of many upgrades, pleasant service, and pleasant hubs. Charlotte's a nice town too so enjoy it.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 11:46 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, as the huge DL fan that Beckles was, add me to the "shocked" list!

Happy Days on US!

BTW- Did they comp you just through the yearend ('til 2/01) or actually for next year as well?

Old Oct 11, 2000, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the BYE BYE DELTA CLUB beckles. If you remember I did it 4-5 years ago after flying 100k-200k mi/yr on them for mucho years. They disgusted me with their obvious indifference to the frequent traveler customer then......and it was obvious to me it was not going to get better for me as a frequent flyer. Interestingly enough my air travel pleasures improved. Life does go on, and it occasionally gets better. It did for me and hopefully will for you. Good luck!
Old Oct 11, 2000, 12:24 pm

Beckles:

Good for you, for putting your money where your mouth is.

Perhaps you already have, but I would hope you have also advised Delta (management) of your decision to move.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to hope that those of you who are jumping ship are still going to support us against the SWU policy!
Old Oct 11, 2000, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I preceded Beckles in leaving Delta.
It is obvious to me that Delta expected to lose some of us and doesn't care.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 2:07 pm

A good choice Beckles.

US Airways is my favorite airline. There are a lot of people who hold grudges against the old USAir and have carried those over to the new US Airways, but I truly believe that this is not your father's USAir. New Airbuses are coming online for both domestic and international travel. The Airbus A320/A319 is very comfortable in both cabins, and, from what I hear from family and FTers, the A330 is an exceptional aircraft in all three classes.

Charlotte Douglas is a great airport, and my favorite connecting point. I know from FT that a lot of others prefer CLT to other hubs (Chairman's Preferred).

And Dividend Miles is a great program. They are the only US airline to offer Systemwide Upgrades to ALL Preferred tiers. My father, as a Gold Preferred, has 100% upgrade ability on upgradeable flights (On delta, this means L fare...On US, this means flights with no FC!!) . Plus, it's like a Mini-Atlantic Excellence Alliance. You can earn and redeem miles on Swissair, Sabena, plus Alitalia, Northwest (transpacific), Qantas, and a variety of other carriers. Unfortunately, this will not count for Preferred membership. Plus, currently you can combine American AAdvantage points with Dividend Miles for awards on either/or/both airlines. But this is ending soon in anticipation of the United merger, so if you want to clean-out orphan AAdvantage miles, do it soon.

Welcome to US Airways. IMO US Airways truly loves to fly, and it shows.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I guess that they'll even upgrade you on their TWO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS!!
Old Oct 11, 2000, 5:11 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally posted by hfly:
Wow, I guess that they'll even upgrade you on their TWO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS!!
CLT has flights to LHR, FRA, and CDG, I believe, as does PIT. PHL has flights to:

Paris, France
Frankfurt, Germany
Munich, Germany
Rome, Italy
Madrid, Spain
London Gatwick, U.K.
Manchester, U.K.
Amsterdam, Netherlands (Effective April 11, 2001)

Plus, just about everywhere in the Caribbean, plus Bermuda, plus Cancun, plus Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, and London, Ontario). That is by no means shabby.

If you go pacific, you get dividend miles for miles flown on Northwest. They partner with what is left of Latinpass.....

Old Oct 11, 2000, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally posted by ClueByFour:
CLT has flights to LHR, FRA, and CDG, I believe, as does PIT. PHL has flights to:

Paris, France
Frankfurt, Germany
Munich, Germany
Rome, Italy
Madrid, Spain
London Gatwick, U.K.
Manchester, U.K.
Amsterdam, Netherlands (Effective April 11, 2001)

Plus, just about everywhere in the Caribbean, plus Bermuda, plus Cancun, plus Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, and London, Ontario). That is by no means shabby.

If you go pacific, you get dividend miles for miles flown on Northwest. They partner with what is left of Latinpass.....
Add to that Brussels in May
Old Oct 11, 2000, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, THAT MANY. Do they fly to these places from any REAL cities, or just hubs in the middle of nowhere?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.