Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel refuses Delta Voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, Hertz
Hotel refuses Delta Voucher?

Has anyone ever had this happen? Landed in Detroit, flight home cancelled with no more until tomorrow. Delta gives me the usual hotel voucher, take the shuttle to the hotel and the hotel says "sorry we're at our voucher limit, we're only accepting paying customers." I kid you not.

There are 10 or so people standing here with vouchers, they are taking people that are paying cash or CC.

How does Delta allow this?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cxxviii
Has anyone ever had this happen? Landed in Detroit, flight home cancelled with no more until tomorrow. Delta gives me the usual hotel voucher, take the shuttle to the hotel and the hotel says "sorry we're at our voucher limit, we're only accepting paying customers." I kid you not.

There are 10 or so people standing here with vouchers, they are taking people that are paying cash or CC.

That's totally unacceptable. Have you tried calling Delta? See if you can get something in writing from the hotel
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

This happens somewhat frequently. Delta cannot guarantee that a hotel will honor the hotel vouchers unfortunately.....and actually that is why they give out vouchers for many different hotels usually (because they only have an agreement with each hotel for X amount of rooms, if it exceeds that number the hotel can honor them or turn them away). Always frustrating when it happens. Did DL give you a voucher for a complimentary hotel or a discounted $50 rate or something like that?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

It's a free hotel room voucher. And the extra bonus is that due to the weather in Detroit, they have no idea if/whether any cabs will be avilable to go elsewhere.

It seems very strange to me, this happens a lot to me (the dangers of travel to Northern Michigan) and they often say "sorry that hotel is full". So they obviously have some way to monitor room availability - how can they give a voucher to a Diamond (or anyone for that matter), have you spend an hour getting to that hotel and then find out they won't take the voucher??

Keep in mind, they HAVE rooms. They are letting 'cash' customers check in. Just not those with vouchers.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:19 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Pay for the room, get a receipt, and work it out later.

Also, if the hotel in question has a guarantee of satisfaction, feel free to avail yourself of that service.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: Gold elite, Amex plat. H Honors
compensation for mechanical delay

I am in Montreal and have how been cancelled twice., for todays flight at 12:50 thru ATL to TPA.
Given rebook at 5:30 am 2/22 for flight from YUL to Detroit to Tampa. Just got word that was cancelled due to mechanics. Next flight I am booked on is same as original itinerary ,1 day later. I said I would stay at my downtown hotel rather than join the flight at the airport.
Fellow tonight offered my $75 as compensation for 24 hour delay. I said unacceptable for hotel, food, missed day of work and appointments.
what is best way to get reasonable compensation? I am lowly silver but have Plat Bus AMEX?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
Pay for the room, get a receipt, and work it out later.

Also, if the hotel in question has a guarantee of satisfaction, feel free to avail yourself of that service.
+1.....That is a good idea, DL has a refunds department and they cut out checks. Sometimes you can guarantee the hotel with your CC and then give them the voucher in the morning too when someone else is working and they will likely accept it.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

My thoughts exactly, I paid for the room and I'll deal with Delta tomorrow. We'll see. I'll also call the hotel, not as much clout with them though.

The silver lining is that the hotel only charged me $129. Two weeks ago when I was stranded in the Detroit snowstorm they gouged me for $299 at the same hotel room.

Hotel room pricing is almost as ridiculous as airfare...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
My thoughts exactly, I paid for the room and I'll deal with Delta tomorrow. We'll see. I'll also call the hotel, not as much clout with them though.

The silver lining is that the hotel only charged me $129. Two weeks ago when I was stranded in the Detroit snowstorm they gouged me for $299 at the same hotel room.

Hotel room pricing is almost as ridiculous as airfare...
That's just foul. What hotel is that ? I was stuck in the storm at DTW 2 weeks ago also, and had no problem with DL vouchers at the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn. Rode there in a totally packed hotel shuttle, filled with DL voucher folk like myself.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Happened to me a few times (JFK, ELP and ATL come to mind). Had a similar situation in DTW once, where all the reasonably decent hotels DL offers vouchers were fully booked. They gave me a voucher for some nasty hotel, who didn't have a shuttle AND when I called they said "I'm not sure we have any rooms available"

What I do is I find a reasonable hotel around the airport, pay out of my pocket and then email DL. I have always been reimbursed, and I don't think DL has ever even asked me for a receipt...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Was it the DTW airport Westin? They refused a voucher I received once... (fairly rudely, I might add - I've avoided Starwood properties since then, it left such a bad taste in my mouth. Shame, because I'm otherwise a huge fan...)

Delta was fantastic about it - overly apologetic about it even though it totally wasn't their fault, and they quickly wrote me out a voucher for the Hilton Garden Inn which was a perfectly pleasant place to stay.

Funny side story: I did have to go to the A40 service recovery center to pick up the new voucher. I tried to reclear security through the checkpoint and the TSA dude gleefully denied me because my boarding pass was for 6am the following morning.

I went up to the counter, explained the story, and they issued me a gate pass with a fantastically hilarious justification printed on it, something along the lines of "TO GET PAST TSA". The smurf was obviously not amused, but he didn't have much say in the matter anymore
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: DL GM

I just can not believe any hotels in Detroit would ever fully booked!!!man we are talking about the motor city!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:38 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
This happens somewhat frequently. Delta cannot guarantee that a hotel will honor the hotel vouchers unfortunately.....and actually that is why they give out vouchers for many different hotels usually (because they only have an agreement with each hotel for X amount of rooms, if it exceeds that number the hotel can honor them or turn them away). Always frustrating when it happens. Did DL give you a voucher for a complimentary hotel or a discounted $50 rate or something like that?
I am sorry but that is absolute bullsh!t. Delta should know how many rooms they are allocated at each hotel, so they only print out that maximum number of vouchers. If they start printing vouchers like the US government prints money, they are following a treacherously steep slope. I assume their computer programming to keep track of this is as bad or worse than their online award booking engine!

I would be on the phone with DL and asking them about it.

I am always hesitant to "assume" DL (or any company for that matter) would reimburse me for something after the fact if I don't have it in writing. Most often Delta and other airlines offer credits or miles. It is relatively uncommon for them to cut someone a check (though they did it for me on two occasions the past few years, but not for a hotel). Perhaps DL would say, "We would have only paid $59 for that room if you used the voucher, so we are only going to reimburse you $59." Who knows. Nothing is in writing except a worthless voucher.

Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

Be happy DELTA is making money and can now pay the bills. Back in the day I had a NWA one to a hotel at ORD and they said I could not stay because NWA credit is no good because they do not pay their bills! (vouchers).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Be happy DELTA is making money and can now pay the bills. Back in the day I had a NWA one to a hotel at ORD and they said I could not stay because NWA credit is no good because they do not pay their bills! (vouchers).
Marriott in Memphis sometimes still refuses to release rooms to DL unless they are current in their invoices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.