Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2000, 6:11 pm

I agree . . . Delta will crash and burn with this change.

If you fly domestically, then nothing can beat AirTran through Atlanta rather than Delta. Pay with an AmEx (to get double points) and get a free ticket after 1 1/2 roundtrips in business or 3 in coach.

They'll also let you take two of their free tickets and PURCHASE a ticket on any other airline from Atlanta.

Delta sucks, Delta sucks, Delta sucks . . . this change in systemwides is the nail in the coffin.

- Joe
Old Oct 11, 2000, 6:22 pm

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
Originally posted by jleader:
Delta sucks, Delta sucks, Delta sucks . . . this change in systemwides is the nail in the coffin.

- Joe[/B]
Uh, Joe, forgive me, but if you're platinum on DL, why do you care about the change in SWUs? The new Platinum upgrades are far better than the old ones in that you can use them for a traveling companion (like the wife). I've never used a SWU (of course, I don't travel int'l all that much).
Old Oct 11, 2000, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Beckles,

Welcome to the elite flyers on US Airways; the few, the proud, the people in FC.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 6:31 pm

Not a big US fan, eh, hfly?

Actually, the primary Europenan hub is one of the biggest metropolises in the nation, and is one of American's most important historical cities. Site of the Continental Congresses and Philadelphia Conventions, birthplace of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States of America.

Charlotte is a booming business town, home of two of the largest banks in the country.

US Airways is a dominant carrier in many of the East Coast cities, including New York, Boston, and Washington.

US Airways serves pretty much equal European destinations as American and United. If you are connecting in ATL to fly DL to Europe, CLT, PIT, or PHL would be an easier connecting for you IMO. Yes, even PHL.

Hfly, where are you from? Your profile is void of suchinformation.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right I hate USAIR as I do American as well. While my profile is void of such info, those who read my posts often know that my personal hubs are: JFK, LAX, LHR, NCE and IST (with JFk as the center of my universe), I live in no one place. Therefore there is no way in hell that Allegheny would meet my needs. I used to fly them quite a lot and never liked them. Their planes, the staff, nor their cities.

BTW, referring to an above comment. As a Platinum, whose wife is a Gold Medallion, and who flies transatlantic at least 24 times a year, the SWU thing is a net net loss(IE, my wife will get no upgrades, so I'll have to use mine for her, therefore figure it this way.

Currently I fly 22-24 segments a year Transatlantic, lets say 24 ((12RT's)). Half business half personal. Business is paid business, personal is B or M fare. Let's say three are with the wife. She generally flies two other big trips without me.

For the trips where we're together we both use SWU's. Maybe she'll be one short during the year and I could use some miles for that (or she for that matter). My other 3 or four trips I have SWU's for. Everything works out great.

Under the new system, I (the company)will still pay my way half the time in Business, great. I can fly with my wife 3 times (Great). And then I will burn 120,000 miles a year for a benefit that I used to have. According to this system I will have no miles left in a few years.

This same situation applies to many Platinums. Furthermore, in other years when I have had not had so many paid Business tickets, the calculations were much different against me, as it does for many others.

Old Oct 11, 2000, 8:57 pm
dg1

USAirways flies from Pittsburgh and Charlotte to three cities: London (Gatwick), Frankfurt, and Paris. USAirways flies to all these three cities from Philly and several more, Amsterdam (soon), Brussels (soon), Rome, Manchester, Madrid and Munich.

If you're going to have to connect PIT and CLT are great places to connect. Pittsburgh has been ranked #1 airport in the US along with Cincy many years. Both have very little weather problems and both are newer airports with plenty of things to do and see. PHL is a nice airport, just part of the Northeastern mess so it's hard to like.

I always say if USAirways goes where you need to go it's one of the best choices. Of course the qualifier 'if it goes there' is very important.

I might balance out Beckles if the merger goes through for US/UA since I'm considering switch to Delta.

BTW, You're insulting millions upon millions of people who live in the 'middle of nowhere'. Don't like the airline, that's fair ... no need to get mean about cities. That's just insulting.

[This message has been edited by dg1 (edited 10-11-2000).]
Old Oct 11, 2000, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Am I the only one staying with DL because I will make PM next year again?

Beckles... FWIW I am going to miss seeing you (as I have in the last several weeks) talking about DL. But I think it's the only way to express your sentiments... with your pocketbook. It's sad that management makes decisions and doesn't understand the ramifications.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 10:25 pm

And maybe one of the biggest benefits of all ..... no more ASA !!!!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2000, 10:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Thanks for everyone's comments ...

I look forward to trying and experiencing a new airline. my only concern is upgrading out of Charlotte ... we'll see how that goes ... at least since the upgrade window opens at midnight, you don't have the connecting flyers getting an advantage on upgrades like on DL where it's 72 hours from your first flight.

As for supporting the fight ... unfortunately with my new job my time is at a premium. I did send Randy a much more detailed version of my story, again reiterating that DL does have a chance to keep Nancy and I, a Silver and Gold Medallion member, from jumping ship ... until the end of the year ...

dg1 ~ Don't do it ... you're going to be awfully pissed sitting in coach when you get those U and L fares ... unless you like paying $100+ more just to get a fare to try and upgrade ...
Old Oct 12, 2000, 6:23 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Welcome to beautiful western NC and to USAIR! I'm 20 segs away from Chairman's, so I obviously fly US a lot - all from CLT! I live about an hour from CLT, so we should meet for drinks sometime! For all the grumbling, USAIR has been very good to me and it just doesn't make sense out of CLT to try to maintain elite on anyone else. I hope you're happy here!

By the way hfly - as someone who has lived in Boston, Dallas, LA, Atlanta and now NC, we hope everyone considers us the 'middle of nowhere' and stay where they are! (****ed yankees being defined as those who come to visit and stay! }

[This message has been edited by svpii (edited 10-12-2000).]
Old Oct 12, 2000, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I certainly can't argue with someone in the Charlotte area flying USAir. However, my experience has been that for those in the southeast outside of CLT, USAir offers far fewer connecting opportunities and much worse connections than Delta does at ATL.

The connections from secondary cities through CLT tend to be poorly timed and hence lengthy. They just don't have the frequency into and out of CLT like Delta does in ATL. Granted, this frequency may backfire and create delays in ATL at times, but who wants to layover at the airport in CLT for two hours on a routine basis?
Old Oct 12, 2000, 8:50 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

hfly-

Trying to make some new friends?

C'mon!
Old Oct 12, 2000, 9:06 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I live in Atlanta so I have to stay with Delta. I just made PM so I should be good for next year.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last I saw, this is the Delta board. In my humble opinion Delta is about a million times better than Allegheny even without the SWU's. This is why that even though I may switch carriers due to the SWU issue, I would never ever switch to Allegheny. I even took them to court about 8 years ago due to an incident where I was injured by an Allegheny idiot in LaGuardia.

BTW, I have never gone on to any other threads promoting my favoured airlines even in the best of times. You all must realize that these reactions are due to a post on the Allegheny board about Beckles "defection".

I can of course understand someone who lives in an Allegheny hub city flying them-no choice. Otherwise forget it!
Old Oct 12, 2000, 10:15 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
First, to defend my new US Airways brethren, the post on the US Airways board proclaiming my defection came after most of the posts in this thread, so they are not here just because of that.

Second, maybe you haven't heard, but Allegheny ain't around no more Sorry you've had a bad experience with a former life of US Airways (of which there are many), but based on upgrade policy, one of the more important factors for choosing a program, US Airways now has a huge advantage over Delta as I'll still earn systemwide upgrades plus I'll get back my old benefit of being able to upgrade any fare.

This is not to say that I'm happy with everything about US Airways. Actually, I'm kind of disappointed they bought Airbus aircraft ... I think large American companies should support other large American companies, so I very much liked that DL bought Boeing. However, that is not an overriding criteria for me ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.